GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Turbo Machining Oil Inlet/Outlet

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Looking to install an IS38 on my GTI (know this is the R forum), but ive read about the starvation issues on the is38's. I was wondering if it would be wise to have the turbo oil inlet journal opened up... they seem to have a shoulder half way down the journal, as well as opening the outlet journal to 14mm to help avoid starvation? Any downsides to this?

Thanks,
JC

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Great question although I wasn't aware of any widespread oil starvation issues on MK7 R's. I think this was more common with MK6's.

airjor13

Ready to race!
I think it’s cheaper if you have a core already and just send it out to GPOP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarl126

Ready to race!
I gave gpop shop a call yesterday and was informed they don't really do much is38 work any longer, being as they tried everything and couldn't really pinpoint the exact cause of issue on the is38s... They also said don't worry about opening the oil inlet, if the turbos are gonna go they're gonna go, if they don't then just drive it and enjoy it but be prepared Hahah. That being the case I might still have my local machine shop open the inlet and outlet as this could only be preventative and shouldn't harm anything

Aussie R

Ready to race!
From what I've read the biggest issue/cause of failures is that the turbo isn't balanced correctly. I'd just look at getting it balanced before install and should be fine.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Have you already bought the IS38? If you don't have it in-hand, I would suggest looking elsewhere for a turbo upgrade. VTT has shown some promising results for comparable cost.

The root cause of failures has not been determined, despite a number of shops looking into it. Some say oil starvation, some say poor balancing / shaft explosion, some say bearing failure.

If you already have it, just install it and cross your fingers. The stock IS38's are a lottery - some blow, some don't. Better to NOT crack it open for work and just hope the factory got it right.

B95zP

Ready to race!
I gave gpop shop a call yesterday and was informed they don't really do much is38 work any longer, being as they tried everything and couldn't really pinpoint the exact cause of issue on the is38s... They also said don't worry about opening the oil inlet, if the turbos are gonna go they're gonna go, if they don't then just drive it and enjoy it but be prepared Hahah. That being the case I might still have my local machine shop open the inlet and outlet as this could only be preventative and shouldn't harm anything

Bummer, it was nice to have a shop in the US who worked on them.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Anyone know who will balance this turbo before install? Don’t really want the lag of a 500 or 600 kit, or the vtt stuff that seems to only lite with e30 or higher as there is no ethanol available to me here.