GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
I would love to take a peek at your coding info. At a quick glance at your earlier posts, it seems like you bought 5G0907044BD? That's the one I got, too. It looks like Goodbar's unit is 5GM907044A?

This seems plausible. Good thinking, as always.
Ugh, these thread notifications keep going to spam. I decided to try a newer panel ($30 shipped from eBay; 5GM 907 044 H from a 2019 Jetta). It didn't change my recirc issue, which I ultimately solved with coding, but it does interact correctly with the MIB2 infotainment screen. The A revision didn't display the temps and had some other quirks on-screen (not a huge deal, but nice to have things working as intended).

For those upgrading — other than early Mk7s with MIB1 — probably worth getting something newer than the A rev.

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
Ugh, these thread notifications keep going to spam. I decided to try a newer panel ($30 shipped from eBay; 5GM 907 044 H from a 2019 Jetta). It didn't change my recirc issue, which I ultimately solved with coding, but it does interact correctly with the MIB2 infotainment screen. The A revision didn't display the temps and had some other quirks on-screen (not a huge deal, but nice to have things working as intended).

For those upgrading — other than early Mk7s with MIB1 — probably worth getting something newer than the A rev.

Thank you for clarifying that the "bit 3" change was applicable to an H revision unit. And you bring up an interesting point about older panels intended to be used with older infotainment. My BD revision, though, seems to be listed across 2015-2017 models (I have a 2017 GSW).

I really want to solve this recirc issue. It's actually quite a pain not to be able to get a fully fresh air flow; it seems like recirc will fully close the flap, but non-recirc only cracks it open slightly. I think I'd be willing to find a cheap Jetta unit like yours and play around with it, but would you having a facelift model affect my ability to duplicate your success? You mentioned that your new panel interacts correctly with your infotainment, but isn't yours an MiB 2.5 (as opposed to my 2)?

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Thank you for clarifying that the "bit 3" change was applicable to an H revision unit. And you bring up an interesting point about older panels intended to be used with older infotainment. My BD revision, though, seems to be listed across 2015-2017 models (I have a 2017 GSW).

I really want to solve this recirc issue. It's actually quite a pain not to be able to get a fully fresh air flow; it seems like recirc will fully close the flap, but non-recirc only cracks it open slightly. I think I'd be willing to find a cheap Jetta unit like yours and play around with it, but would you having a facelift model affect my ability to duplicate your success? You mentioned that your new panel interacts correctly with your infotainment, but isn't yours an MiB 2.5 (as opposed to my 2)?
Oh, maybe it is MiB 2.5, sorry. I had the same VCDS options with the A rev, though. Want me to send you my A rev and you can pay a fair price if it works?

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
I would love to take a peek at your coding info. At a quick glance at your earlier posts, it seems like you bought 5G0907044BD? That's the one I got, too. It looks like Goodbar's unit is 5GM907044A?

This seems plausible. Good thinking, as always.

Checking in again. I have not been able to solve the recirc issue. @davegsm82 , are you able to post your coding information on your 5G0907044BD unit?

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Checking in again. I have not been able to solve the recirc issue. @davegsm82 , are you able to post your coding information on your 5G0907044BD unit?

Hi Belthasar, I'll see if I can dig out my cable and do a read on it.

Regards, Dave.

EDIT: I just looked through my Logs folder and found one with a scan of the HVAC unit, the coding string is as follows;

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
Hi Belthasar, I'll see if I can dig out my cable and do a read on it.

Regards, Dave.

EDIT: I just looked through my Logs folder and found one with a scan of the HVAC unit, the coding string is as follows;

Thanks, Dave!

I compared my coding string to yours. Mine was:

The first few bits are benign differences (body style, LHD vs RHD, petrol vs diesel, etc.). The other few differences in your coding vs mine doesn't seem to be related to the recirc function. Nonetheless, I tried your coding and it did not solve the recirc issue. It still won't pass 32% unless the recirc flap test is running.

Are you sure that your recirc function is functioning normally? I noticed that your coding string does not have the Byte 6, Bit 3 fix that @Goodbar posted (note: your coding string with that enabled still did not fix recirc for me).

