GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Tune Input

dre1615

Ready to race!
So the IS38 bug got me a little sooner than I originally planned. I picked up a local second hand IS38 this weekend and it’s over at G-Pop Shop getting balanced and ceramic coated. I’m currently sitting at Unitronic Stage 2 with Uni IC, AWE DP, Autotech Intake, and RSE10’s/VWR springs. So the bases are more or less covered as it relates to bolt-ons. I have a BMS turbo inlet on the way, as well as RS7 plugs and the hardware install kit.
The thing I am having the most trouble with is the tune. I originally went Unitronic for all the same reasons we see here every day. More conservative tune/boost profile, daily driver friendly, at home tuning via Uniconnect, reliable etc. Reliability is still a priority, but the Uni IS-38 tune looks to be a little too underwhelming for me, relative to what some Stage 2 tunes are putting out.

-I can upgrade to the Unitronic Stage 2+ for $800. I’ve seen 352whp/344wtq from Modded Euros but no other dynos or real world experience on this tune. Uni advertises 381/377 at the crank.
-Eurodyne appears to be $700 for tune with OBD reflash tool. Based on what I have read I would have access to all the files at that price (stage 1, 2, IS38, etc.). Someone correct me if I am wrong here. Numbers for this tune appear to be on the higher end, 360ish whp/360-380wtq. Only thing that scares me is the complete lack of customer service.
-JB4 is $429 plus cost for the wireless kit. I have seen a ton of people using JB4 to stack with WMI, but not much info on guys just using JB4 as the standalone tune. Have not been able to find numbers either. I'm not interested at the moment in getting into meth, so I'm not sure if this is a good fit for me.
-APR – Forums have scared me away from APR. Heard their IS38 file is solid, just hard to tell with so much bad publicity on here.
-GIAC – Have seen a bunch of good things from VAG-TECH about GIAC. Have not seen anyone else using it to comment on reliability, performance, etc. Their tune is closer to $1k I believe.
-UM – No local support, not an option.

Wanted to see if the IS38 guys could chime in and let me know what your experiences have been with your tunes, pros/cons, etc. I do understand that it is not just about peak numbers. Most of the dyno plots are very similar in power/torque delivery, just want to make sure I’m getting a good value given the price.

Thanks in advance.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Subscribed. Assuming USPS ever intends to deliver my IS38 from Germany, I have the same decision to make.

I haven't ruled out APR. I'm pretty much down to APR or GIAC as far as the canned tunes go. APR because I have a local mod-friendly VW dealer who is also an APR dealer (not that you really can hope for a new engine with an IS38 bolted on, but...). GIAC because of their reputation and because I haven't read a bad thing said about their new IS38 tune.

And I didn't see you mention Cobb AP with a pro-tune. That might be the best option of all.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Subscribed. Assuming USPS ever intends to deliver my IS38 from Germany, I have the same decision to make.

I haven't ruled out APR. I'm pretty much down to APR or GIAC as far as the canned tunes go. APR because I have a local mod-friendly VW dealer who is also an APR dealer (not that you really can hope for a new engine with an IS38 bolted on, but...). GIAC because of their reputation and because I haven't read a bad thing said about their new IS38 tune.

And I didn't see you mention Cobb AP with a pro-tune. That might be the best option of all.
This. OP you missed listing one of the best options for a GTI. With a Cobb AP, a pro-tuner can tune your car to your exact specifications and mods. Not only that, but a pro tuner can make you several different maps for different situations. For example, right now I have a 91 octane tune that I use for my daily drive and I also have an E30 map that I can switch over to in 30 seconds if I want more power. You should definitely consider a Cobb AP.

dre1615

Ready to race!
This. OP you missed listing one of the best options for a GTI. With a Cobb AP, a pro-tuner can tune your car to your exact specifications and mods. Not only that, but a pro tuner can make you several different maps for different situations. For example, right now I have a 91 octane tune that I use for my daily drive and I also have an E30 map that I can switch over to in 30 seconds if I want more power. You should definitely consider a Cobb AP.

