GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Introducing: The AWE Tuning Mk7 GTI Exhaust Suite

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Looking to get the track edition with stock dp setup with APR stage 1. My commute is about 80 miles daily and just want to make sure this exhaust doesn't drone during highway speed. Any feedback would help greatly. thanks

ReflexGTI1

Ready to race!
I have had the track version for 2 years now and am quite happy with it. It is damn near flawless and the perfect sound I was looking for. I spent a couple months researching exhausts and watching all the videos around and the AWE was overall the one that excited me the most. Great price point, excellent construction and fitment. I still giggle like a little school girl when I get to romp on it.

I feel the same way.. definitely a head turner no matter where I'm at.

https://youtu.be/DBqTglWEQl0

https://youtu.be/mfJEFSloa-Q

Josh/AWE

Unlocking Performance
AWE vs DIY.

Mk7 GTI Touring and Track Edition Exhaust in-stock at HQ and through your favorite AWE dealer.

Get yours direct or through an AWE Tuning dealer right this way.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Supporting a local business!

Hey Josh,

Just wanted to say thanks to AWE for making a quality exhaust!

Install is a couple weeks away. I'll be sure to update everyone on the sound quality of the exhaust once it's installed :cool:

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Thanks for the kind words! How are you liking it thus far?!
Still not installed :p

Install is less than a week away though. I can't wait to hear how it sounds :cool:

I went with the track exhaust since I'll be keeping the OEM downpipe in place for the time being.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Ok, have had my AWE track exhaust on for just a few days and wanted to share some thoughts for those interested:

1) Quality: Seems to be top notch. I didn't do the install myself but my mechanic said it was easy, fitment was spot on, and it looks to be made from good quality stainless so rust should not be an issue in the future.

2) Looks: I opted for the dual chrome tips and really love the look. They stick out without being over the top. Very classy imo and they fill the exhaust hole cutouts perfectly. I also LOVE the look of the pipes vs suitcase muffler in the back.

3) Sound:

So here is where I was a bit surprised. Considering this system deletes the resonator and only leaves a muffler, I expected it to be considerably louder than stock. When I picked it up, I was a bit disappointing that it sounded as quiet as stock at idle/while revving it up to ~3500rpm (from the outside). Tone was a little deeper but not louder.

I gave it the beans leaving the shop and instantly got a call from my mechanic saying it sounded great taking off. I also noticed the difference in sound inside the cabin even from startup. It was considerably louder >2000rpm inside the car. At WOT, it sounds awesome. No drone, just a nice deep sound which I've been really enjoying. The soundaktor is OFF so before/after comparisons in the cabin are just natural noise.

For those considering the Touring exhaust, don't do it imo. I feel like any quieter and its not even worth changing the exhaust. I really like the sound now but do wish it was a bit louder on the outside/at idle. I am considering AWE's catted DP in the future so I bet the full turboback system will sound savage.

Overall, it is very tame for an exhaust with no resonator. Would recommend but don't expect a head turning system that screams aftermarket exhaust. As many have said, it sounds the way the GTI should have come from the factory.

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
With a stock downpipe the track edition seems to be the best sounding.

But if you get a downpipe, I guarantee that you will be looking for the Touring conversion kit. Because track exhaust with downpipe is very loud! They don't have the disclaimer on the track edition for nothing :D :eek:

OEM downpipe with track exhaust:

AWE downpipe with track exhaust:

Edit to add...
Here's the Touring exhaust with AWE downpipe:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
For those considering the Touring exhaust, don't do it imo. I feel like any quieter and its not even worth changing the exhaust.*

*IF YOU PLAN TO STAY WITH THE STOCK DOWNPIPE

With a stock downpipe the track edition seems to be the best sounding.

But if you get a downpipe, I guarantee that you will be looking for the Touring conversion kit. Because track exhaust with downpipe is very loud! They don't have the disclaimer on the track edition for nothing :D :eek: **

**DING. DING. DING. WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :D

AWE Track was a tale of two exhausts for me. It was absolutely wonderful with the stock downpipe. It was mother f***ing loud with the AWE DP. Not ricey - just mother f***ing loud. It was fine at steady-state highway cruising 55-75 mph, but vary the throttle or do any accelerating and it's mother f***ing loud. You will hear and feel it, all day, every day. Now don't get me wrong. Are there times when you'd like to spray the MF'er behind you with loud? Yes. But not all day, every day.

So the moral here: Ask yourself, "am I ever going to modify this car to a point where a downpipe is in the plans?" If the answer to that is "yes," then the Touring is the way to go. Trust me.

Josh/AWE

Unlocking Performance
Hey, Greek.

Glad you're pleased!

Yes, even the Track Edition is not over bearing by any means. It's very suitable for the factory downpipe. We wanted to make sure that it didn't drone (even for the Track variant). There's more presence in the cabin with the Track going through gears since the Mk7 insolation + the stock exhausts don't let you know it's there. The Touring Edition is more fit for an aftermarket downpipe.

Track with catted downpipe sounds great from the outside - but you'll be on the inside. You may or may not end up considering a conversion kit.

Anywho, glad you got it installed, it was painless for your mech, and the chrome looks great against the TR. If you ever need me, email me or hit me here :)

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Track with catted downpipe sounds great from the outside - but you'll be on the inside. You may or may not end up considering a conversion kit.

Key passage for emphasis.

AWE has never been evasive about their product. They tell you what to expect.

Expect it! :p