GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intakes and Airbox

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
My issue with the stock intake was clearance of the turbo discharge pipe. When I installed the neuseped discharge pipe the box would hit the pipe/hose. I went with the enclosed injen and absolutely love it. But dyno seems faster but I have no equal playing field. Other mods were installed at the same time. From my understanding replacing the turbo inlet 90 and the flex hose will provide better results than an intake.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Truly just because APR told me to for stage 2 along with my local mechanic. On top of that, seeing so many aftermarket intakes manufacturerers boasting 10+ hp gains if tuned. If it's not necessary, I'm more than happy to stick with the stock intake and not spend $! It isn't that I'm adamant, more that I thought it was a necessity. Jovian, what would you do? I always appreciate others' opinions. Aside from drop in filter and snowboard removal, would you still install new inlet tube and turbo muff delete?

Unless you are throwing a turbo on bigger than the IS38 than the stock air box is totally fine.

I have a K&N filter(any high performance filter will be good) and the snow guard removed. Here is the info: https://www.carworklog.com/2017/01/06/guide-mk7-gti-ea888-gen3-intake-snow-guard-removal/

The turbo inlet pipe I think it more likely to help than an intake. The muffler delete is more just for sound, not much performance.

I don't have any of them done currently but am considering the inlet pipe.

Darwinism

Passed Driver's Ed
My issue with the stock intake was clearance of the turbo discharge pipe. When I installed the neuseped discharge pipe the box would hit the pipe/hose. I went with the enclosed injen and absolutely love it. But dyno seems faster but I have no equal playing field. Other mods were installed at the same time. From my understanding replacing the turbo inlet 90 and the flex hose will provide better results than an intake.

Good to know, I was close to ordering neuspeed hi-flo discharge kit. So it won't fit with stock intake? Does a larger discharge pipe help with performance or just noise? Everyone talks about the inlet pipe and little about discharge.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
When doing an air intake mod, do you have to reprogram the computer to adjust for the increased airflow?

That "snow guard" looks really restrictive.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Sure looks like from this video that it also draws in air from the engine compartment.

The cutout on the left of the scoop is to allow fresh air to circulate in and around the vehicles oil cooler (it's behind the oil filter). Due to the design of the inlet, the air intake won't draw any air from the engine compartment while the vehicle is moving.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Since it's called a snow guard, should I not remove mine since I live where it snows? Any real risk?

sig

Darwinism

Passed Driver's Ed
Unless you are throwing a turbo on bigger than the IS38 than the stock air box is totally fine.

I have a K&N filter(any high performance filter will be good) and the snow guard removed. Here is the info: https://www.carworklog.com/2017/01/06/guide-mk7-gti-ea888-gen3-intake-snow-guard-removal/

The turbo inlet pipe I think it more likely to help than an intake. The muffler delete is more just for sound, not much performance.

I don't have any of them done currently but am considering the inlet pipe.

Good stuff. I'll do the same. CTS inlet tube and K&N filter sound like a good upgrade pair for intake.

smoriarty

Passed Driver's Ed
I received my Racingline drop in filter yesterday. I still have the stock air box and am totally happy with my $80 purchase. Throttle response is improved and there is slightly more torque and pepiness in the midrange. Well worth it. Still have the snowgaurd in but I may remove it soon.

My honest opinion is if you have the money, then get an aftermarket closed intake system like Unitronic or APR. If you want better throttle response and better airflow which is what I was looking for, then get the VWR drop in.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Good stuff. I'll do the same. CTS inlet tube and K&N filter sound like a good upgrade pair for intake.

I have the Autotech intake and K&N drop in filter (got both for like $150 on sale through Autotech when they have sales) with snow guard removed. Flowed more than enough for me to put down 324HP 391lbs/tq to the wheels (with some other mods of course).

Basically what I am saying is, ya you don't need a $500 intake.

here's the link:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28004