GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED steering wheel with start/stop and drive mode buttons

Shy Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Autobahn
Does anyone make one of these LED steering wheels that use the start/stop button and the drive mode button for the Mk7? Does the canbus even support this on the wheel? I know the mk7.5 R does, but what about the standard Mk7?

1701299866692.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't know about the LED part. But you can get those buttons on AliExpress... from here or any other vendor. They aren't connected to the can bus. They are connected to your existing MFSW buttons for power and illumination. And wirelessly to a harness that taps into your existing start/stop button and drive mode button, simulating the press of the actual buttons when you press the new ones on the steering wheel.

Shy Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Autobahn
I don't know about the LED part. But you can get those buttons on AliExpress... from here or any other vendor. They aren't connected to the can bus. They are connected to your existing MFSW buttons for power and illumination. And wirelessly to a harness that taps into your existing start/stop button and drive mode button, simulating the press of the actual buttons when you press the new ones on the steering wheel.
Hmm. I need to look into those buttons. I’ve found the led wheel (very expensive) but those buttons should work with it then. I need to find a writeup how to install them.

Thanks!

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I want a LED wheel so bad, I already have a nice custom red tinted cf one, but I likes gadgets lol. BTW, my custom wheel came from ZenCarbon, and he has the LED option available for Mk7 and 7.5.

https://zencarbonfiber.com/collections/volkswagen

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I want a LED wheel so bad, I already have a nice custom red tinted cf one, but I likes gadgets lol. BTW, my custom wheel came from ZenCarbon, and he has the LED option available for Mk7 and 7.5.

https://zencarbonfiber.com/collections/volkswagen
I did Zen as well, and let's be honest -- they're likely all coming from the same Ali factory. With that said, I had a positive experience, and the end product was rad.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I did Zen as well, and let's be honest -- they're likely all coming from the same Ali factory. With that said, I had a positive experience, and the end product was rad. It'd definitely be interesting to see the start/stop wiring happen, keep us posted.
He hand crafts his wheels using OEM base wheels hubs. He gets his LED assembly from a supplier of course. I have pictures of him personally making my wheel, from the base hub, to the first layer of mold, to cf layers, then perforated leather, then finish. My wheel is also in his photo gallery on his website.

I just did my new wheel build with the LED lights and screen, switched up colors to match my Recaro's better. $800+ wheel but its gonna be sick. Thank god his site accepts installments lol. I may add the start/stop myself or have a chat with him about it.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
He hand crafts his wheels using OEM base wheels hubs. He gets his LED assembly from a supplier of course. I have pictures of him personally making my wheel, from the base hub, to the first layer of mold, to cf layers, then perforated leather, then finish. My wheel is also in his photo gallery on his website.

I just did my new wheel build with the LED lights and screen, switched up colors to match my Recaro's better. $800+ wheel but its gonna be sick. Thank god his site accepts installments lol. I may add the start/stop myself or have a chat with him about it.
Oh cool, yeah I just kind of assumed based on what I had heard from others. Either way, yeah I'm a fan of the product/result. I've actually reached out about possibly getting him to do a forged carbon skin on a parking brake handle to match, we'll see what comes of it.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I see his use a bluetooth OBD module? I thought it got its data via canbus?
Could be, I haven't talked to him in a while.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Have you seen any LED modules that get their data via can bus? In my estimation a Bluetooth OBD dongle is going to be the best way. You've gotta transmit the data to the module somehow. It's all available via the OBD port. The steering wheel module is on Comfort Can so I would not expect all the data we want is there. And there's no can communication into the steering wheel buttons (via the clockspring). There's just the MFSW buttons to the steering wheel module, which in turn sends out commands via Comfort Can.

Even if you tap the can bus directly somewhere you still need to send data to the LED module. A Bluetooth dongle is simple and effective.

Last edited: