GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk6 coolant pump replacement

mjojo

My coolant pump is leaking through and i wana fix the problem myself...
So any ideas on how to go about it? I've read a lot of articles but am still not getting anywhere with the info they provided. Anyone who has done this before on an mk6 gti please your helpnwill be highly appreciated

mraaf

Passed Driver's Ed
You need to take out intake manifold then you'll have access to the water pump.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
My local garage has just replaced mine but they didn't remove the intake manifold and did it from underneath on a lift!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
My local garage has just replaced mine but they didn't remove the intake manifold and did it from underneath on a lift!

When you are replacing it yourself, we don't have the privilege to have a vehicle lift. Intake manifold removal is not necessary but RECOMMENDED. It's just a few extra steps but you will gain so much more work room. Ever wonder why so many "replacement" water pumps go bad shortly after installation from the stealerships?
I will give you a hint:

Laziness + no cleaning of area around water pump = premature wear of new part

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
When you are replacing it yourself, we don't have the privilege to have a vehicle lift. Intake manifold removal is not necessary but RECOMMENDED. It's just a few extra steps but you will gain so much more work room. Ever wonder why so many "replacement" water pumps go bad shortly after installation from the stealerships?

I will give you a hint:

Laziness + no cleaning of area around water pump = premature wear of new part

He's a very experienced ex vw master tec and has fitted the pump correctly I assure you!!

MKVInnie

Passed Driver's Ed
I followed this DIY How To - Water pump replacement, the quick and easy way 2 months ago. Bought the whole new revised pump, the one with the housing. I did not take the manifold off, it was frustrating to maneuver the pump through that small space and onto the pegs but it will be done with patience and confidence.

The VW parts person told me to look for oil leaks from the PCV and upper timing chain cover as that messes up the rubber seals and causes premature failure. It has also been said that consecutive water pump failure comes from not vacuum filling the system to get all the air out. from this thread:

Straight out of VW Tech Tip 19-13-02

"Please note that when replacing the water pump or opening the cooling system, there is a special bleed procedure that has to be performed. Vacuum bleed the cooling system for 10 minutes. Start the engine and let idle until the thermostat opens and the cooling fan runs, before driving vehicle or raising engine RPM."

I got the vaccum filler from ecstuning and borrowed my friend's air compressor to do it.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
He's a very experienced ex vw master tec and has fitted the pump correctly I assure you!!

Just ask around. You will hear that a LOT of forum members have had theirs replaced by "certified VW technicians" (dealership) and the WP starts to leak a few thousand miles afterwards.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i'm the one that did the diy with removing the intake manifold. i did it without the vacuum tool and it has been fine. just let the car run for a while with the coolant cap off.

the reasons why it fails are just guesses, so you can't always go off of what the dealership says. just like dbestgti posted, all he's doing is reading a manual like the rest of the advisers and techs. imo it's just a bad design, that's why their is a new revision + recall on the old pumps. otherwise you're expecting oil to seep past the intake manifold and not damage that but it does damage the water pump seals? not likely.