I'm wondering what to do next. I really would like to fix this, as running recirc between 0 and 100% in the test mode reveals that there's quite a difference in cabin feel when fresh air is at 100%.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Thanks, Dave!

The first few bits are benign differences (body style, LHD vs RHD, petrol vs diesel, etc.). The other few differences in your coding vs mine doesn't seem to be related to the recirc function. Nonetheless, I tried your coding and it did not solve the recirc issue. It still won't pass 32% unless the recirc flap test is running.

Are you sure that your recirc function is functioning normally? I noticed that your coding string does not have the Byte 6, Bit 3 fix that @Goodbar posted (note: your coding string with that enabled still did not fix recirc for me).

I'm wondering what to do next. I really would like to fix this, as running recirc between 0 and 100% in the test mode reveals that there's quite a difference in cabin feel when fresh air is at 100%.

Hi Belthasar, I'm pretty sure it's working fine... but... I haven't looked at it since I did the conversion.

If I get some time I'll plug in and read, and check the flap percentage, and get back to you. I haven't got time to turn around at the minute though, with work and what have you.

I really should look for my OBD2 cable....

Regards, Dave.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Thanks, Dave!

@Belthasar - I plugged in tonight trying to trace a fault with my auto-wipers, sure enough, mine won't go past 32% unless you're running the flap calibration.

However, I noticed when clicking through the ID's that 0% is actually full fresh air (at least, according to one of the ID's), 32% is actually 32% recirculated air, not 32% fresh air, if that makes sense?

I have to wonder if 32% recirc changes depending on other factors such as road speed/temperature differential etc. Also, from memory I think the Recirc flap should close off the outside air when the ignition is turned off, so it will be interesting to see if that happens.

Unfortunately I'm a little bit crippled so getting my glovebox pulled out to look behind is a bit beyond me at the moment, hopefully I will be able to get in there and have a look myself at some point though. My initial thoughts are that I could potentially use a resistor to fool the feedback system into thinking that the 32% is actually closer to 10%, meaning it would drive to ~90%.

Regards, Dave.

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
Thanks for the update and for sharing your thoughts, Dave. And for your clarification that the percentage refers to how much of the air in the cabin is recirculated.

That's also an interesting conjecture that the system may change recirc amount based on other factors. Might be worth data logging while driving to verify, and to also check the thought that it's supposed to close off outside air when ignition is off - easy enough to verify next time one of us has VCDS fired up.

However, if the 32% thing is normal and external factors determine further changes, then I wouldn't expect @Goodbar to have reported different measured values when he changed out his panel.

I actually decided to follow his footsteps and ordered a new-ish panel from a 2019 Jetta (5GM 907 044 M). I couldn't get revision H, but the price on the M was reasonable. Hopefully this plays well with MiB 2 and doesn't need 2.5 to function as intended.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I see there are tons of panels available on eBay for sub $30, all part numbers 5GM907044P. Does anyone foresee any issues using those?

Attachments

• s-l960 (1).jpg
    s-l960 (1).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 40
  • s-l960.jpg
    s-l960.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 44

Alvi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 SE
Hi all,

I just completed this retrofit using a NAR climate unit (has the MAX A/C button) using the aliexpress wiring harness/temp sensors. Everything is working well in terms of temperature adjustment and A/C function.

The only thing that is concerning to me is that in VCDS the left vent sensor (G150 - straight sensor) is reporting 85.0C and says open or short to plus as a fault. I pinned it into the 20 pin connector with the green/yellow wire into pin 13 and the green/purple wire in pin 17 as according to the VW wiring diagram.

The footwell sensor (G192 - 90 degree sensor) is working correctly and reports a reasonable value based on the temperature setting on the climate control unit. I did also notice that there is an "internal temperature" setting in VCDS and again that reads a normal value, so I'm not sure if that could be related to the vent temp, but I doubt that.

Right now, my thought is that the temperature sensor from aliexpress is faulty, but I'm wondering if there is something else that could be the issue.

