GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking at a GTD - What comes as standard?

TheBigGM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum looking at buying 2014 Mk7 Golf GTD and wondering what features came as standard and what are optional extras?

Things I'm mainly interested in are:-

Xenons
DAB / Bluetooth
Heated Seats
Folding Mirrors

Any other options worth looking out for?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum looking at buying 2014 Mk7 Golf GTD and wondering what features came as standard and what are optional extras?

Xenons
DAB / Bluetooth
Heated Seats
Folding Mirrors

Thanks.

Xenons, DAB, Bluetooth, Folding mirrors are standard kit. Also get Adaptive Cruise and loads of nice little touches.
Keyless entry is nice, Sport and Sound pack is something I wished mine had.
DSG works well especially with the ACC.
I've no experience of the Dynamic chassis, but doubt it's worth it in a diesel hatchback.
Dynaudio was a must when I bought mine. Just a nicer sounding stereo. Sub is a bit naff though.
I'm sure heated seats aren't a necessity, but it's nice to have a warm bum in winter.
I also like the upgraded phone connection. It actually does boost the signal which is good in some parts of rural Lincs, where I live.

Probably a good used buy at the moment, with all the diesel shenanigans. It's not an effected car, but it's still a good card to bring to the table.

Let us know how you get on.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Coming from a keyless car previously, that's the only extra I would have had that I miss now.

Saying that DSG and leather were prerequisites for me.. couldn't dream of having a car now without ACC...

Leather seats come heated as standard , iirc leather option also includes the Winter pack..

southlegend

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, the Discover Navigation system is standard now. It's got WIFI connectivity which I hook up to my personal hotspot for realtime traffic updates.

Heated seats are also standard (part of the Winter Pack which is standard spec).

EDIT: Should've read your post properly. None of my post applies to a 2014 model.

Last edited:

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

Xenons
DAB / Bluetooth
Heated Seats
Folding Mirrors

Thanks.

From your comment "2014 GTD" I presume you are looking to pick up a 2nd hand car. To get the heated seats you need to find a car with the winter pack option fitted. Included in the winter pack are heated seats / low washer level alarm and heated washer jets. You get the low washer level alarm with or without the winter pack its standard with zenon h/l. The winter pack is easy to spot, the heated seat switches are above the air con temp control dials.
Only the very latest GTD's have winter pack as standard. Mine is 2014 GTD so I had to pick it as an option.

The other things you mention are all standard GTD spec. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and very cool LED Taillights are also standard on all GTD's

As others have mentioned keyless is good ( I have it on mine) and really all other options are what you like / can justify the expense of.

If I could order my GTD again I would have the rear view camera. It appears a bit of a gimmick but its actually really useful. My MK6 had one and sometimes I miss it. There was a period when the rear view camera wasn't available to order so it may be quite a rare option on an late 2013 / early 2014 car.

Last edited:

TheBigGM

Ah that's great guys thank you. Yes it will be a second hand car, looking for one with around 10k miles on the clock.

Some great features that are standard spec which I'm impressed at - for me the only extra I would like then is the winter pack. Could somebody post a picture of the controls that operate the heated seats so I know what to look out for?

Also tempted by DSG but never had an auto before - not sure if I'd miss manual to much.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Ah that's great guys thank you. Yes it will be a second hand car, looking for one with around 10k miles on the clock.

Some great features that are standard spec which I'm impressed at - for me the only extra I would like then is the winter pack. Could somebody post a picture of the controls that operate the heated seats so I know what to look out for?

Also tempted by DSG but never had an auto before - not sure if I'd miss manual to much.

The heated seat buttons are on the climate control panel...there is a line of buttons that control the airflow direction as recirc....the buttons are at either end...are push buttons and have three leds on them as they are 3 stage heated.

Car without will just have switch blanks....its pretty obvious when you see them

J400uk

Ready to race!
If you want that specific spec it might be easiest just to go for brand new, since Winter pack is now included! Look at a few brokers like carwow or drivethedeal and there won't be much in it price wise compared to used ;)

Hammo72

Passed Driver's Ed
Just bought a GTD 2015 3500 miles pretty much standard car, I had heated Leather in my previous car but so far not missed it the Cloth is not cold and the heater seems to heat up really quick. One thing to say is this car is absolutely superb I am still grinning everyrtime i drive it, quality is great and somehow everything works just how you want It too really impressed

Chris43

Go Kart Champion

The switch your looking for is directly to the left of the 20.0 temp figure. There's a separate switch for each side. A car without winter pack will have a blank in this position.

TheBigGM

The switch your looking for is directly to the left of the 20.0 temp figure. There's a separate switch for each side. A car without winter pack will have a blank in this position.
Cheers appreciate that, will know what to look out for now. That centre console looks great.

TheBigGM

If you want that specific spec it might be easiest just to go for brand new, since Winter pack is now included! Look at a few brokers like carwow or drivethedeal and there won't be much in it price wise compared to used ;)
I've just signed up to both of those sites and awaiting results. I can pick up a GTD with < 10k miles for around 20k.

I assume brand new is going to be 25k+?

Then there's deciding how to pay for it - personal loan for around 17k (family member so good interest rate) or PCP - not really sure what's best as I've never looked at PCP before.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Cheers appreciate that, will know what to look out for now. That centre console looks great.

The infotainment system in a 2014 car will look slightly different as it has the first version of the composition media system but the air con switches are the same.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Really Chris - doesn't look like a genuine MK7 head unit - never seen one with that button arrangement before and totally flat buttons at that (the VW ones are sculptured).