GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The worst manual I ever drove was a Camaro with a three-on-the-tree manual. That car would make you run screaming away from a clutch pedal for sure. Next worse might have been a B4000 truck. Why I had a manual in that truck I have no idea. Seemed a good idea at the time. Oh, and two rental cars in Haiti. The first broke down in front of the headquarters of the Haitian army, such as it is. I spent an hour in the office of the chief of staff of the army, who was very nice and let me use his phone to call the rental company. The second car was more reliable, despite the (no joke) two or three bullet holes in it. Both cars--I can't recall the makes--had manuals that were, well, appropriate to the circumstances. Ugh.

OTOH, the Hurst five speed in my old Mustang was great, the two Acuras had amazing MTs, and even my old WRX had a nice set up to row.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I think we keep you busy all the time!

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I love manuals but they suck in heavy traffic. Clutching in and out 50 times to move 3 traffic lights gets old pretty quick. Once the traffic clears it’s all good :)
So for me it’s a love-hate relationship.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I love manuals but they suck in heavy traffic. Clutching in and out 50 times to move 3 traffic lights gets old pretty quick. Once the traffic clears it’s all good :)

Oh, yeah. At one point I was schlepping that Mustang five-speed three hours each way from Falls Church, VA, to Chesapeake Beach, MD, much of it in DC area stop-and-go traffic. No bueno.

My left leg I think ended up being bigger than my right though.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
This ^^, defo, though in the UK one can easily often move just 10 feet when the lights eventually change....

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
So someone said that the manual clutch can't handle even a Stage 1 upgrade(?) Why would the DSG be able to handle it, if the MT clutch cannot? The DSG does have a clutch, so is the theory there that the DSG clutch has a heavier spring?

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed
Because the question was asked:

I have driven a manual transmission equipped car since I began driving. The very first car I ever drove, and the one in which I learned to drive, was a late 60's Austin Mini Cooper that my father owned in the mid 80's. It was a right hand drive 4 speed car and as a 12 year old, driving it in the field next to my house was liberating and exhilarating. Fast forward to 16 years old, the freedom that comes with a drivers license is accompanied by the same excitement of rowing the gears. To this day, it's hard for me to describe the feeling I get when I drive a manual optioned car. It might sound silly or corny, but it's the truth. It is the ultimate freedom.

My wife was born and raised in the Philippines. For her, she has only ever driven manuals as that is what is primarily available there. The only automatic she has ever tolerated was in our E90 and when that was swapped for an Abarth, she hated the Fiat but loved the manual so much that she drove it quite often. When we decided to get this GTI, it was not even a consideration to get the DSG, despite how good they are.

It runs in my family essentially.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I chose a DSG because my daily driving consists of stop and go traffic in Toronto, which is notoriously bad. I do not like the idea of driving a manual in stop and go traffic. My family needs to be able to drive the car as well so it was a simple decision for me.

Ilibbs

Learned to drive on a manual. Living in VT with snowy, hilly winters, it just made sense.
First, second, third, fourth cars were all manual.

Now I live in FL with stop+go traffic and no snow. Just got my first DSG and I love it.

Part of it is the comfort, but I also love the idea that I'm driving around some great technology. It's fun to be able to pull back the shifter and go from a gas-sipping grocery-getter to an aggressive, fart-shifting rocket ship. Also M mode still gives me a feeling of control without the sloppy shifts (user error, I know) and the knee-wrecking non-stop clutch pressing. Finally, it's comforting knowing I can do somewhat aggressive tuning and not worry about the clutch as much.

End of the day, though, it's whatever gives you the most smiles per gallon. Test them both, or find someone who will let you rip theirs around.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
It's fun to be able to pull back the shifter and go from a gas-sipping grocery-getter to an aggressive, fart-shifting rocket ship.

That's sig material there!

Glad you're enjoying it.

Hammertime

Passed Driver's Ed
6 Spd vs DSG

Ive had a Mk6 with a 6 speed and a Mk7 with DSG. My preference is the DSG. Its faster, and very versatile . It also holds more power. If you tune your 6 speed, set aside money for a good clutch too.

skadee

Passed Driver's Ed
With less lag between shifts, I can certainly see how the DSG would also be less likely to see turbo stall. It sure feels like I'm experiencing the stall during quick acceleration with my MT, shifting as quickly as the gears will sync. A diverter valve will be one of those "after the warranty runs out" purchases.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
With less lag between shifts, I can certainly see how the DSG would also be less likely to see turbo stall. It sure feels like I'm experiencing the stall during quick acceleration with my MT, shifting as quickly as the gears will sync. A diverter valve will be one of those "after the warranty runs out" purchases.
Plus you don't get the farting sound the dsg generates when shifting at wide open throttle. I love making it do that

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk