GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf R Autocross

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Anyone else planning on autoxing their R?

I'm newer to the autox scene (3 events under my belt) and have only done one, noncompetitive, event. Anyone building their R to compete or any experts running their R?

Looking for general discussion and planning, along with build plans. uploadfromtaptalk1453263625385.jpg
My R

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DanielSL

Ready to race!
I will be running my GTi in Auto-X this next summer. Will not be ready until at least summer.
I am currently undergoing baseline and modified dyno runs, and 1/4 mile runs, but I will not Auto-X until my modifications are where I want them.

I have run Rabbit GTi (podium), Golf Mk 2 GTi, Porsche 944 (event 1st place, and several podium finishes in A street prepared (ASP)), Porsche 914, Porsche 951 (podium), and Porsche 914-6 (podium); in Auto-X back in the 90's, so I am looking forward to getting back into that part of competition with the GTi. Currently building a Rallycross car as well, so need some time to figure the Mk. 7 geometry out.

Definitely going with lowering springs, better tires, bigger brakes, and bigger rear sway bar before it ever sees a course at all.

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot about autocross in a gti. I was hoping for some builds specific to the R.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Base classing for MK7 R is B-Street, which is a hard class for the car considering the car is kinda heavy still and not enough wheel width(even with the 19x8 option wheels).

In Street Touring trim the car is in STX, which might actually be an interesting class(not sure if competitive) since most boost buggies like STI or Evo are in STU.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Base classing for MK7 R is B-Street, which is a hard class for the car considering the car is kinda heavy still and not enough wheel width(even with the 19x8 option wheels).

In Street Touring trim the car is in STX, which might actually be an interesting class(not sure if competitive) since most boost buggies like STI or Evo are in STU.

Idk the RX8's and GT86 twins are still fast as hell in STX

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R

Looks like the last two years were won in stx by ft86 brothers. I feel like the R could compete with that.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of s2000s and WRXs in STX. That seems like a good match for the R.

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
So, the s2000s are still in B street, just not stx. B street might be fairly competitive for me with a sway bar and some wider tires.

STX is sort of a wide range. If I were to guess, I'd say ft86 or focus ST will rule there. Though, I've seen some gnarly speed6s and 3 series bimmers.

Also, the new WRXs (non STI) are in STX.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Last few years, STX is mainly the stumping ground for the twins and RX8, with some odd ball cars spliced in in 128i, or E36 BMWs. WRX have been competitive but to to the extent of the others. There are a few nationally competitive Mini Cooper S's too. Focus ST is generally not competitive, but I don't think anyone campaigned one seriously. Jonathan Lugod(was nationally competitive in a C5 FRC in STU) for the OS Giken is building one this year for the class so that ought to be interesting. The class generally favors the lighter RWD cars at least from the trend, since you can't really drop weight in significant chunk the heavier hatches tend to be an issue. Mini being light has that going for it. I think the Golf R might be interesting since its lighter than past gen, more power, under STX rule you can run wider wheels(but still limited to 245 tires), and free to mess with Haldex controller(I think), and DSG tune. If you can get a custom tune with stock boost to work with intake, exhaust and downpipe you might get extra power. Though I supposed the same can be said for Subaru. Considering I'd slot R being kinda in between STI/Evo and WRX stock, being in a lower ST class is an advantage for the car I think.

I think BS is a tough ask. SCCA played it safe in classing it there, I think they were wary of the TT effect from a few years back when it was in DS. Golf R is similar to TT in many ways but what made TT especially competitive was the 9"(!) wide wheels. In Street class that is a huge advatage in the tire size you can run with sidewall support instead of the normal pinched fitment. Pairing a relatively light TT(still lighter than R IIRC) with lots of tires(265 or 275s) was making it an overdog in DS so they moved it to BS. Golf R got classed in BS from the get go without having the wheel size advantage of the TT is a bummer, IMO.

S2000 is in STR

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Last few years, STX is mainly the stumping ground for the twins and RX8, with some odd ball cars spliced in in 128i, or E36 BMWs. WRX have been competitive but to to the extent of the others. There are a few nationally competitive Mini Cooper S's too. Focus ST is generally not competitive, but I don't think anyone campaigned one seriously. Jonathan Lugod(was nationally competitive in a C5 FRC in STU) for the OS Giken is building one this year for the class so that ought to be interesting. The class generally favors the lighter RWD cars at least from the trend, since you can't really drop weight in significant chunk the heavier hatches tend to be an issue. Mini being light has that going for it. I think the Golf R might be interesting since its lighter than past gen, more power, under STX rule you can run wider wheels(but still limited to 245 tires), and free to mess with Haldex controller(I think), and DSG tune. If you can get a custom tune with stock boost to work with intake, exhaust and downpipe you might get extra power. Though I supposed the same can be said for Subaru. Considering I'd slot R being kinda in between STI/Evo and WRX stock, being in a lower ST class is an advantage for the car I think.