You're right, I did forget that option. The only Cobb tuners I know of in Chicagoland tune mostly Subarus. I don't know of anyone pro-tuning GTI's, and not sure I want to be a guinea pig. Also, given the cost around here for a dyno tune, it would likely be cost prohibitive even with resale of the AP.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
They can tune via email and Cobb datalogs. That's what I did with my Focus ST via FSWerk's tuner Randy, who later became Mountune USA's tuner. He did a great job.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
You're right, I did forget that option. The only Cobb tuners I know of in Chicagoland tune mostly Subarus. I don't know of anyone pro-tuning GTI's, and not sure I want to be a guinea pig. Also, given the cost around here for a dyno tune, it would likely be cost prohibitive even with resale of the AP.
You don't have to go to a local pro tuner with a dyno. You can do an e tune where the tuner sends you a base file. Then you run a log and send it back to him. He adjusts your tune and sends you a revised map. This is done several times until your tune is locked in. There are already several tuners that are tuning GTI's and I'm pretty sure I saw that one of them is already offering the option for a bigger turbo. I just don't remember which one. lol In any case, it's an option to keep in mind.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
APR recently put out their v1.2 file and the changes are nice. Paired with their latest TCU tune it is a whole different animal to drive. I would definitely not rule out APR, especially since your options are limited.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Check it out. Freektune already has the option for a bigger turbo and an option for E85 and meth.

https://www.freektune.com/collections/volkswagon-gti/products/vw-mk6-e-tune

I know that the link says MK6 but it takes you to a page that gives you the option for MK6 or MK7. Also, it says sold out right now because they are probably all booked up doing tunes right at the moment. Once they are freed up, it will be available again. But the point is, tuners are already offering tunes for IS38's.

Also, Jon Drenas at 5150 Racing, who I am currently working with on my tune, owns a Golf R so he is familiar with how the IS38 operates. I'm sure that he could probably work something up for you.

billyarison

Ready to race!
I'm running eurodyne on my is38 setup. The adjustable file and mastreo are rumored to be out in the next few day-week.
I have seen best on just normal flashed map for 93oct is38 380whp.
Sure it will increase with some fine tuning in the next week.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Maybe a dumb question, but does the IS38 require as much boost to put out more power? I.e. is going IS38 with a goal of 350WHP a more reliable option then say pushing an IS20 to its max? (yes I realize it will pry never get to 350HP by itself). I'm just wondering if the IS38 would be more reliable with the additional power...

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe a dumb question, but does the IS38 require as much boost to put out more power? I.e. is going IS38 with a goal of 350WHP a more reliable option then say pushing an IS20 to its max? (yes I realize it will pry never get to 350HP by itself). I'm just wondering if the IS38 would be more reliable with the additional power...

An IS38 will be more reliable to achieve the same power. The IS38 is a larger turbo so it supplies a larger volume of air so it works less than an IS20 to put out the same amount of air. PSI is not everything when it comes to turbo's.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
An IS38 will be more reliable to achieve the same power. The IS38 is a larger turbo so it supplies a larger volume of air so it works less than an IS20 to put out the same amount of air. PSI is not everything when it comes to turbo's.
Not only that but the IS38's powerband extends further out than the IS20. Where the IS20 starts losing steam later in the RPM range, the IS38 is still going strong. You might lose a little bit on the bottom end but you gain much more on the top end.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I'm in the same boat. My G-pop balanced is38 is on its way back to me and should be arriving Monday. I'm currently APR tuned but there are so many tempting choices out there now with ED adjustable file and maestro around the corner and then Cobb. I'd probably would have just stuck with APR but they don't even have basic map switching available.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
If your not going to stay with Unitronic, then I would go Cobb.
I came from Cobb cars before my mk7. Protune-map switching-datalogging is why I liked Cobb.
I choose Eurodyne because of some people complaining of knock issues with MAP ots tunes and I wasnt hardware ready yet for a protune. But Cobb tuners are coming out of the wood work for this platform. Its a SOLID choice.

But with Unitronic 381 bhp is still pretty dam good. Specially 3000lb fwd car.
poor mans Porsche right there lol

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
FWIW Eurodyne is a strong tune. Don't let the customer service thing scare you. Sometimes they take a little while to answer regular emails, but for things like a flash issue, they seem to answer pretty quickly.

The adjustable files are out for the 15's with the 16's being released this week. Plus Maestro isn't too far off. Definitely worth considering ED at least.