Edit: I bought an OEM sensor (1K0907543E) from FCP euro, and that fixed the issue. I have a correct temp for the left air vent!
Hi Everyone, (I am new here as just bought a VW MK7 Golf and need some advice from the Pros) I know you have posted this a while ago and I have come across this issue as I am exactly in the same boat as you. I have been trying to test the best solution to install a new unit than the Manual Climate control unit I have at the moment. So as a test I bought the Newer version of the (a) Climate control unit with has dials but with Digital Climate control display on each side (Genuine) and also bought the (b) New Black Fully Touch version from Ali express. (Suppose to work like genuine). So I have the same error as you with the (a) unit and also the flaps not working correctly as some have mentioned. (Done all the Hold Button Calibration thing) and have error in VCDS and the Temp Sensor Right is showing 85.0c and Left one ok at 11.0. I have swapped the Temp Sensors around but the error remain on the same side and if I remove the Pins the data reads 0.0. (also have other errors in VCDS as well. I am not sure if the Pins you inserted in 17 and 13 have Polarity? Any help from any one here would be greatly appreciated. Now going to the Black touch Screen which is a Made in China and VCDS does not allow to make any changes and shows an error but AC and Flaps do not work correctly either.

Alvi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 SE
Dave, thanks for binging this to our attention and taking the time to put together a detailed write up. A couple years ago I attempted this retrofit studied schematics and parts list, but when I found out there was two different climatic boxes it was a non-starter. Now that I understand non-dual zone I can live with limitations as this is just "cool/hot" project. Kit is on order.

I did have to read the entire thread forward and backward to understand placement of the temperature sensors. Thanks to you, IWMTom and Rollback50K (it takes a village) for clearing that up for me.

It may be helpful to include in original post a discussion of sensor placement. The straight temperature sensor G150 is a quarter twist type and goes in upper passenger vent end. G192 is 90° degree sensor and goes straight in to the drivers side manifold which is connected to footwell vent. The footwell vent is the piece that looks like a manifold and the piece it connects to is where the sensor goes on the top where there is flat spot. The flat spot may have a plug for inserting temperature sensor or may need to be drilled to accommodate.

Original VW part numbers for temperature sensors are 5Q0-907-543 for lower footwell 90° G192 sensor and 1K0-907-543-E is the upper vent sensor.
Please can someone also share the image and PIN numbers on the connectors.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Has anyone observed the recirculation flap position and behavior after installing the Climatronic panel? I recently replaced my cabin filter and hit the recirc button while the filter was out to see what happened in Auto. It appeared to go from 100% fresh to about 50%. I was a little surprised, so I ran "Adapt flap end stops" from Basic Settings in VCDS. Now it goes from 50% fresh to 0% fresh. Weird. My panel is PN: 5GM 907 044 A

Running the output test to activate the recirculation motor sent it from 100% to 0% fresh, as expected. Still puzzled, I looked up the cabin intake duct (with recirc motor) for manual and Climatronic cars and they are different. The servo, sold individually, also has a different part number.

Climatronic
Assembly: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...Cabin-Air-Intake-Duct/97176067/5WB898304.html
Servo: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...n/Actuator-Door-HVAC/78750165/2Q0907511F.html

Manual
Assembly: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...-AWD-S-Wagon/Duct-Air/97175989/5WA898304.html
Servo: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...ctuator-HVAC-Door-Air/53763849/5Q0907511.html

Can anyone confirm operation on their car? Incidentally, the recirc codes reappeared after adapting the end stops.
Following up on my earlier post. I thought I'd figured out how to get the recirc flap to function correctly with a coding change, but the result was the recirc mode being reversed from what's indicated on the Climatronic panel! My windows were fogging up in cold weather even with the A/C on (mostly when the whole family was in the car), so I finally looked up into the cabin filter slot to confirm. I switched the coding back to original even though that means it's not 100% fresh when in that setting.

I think we (meaning budget retrofit Climatronic folks) will have to accept some recirc flap wonkiness, because the servo and wiring is different on factory Climatronic cars. (Why did VW do this for recirc and defrost servos?! I'd think those things would function the same for both HVAC types.)

This is the wiring diagram for the Climatronic recirc servo, which has 4 wires and is identified as V425 (with G44 position sensor):

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 2.31.01 PM.png

Meanwhile, manual HVAC cars have 2 wires to a servo named V113:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 2.34.55 PM.png

What I don't get is that I can read the recirc door position in VCDS even with the 2-wire servo. But it appears that a different servo and additional wiring are needed for full compatibility. Anyone found something different?