I think BS is a tough ask. SCCA played it safe in classing it there, I think they were wary of the TT effect from a few years back when it was in DS. Golf R is similar to TT in many ways but what made TT especially competitive was the 9"(!) wide wheels. In Street class that is a huge advatage in the tire size you can run with sidewall support instead of the normal pinched fitment. Pairing a relatively light TT(still lighter than R IIRC) with lots of tires(265 or 275s) was making it an overdog in DS so they moved it to BS. Golf R got classed in BS from the get go without having the wheel size advantage of the TT is a bummer, IMO.

S2000 is in STR
Thanks for your input.

When you say the R is between Evo and WRX, do you mean regular WRX or STI. I've only done one event with my R (got it early fall), I walked the WRX that was there and was only about a second behind an experienced Evo X driver who would probably be running street touring (tune, suspension, probably sway bar, definitely bigger tires). There wasn't an STI there, but I imagine it wouldn't have dominated.

I know one isolated incident isn't conclusive. Driver level would make the biggest difference. Just wondering.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I mean R is kinda slotted between STI/Evo and regular WRXs. The power level is in between, I think the R is a bit lighter than WRX and I think stock suspension tuning the VW is a bit better.

STI do tend to be hurt by their short gearing sometimes too. Though I think R is kinda the same.

alexdog1

My suggestion would be to run a season in b street. Get to know the car. The R might not be competitive nationally, but locally you might be okay. Our local hot shoe ran an event in a borrowed R on stock tires and kicked ass in BS. So locally it could come down to driver ability. In my experience, if you go STX, you're going to have to go all the way and that could get expensive.

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Yeah I mean R is kinda slotted between STI/Evo and regular WRXs. The power level is in between, I think the R is a bit lighter than WRX and I think stock suspension tuning the VW is a bit better.

STI do tend to be hurt by their short gearing sometimes too. Though I think R is kinda the same.

My R is 6MT and I didn't have any issues with gearing. 2nd will take me up to 60mph, which I understand is at the ceiling for autox speeds.

Also, I think the R could be very competitive with the STi and Evo. But I'll just do my best to prove it on the track. Stay tuned in the Mk7 vs... thread.
My suggestion would be to run a season in b street. Get to know the car. The R might not be competitive nationally, but locally you might be okay. Our local hot shoe ran an event in a borrowed R on stock tires and kicked ass in BS. So locally it could come down to driver ability. In my experience, if you go STX, you're going to have to go all the way and that could get expensive.
I'm planning to run stock for a bit anyway, I'm just looking ahead. Maybe I'll try for a sway bar before this season starts and leave it at that.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but stx with my R would basically be stage 2 (tune + catless downpipe), suspension (sway, springs/coils), and wheels, right? That can be had for not too bad a price.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
My R is 6MT and I didn't have any issues with gearing. 2nd will take me up to 60mph, which I understand is at the ceiling for autox speeds.

Also, I think the R could be very competitive with the STi and Evo. But I'll just do my best to prove it on the track. Stay tuned in the Mk7 vs... thread.

I'm planning to run stock for a bit anyway, I'm just looking ahead. Maybe I'll try for a sway bar before this season starts and leave it at that.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but stx with my R would basically be stage 2 (tune + catless downpipe), suspension (sway, springs/coils), and wheels, right? That can be had for not too bad a price.

60 is probably on the low end of where you want to be gearing wise. Depends on the style of courses though. Our local courses are slow, so 60 is fine, but if you have larger sites locally(or national style courses) 60 is probably not enough. Ideally 62-65 is what most wants. GTI has a 72mph 2nd, which would be great if its a big V8 car, as it stands it kinda hurts me in the local slower course as it puts the car off boost.

STX allows tune and downpipe, but the key is you cannot run more boost. They allow for increase in boost as a result of hardware, but not from programming standpoint. Any increase in boost through programming puts you to SM.

I don't think R is slower to the boost buggies necessarily stock, just under the prep level in BS you will be at a disadvantage. They classed it in STX instead of STU with the boost buggies is actually a good thing.