GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Locking steering wheel

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it normal for the steering wheel to lock when the car is braked to a standstill? I have not known this to happen on other cars I have owned.

Thanks

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Hmm not heard of that before. Does it still do it when auto stop start is disabled? And is ur car keyless

Last edited:

marvin1

Ready to race!
What do you mean by locked - genuinely locked in place as in removing ignition key or stiff to move? If engine cuts due to Start/Stop working then steering becomes very stiff as is no assistance but engine will start again if you move wheel against the resistance.

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I have just realised it only locks when the auto stop is enabled and I don't have keyless entry. Not sure why it would lock.

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
That sounds like the probable reason. Strange that the handbook doesn't warn about this though, at least not that I could find.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I'll check my car tomorrow and tell u if it does the same but I don't think mine does it but mines a 2013 so it could be a new feature

marvin1

Ready to race!
What do you mean by locked - genuinely locked in place as in removing ignition key or stiff to move? If engine cuts due to Start/Stop working then steering becomes very stiff as is no assistance but engine will start again if you move wheel against the resistance.

Bump!:confused:

marvin1

Ready to race!
Can anyone offer a good reason, sounds like a design fault to me ?
Well mine doesn't lock in sense that withdrawing the key ot and turning the wheel slightly until the pin engages. That is when the steering is locked, in my opinion anyway.
When my S/S functions, if i let it, and the engine cuts, then the steering becomes very heavy as though unassisted but is that what you're all talking about?

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally received a response from VW.
'Having consulted with our Technical Support Team, I can confirm if you are referring to the Start/Stop system, the power assisted steering does not operate when Start/Stop is in operation; manual steering is available.'
This means, presumably, the steering isn't locked, but minus the power assistance
it does feel very stiff. I must admit I haven't tried to steer when this happens.