GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk6 vs 325i

mrbenyong

Passed Driver's Ed
hey everyone,
i had to make a tough decision to buy the golf 6 gti over the 325 sport.

at first i was going to get the 325i over the gti mk5, despite the big price difference, because of RWD and style. but after the mk6 came out... there was just too many extras in the new gti that made me give up the 3 series. (especially considering the price).

these are the main reasons:
adjustable damping
turbocharging performance (plus potential upgrades)
XDS differential.
ABT tuning options (19" wheels, carbon bodykit, ecu chip upgrade 260hp, quad exhaust, DSG). it even comes with a warranty!!!!!!!!...
less depreciation.

I really dont like FWD but there is just too much goodies to give up. (i driven the ABT gti mk5 and i already know its way faster than a 325i (my brother got one). but i still liked the e90 more. but with the mk6... i think the 325i has lost. :(

i love bmw (i have 7 series, 5 series, x5) but the price and the fact that the new 3 series is comming in 2012. i suppose i will have to wait for the new 3 to come then compare again.

i hope the new 3 will have:
adjustable damping
turbo charging (for the lower end petrol (like audi and merc)

without these two main things, i think its hard for bmw to compete downrange.

i know the 335 etc is good enough up there but on the lower end, bmw used to be the king but now has been unpopular. e.g. how can a 320i compete with the audi's 1.8t or 2.0t? it just cant, even with rwd.

anyways just wanted to share with u guys and see you views.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
oh god no... you're actually getting the quad exhaust? have you not seen the quad exhaust thread?

other than that, good choice. i didn't know the mk6 was going to have adjustable dampening.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
MKVI has adjustable suspension in Euro markets.

slickvic

I scare other drivers
ah, that's pretty sweet. i wish we did have some of these types of features in the states. i would be willing to pay a little extra for some of them.

VWNA disagrees with you.

After my lease is up next spring I am buying a used BMW or a Subaru because I am tired of all the FWD wheelspin silliness. :mad:

I do not believe the XDS differential in the MK6 will function as well as a true differential however.

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
Go drive the 325i before you simply dismiss it because it's not turbocharged, that I6 is a marvel of engineering, even without the twin "tiny" chargers. :thumbsup:

Not saying that the 325 is "better" then the GTI, just saying make sure you give anything you're interested in a go before you decide, otherwise you could find yourself wishing you had down the road. :23:

TheDude0388

Spida Spida
Car(s)
Dubs
Go drive the 325i before you simply dismiss it because it's not turbocharged, that I6 is a marvel of engineering, even without the twin "tiny" chargers. :thumbsup:

Not saying that the 325 is "better" then the GTI, just saying make sure you give anything you're interested in a go before you decide, otherwise you could find yourself wishing you had down the road. :23:

new turbo I6 will only have one Turbo going fwrd.

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
haha

i read the exact same thread on e90post,
people on e90post say go for GTI,
people on golfmkv leaning toward bmw... (maybe)

i recommend 135!

Last edited:

jmejiaa

Go Kart Champion
i say take maintenance cost into account.

I had a 92 325i, parts were ridiculously expensive. I've been looking at some parts for 2009 out of curiosity and they are hell of a lot cheaper, even being a brand new car.

The I6 feels awesome and I still miss it when I hear my 4 cylinders, I also miss RWD but the gti is growing on me more and more.

KkSc

TS Auto Design
Car(s)
Audi B7 2.0T/ VW MkV
i will choose MKVI instead of 325i, if it's a 328i or 335i, definitely 328i or 335i, but 325i..um...MKVI is better!

v-dub89

Go Kart Champion
I say go for the MKVI.