GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the GTI Sporty Enough for me?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Both of you guys are being dramatic. The 370z feels like an Altima? Lol. It's an apples to oranges comparison but the 370z is sportier than the gti and faster. There's nothing wrong with suggesting the Z if he's prioritizing sport.

Orly? You got some facts to back that up brah? :eek:

Edit: just having fun. The 370Z is a giant turd and everyone knows it, the 350Z was where it was at.

Last edited:

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
In my opinion, it’s fast and fun enough for when I want a quick blast but it’s also a great all rounder. Looking at reviews online that’s what I found as well, others in the class such as Focus ST, Civic type R etc were faster and more ‘hardcore’ shall we say and the GTi fell best into the all rounder catergory.

So I guess it depends what you want, if you want something that’s purely sports and fast fun all the time then I guess I’d look at something else but for an all rounder with sports capabilities the GTi seems to tick the boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostDutchman

What will cost be?
Word is much more than old version.

That’s funny. A fully-optioned 1998 Supra retailed for around $45,000. Taking only inflation into account, that’s over $67,000 in today’s money for the same car. When you add all the mandatory safety/emission tech, plus all the other stuff we demand (backup cameras, lane departure, nav, Bluetooth, ultra performance with decent mpg, etc.) the price of a new Supra sold in 2018 would be around that of a GTR. And why shouldn’t it be? That’s it’s competition.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
The GTi is sporty in ways you don't even realize compared to others in the segment and even a segment or two above.

If your definition of "sporty" is an all out sports car that does little else, then no the GTi isn't "sporty" enough.

But beyond it being an all around great DD, take it out on some twisty roads and just blast through them or sling shot through traffic or just try an wipe the smile off your face every time you get on it and feel how rock solid poised the platform is. Add some mods and you can keep up with most things on the road and be stealth all the while doing it and have shit eating grin every time.

tknj99

Ready to race!
The GTi is sporty in ways you don't even realize compared to others in the segment and even a segment or two above.

If your definition of "sporty" is an all out sports car that does little else, then no the GTi isn't "sporty" enough.

But beyond it being an all around great DD, take it out on some twisty roads and just blast through them or sling shot through traffic or just try an wipe the smile off your face every time you get on it and feel how rock solid poised the platform is. Add some mods and you can keep up with most things on the road and be stealth all the while doing it and have shit eating grin every time.

+1.. also, for me the GTI was a no-brainer as any other option was a 2-seater or a 4-seater boy-racer mobile and either of those options most certainly don't work when the minivan is in the shop and you have a family appointment to tend to with the kids lol

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Both of you guys are being dramatic. The 370z feels like an Altima? Lol. It's an apples to oranges comparison but the 370z is sportier than the gti and faster. There's nothing wrong with suggesting the Z if he's prioritizing sport.

Unless your definition of "sport" involves track days, in which case the 370Z's brakes will fail completely after only a few hot laps, because Nissan's engineers decided that making the car more aerodynamic (for fuel economy purposes) was more important than allowing enough airflow over the brakes to cool them adequately. (Car & Driver reported on this some years ago, but I can't be bothered to look up the article.)

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

What is your definition of "sporty"? Sure, it looks like a sports car, has 2 seats, RWD, nice wheels....but its 200lbs heavier than a 4dr GTI and a simple stage 1 GTI puts down equal or more power to the wheels. When I think sports car, I think nimble, good handling, decent power. The Z was some of these 10 years ago but the fact that a GTI handles better and can easily have a higher hp to weight ratio with a simple tune disqualifies the Z in my book.

That engine is so ancient, reminds me of an old chevy lumina I drove around for a year lol not saying the GTI is a sports car but neither is the Z. Oh...and its NA so have fun modding. I was so set on that car and boy, what a disappointment.

That’s funny. A fully-optioned 1998 Supra retailed for around $45,000. Taking only inflation into account, that’s over $67,000 in today’s money for the same car. When you add all the mandatory safety/emission tech, plus all the other stuff we demand (backup cameras, lane departure, nav, Bluetooth, ultra performance with decent mpg, etc.) the price of a new Supra sold in 2018 would be around that of a GTR. And why shouldn’t it be? That’s it’s competition.

Well.....in that case, I'll be getting confortable in my GTI lol thats out of my range. I still think they'll offer a smaller turboed engine in the high $30K to low $40K range, with a turbo inline 6 as the big daddy model at $60K. It doesn't make sense much higher than that given the BMW platform they're going with. We'll see...

Unless your definition of "sport" involves track days, in which case the 370Z's brakes will fail completely after only a few hot laps, because Nissan's engineers decided that making the car more aerodynamic (for fuel economy purposes) was more important than allowing enough airflow over the brakes to cool them adequately. (Car & Driver reported on this some years ago, but I can't be bothered to look up the article.)

Don't forget those high oil temps too :D alright, enough trashing the Z from me, is pretty good for a 10 year old car but not a new GTI prices.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

If they go the road of the concept it will be more than a sports car.
More like trickle down LFA stuff.
In line with Lexus LC500.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
if I didn't need the space I might consider the current gen Miata Club.

GTI price range, lsd, double wishbone, rwd awesome tire to weight, decent power to weight.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Thought about 235i or 240i with 6MT?
Or a 128i?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
If they go the road of the concept it will be more than a sports car.
More like trickle down LFA stuff.
In line with Lexus LC500.

The spy shots of the actual car show that it is much more tame than that concept. It looks promising but has similar dimensions to the BMW Z. I remember seeing some leaked parts sheet that had had next gen Z and supra engine numbers. I think there was a turbo 4 and turbo 6 for the supra but only the bimmer got a manual trans option :confused: that would suck.

Not alot has come out about it so I don't wanna assume too much. If its just a Z in a toyota shell, like the brz they did with subaru, it'll be a massive letdown. If its priced like an lc500, it'll flop unless its putting up GTR numbers from the factory....but how big is the market for a $100K toyota badged car?

Just feel it makes more sense pricing a base model at the low $40K mark max as it'll give people with that budget something other than a muscle car or high power hot hatch to consider. Then the bigger engine can compete in the $60K+ range if it can push at least 400hp.

if I didn't need the space I might consider the current gen Miata Club.

GTI price range, lsd, double wishbone, rwd awesome tire to weight, decent power to weight.

Honestly, I considered the miata club too, its really nice. I don't need the space of a 2dr GTI let alone a 4dr. Still, its just too underpowered. Handling is fun but there are times even on the street where a little straight line speed is nice. That thing could get smoked by some soccer mom in her SUV. I know its not the point but it still hurts...

IMO there's a real void in the $30-40K range for someone who wants a nice handling 300hp sports car and isn't into muscle cars. If either nissan or toyota can come up with a nice 2dr turbo car with 300hp+ in that range, it would be real nice.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
IMO there's a real void in the $30-40K range for someone who wants a nice handling 300hp sports car and isn't into muscle cars.

I completely agree with this.

Something light, RWD, making good power, and not the size of a Miata would be nice.

I also looked at the current Miata club, just way too small and underpowered.

The only car I really cross shopped was the WRX, and I have a strong dislike for Subarus.