GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Racing seat install

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
Just wanted to give my experience for anyone that may encounter this..

There are plenty of threads detailing how to install a racing seat in a mk7, but I ran into unforeseen issues I want to share.

I originally ordered the track hack air bag solenoid with my seat, base, and harness and they sat in my basement for the winter. 2 weeks ago I went to install thinking that I was going to be all set - I was - but only kinda. Seat went in with only a bit of issue ( can’t fully torque 2 seat bolts with a Sparco seat base) but otherwise fine. Track hack solenoid plugged in was supposed to alleviate the air bag light but I quickly learned that you need to REMOVE THE ENTIRE SEAT HARNESS, or 1 of the 2 of them on the leather, power, heated seats, to get no air bag codes. That’s because the “seat rail or seat position sensor will trip an air bag code, too.
IMG_6298.png

You need to plug this in as well….

IMG_6299.jpeg

That said, I did not want to cut this off of the harness to trick the computer because I plan to put this seat back in for the winters. Therefore, I had to track and remove the harness and find a home for it underneath my Sparco seat.
IMG_6301.jpeg
I suppose you could pay the immense amount of money for one if you don’t feel like taking it out of your stock seat, but this wasn’t too tough, just some ‘wtf’ moments and swearing. I don’t have an answer on whether or not it works if you create your own “track hack” solenoid - care to be the guinea pig?!?! I secured the harness without any mess and haven’t had any lights or issues since.

This was not necessary for a mk7 gti that a buddy of mine did seat swaps with, too, so I’m unsure of whether or not this was out in the known world - or better yet - recorded. So, World, you’re welcome.
IMG_6302.jpeg
IMG_6314.jpeg