GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K&N filters opinions

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Can’t find any real mention on K&N filters on a Golf R. I’d appreciate anyone’s comments. $350 doesn’t sound like a lot, but only if it works as advertised. Thanks in advance for any comments

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Wouldn't touch K&N, they let too much through. Much better alternatives out there.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Like what? Thanks

Yeah, I'd also like to know what other options are available other than similar drop in oil based high flow filters from less recognizable brands.

Even the complete airbox / CAI options use a similar filter. I've had a K&N air filter in every single one of my cars for the past 20 years and never had a problem. Just keep them properly clean and oiled and you'll be fine. Most people just drop them in and forget about or douse them with oil leading to sensor failure / CELs.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I ran them on various other cars. Personally I think they take more effort to maintain than just replacing with a quality paper filter. There are better options for better filtration over the long run, sure at the detriment of less airflow which really is marginal.

One of the vehicles I used a K&N on repeatedly showed higher levels of silica (sand) in the oil analysis I had done after each oil change. After about four oil changes, I swapped back to a dry filter and the silica levels dropped.

I don't just neglect my air filters, but that was enough for me to look at a different design.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Really prefer the AFE pro dry s filters. Quality is a bit better than the other dry filters on the market (especially now that AEM is just K&N without the youtube cred). If I wanted to allow more dirt into the motor to gain 2-3hp, I'd have kept the foam VWR filter.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Ran K&N on a couple cars with no meaningful improvement other than I did not have to buy filters when it was time to replace them. I'm pretty sure the cost of the K&Ns and filter oil was likely as much as the replacement filters would have been over all that time so it was a likely a wash. I would not spend $350 on one today.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I’m also curious because I heard that an entire intake replacement can cause check engine light problems, which I don’t need at all. Again, thanks for all the replies

It's been said many times on this forum, but the factory airbox works really well. It draws fresh cold air in from the grille and flows about as well as most aftermarket options. There really isn't a need to replace the system or filter. Most people just do it to get a little extra noise.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I’m also curious because I heard that an entire intake replacement can cause check engine light problems, which I don’t need at all. Again, thanks for all the replies
20k+ miles and no check engine lights on my racingline intake.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I run the K&N since I bought the car. 75k miles no issues to note.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
If you want more air, why not just remove the snow grate? I remove mine when I go to the track since tests have shown it increase air flow as there's less restrictions. It increases intake noise a little bit too.

Last edited: