GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue with nav on 2017 golf r?

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I am having the same issues.

Wow, how much more cost cutting has VW done on these 2017s? I only noticed the cosmetic stuff (no wheel locks, no felt in glove box, driver cubby, incandescent license bulbs)...

So the recent software update did nothing? Y'all think its a hardware issue, and they're replacing Delphi's with Delphi's and thats why they're failing?

I hate going to the dealership, and want to go as little as possible...:mad:

I traded my 2016 GTI for a 2017 Golf R (needed the AWD). My nav system died on my way home from the dealer (same "searching" problems others reported followed by a hard reboot). A VW factory/corporate technician tried doing the software update and that didn't fix it. I'm now waiting for a new unit as well. Definitely a frustrating experience compared to my completely problem free GTI.

Do you know which head unit they'll replace with? (Technisat or Delphi?)
I thought they did the software update because it wasn't a hardware issue.

Last edited:

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
Delphi replacement unit for NAV

I got my car back from the service dept...I asked what kind of unit is being used in my car (17 Alltrack SEL)...was told it's a Delphi...also, the 17 R owner I met two weeks ago was dropping his ride off...he said that he'd have to go thru the software update 1st before putting in a new unit (something about the Alltrack having a more extensive issue)...either way, the next phase(s) are underway...the litmus test is will the system work longer than the 48-72hrs it worked at delivery and at software update...fingers (the compass) crossed!!!

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I got my car back from the service dept...I asked what kind of unit is being used in my car (17 Alltrack SEL)...was told it's a Delphi...also, the 17 R owner I met two weeks ago was dropping his ride off...he said that he'd have to go thru the software update 1st before putting in a new unit (something about the Alltrack having a more extensive issue)...either way, the next phase(s) are underway...the litmus test is will the system work longer than the 48-72hrs it worked at delivery and at software update...fingers (the compass) crossed!!!

Why did they replace the head unit though if they stopped doing that due to that not fixing the issue?

Also just read through this thread more carefully and I have discovered one constant. My system also failed on a Sunday 2/26. So strange...

But I have 6K miles with no issues...

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
Why did they replace the head unit though if they stopped doing that due to that not fixing the issue?

Also just read through this thread more carefully and I have discovered one constant. My system also failed on a Sunday 2/26. So strange...

But I have 6K miles with no issues...

I was told that my car was the only one returned to that dealer with the issue of the software update being insufficient...given the state of affairs at VW right now, I don't know if we really ever get straight answers...what I do know is the software update failed, then the suggestions given from VW to correct the problem didn't work; and now as of today, I have a new Delphi unit in my glove box...don't know if the hardware change includes the radio too...I forgot to ask...but, I am a guardedly optimistic

All2Easy

New member checking in.

My '17 Golf R manufactured 12/16 has the nav issue as well. I pulled the SD card, so everything works except nav. Have yet to take it in to the dealer.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Don't understand why they're crapping out at random mileage. I went so long working fine, it sounds like a lot of you on here have had it go early on

McRooster

Don't understand why they're crapping out at random mileage. I went so long working fine, it sounds like a lot of you on here have had it go early on

Mine had 20 miles on it and was apparently dead from the beginning. The nav is probably the only thing I didn't check out during the test drives.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
No doubt Delphi undercut TechniSat for the 2017 business, and VW went with the cheaper bid. And apparently got what they paid for - a massive pile of malfunctioning steaming turds. I feel for you poor '17 owners. And I fear much more of this cost cutting coming in the next few years as the massive financial hit from dieselgate hits home.

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
48 hrs with car left in NAV before shutting down...no issues as of yet...it "thinks" longer sometimes before launching, but it has launched successfully each time...again, as I approach the 72hr mark and/or Sunday, I get more and more curious if the new head unit will be bug-free seeing as it has not worked passes 72 hours or through a Sunday

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, the new head unit is STILL working...what do you guys/gals think...is it time for a mass influx to the dealers and get in the que for new head units...or are you gonna wait to see how I or others fare w/our new head units?