GOLFMKV

Intake Idea

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Wow thats ridiculously expensive lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
So I guess l'll chime in, I did the mod to my front air duct where I Dremeled out the side in front of the stock air boxes scoop and it does make a difference. I left the other side alone because air like water takes the path of least resistance. I also have removed the snow guard in the intake and switched from a stock filter to k&n panel filter. From all the research I've done this should net very similar gains to some of the more expensive closed air intakes. I don't worry about water because of how the stock air box is set up the snorkel directs air to the bottom of the box where there is already a drain. Lastly, Unitronic put out a technical article explaining why the stock air ducting is restrictive and should be opened up to alleviate stress on the turbo. https://www.getunitronic.com/news/tech/unitronic-tech-article-turbocharger-air-duct

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Looking online... I see pricing anywhere from $930 to $1090 for the full system. I can't tell if any of them are available though. It pays to look and feel good i guess! IMO this is the best looking intake that I have seen. A little rich for my blood.

Yeah that pricing is for the full carbon fiber system if you get their basic intake is a bit over 600 but we all want CARBONNZZZZ

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can never understand why someone does anything to the intake on less than a stage 3 car. Oh, I forgot, because racecar, LOL.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I can never understand why someone does anything to the intake on less than a stage 3 car. Oh, I forgot, because racecar, LOL.

The stock setup is meant to prevent ice and snow buildup. At faster speeds it draws more cold air, but at low speeds or in traffic it gets more engine heated air.

Stock car runs better on warm days in town, in traffic with with a modified intake that gets air as close ambient as possible. Does it make more power? Maybe, maybe not. But it does run better on hot days. That annoying off the line flat spot is reduced on hot days.

To me, that alone is worth it.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I have always been intrigued by these mods to the stock airbox going back to early 2015 when I first got my car. There have been several discussions on the forums over the years. My interest has recently been renewed after reading the Unitronic article that was mentioned:
https://www.getunitronic.com/news/tech/unitronic-tech-article-turbocharger-air-duct

I long ago removed the snow guard and upgraded to a K&N panel filter, but I have held off on the dremel modding due to concerns about water getting into the intake. Just recently I went on a long trip and had to drive through a torrential rainstorm that lasted for hours. On the 6 hour round trip, it rained 85% of the time, and at least 4 times it rained so hard that I had to pull over or slow down to a crawl. After all this, the stock airbox was bone dry. I would have been very nervous to have any open holes where water could get into the intake.

For those that have done the dremel mod, how much rain have you driven through since? Have you ever seen water in your airbox? If yes, how much? I would be interested if I could create a neat little duct that I could open and close whenever I wanted. Just not yet sure how I would go about doing this and not have it end up being a hack job. It would have to be strong enough so the cover would seal nicely and wouldn't leak or blow off.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

Going from a drop in on my IS38 to the full APR with the cts inlet made a noticeable difference. Feels more responsive at lower range and I can pretty much run any open intake for noise since I have water meth for lower IAT's, but I love the spool sound as is.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
For those that have done the dremel mod, how much rain have you driven through since? Have you ever seen water in your airbox? If yes, how much? I would be interested if I could create a neat little duct that I could open and close whenever I wanted. Just not yet sure how I would go about doing this and not have it end up being a hack job. It would have to be strong enough so the cover would seal nicely and wouldn't leak or blow off.

I've had the driver's side of the air channel Dremeled out for probably about 2 months now and April was crazy with the rain to the point where some of the streets flood around here (New Hampshire) and I've never had any problem with rain in the stock intake box. The only thing I'm doing is checking periodically to make sure that drain at the bottom of the airbox is clear of debris but I honestly haven't seen anything in there yet. :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Literally any intake will heat soak in traffic.

Cutting up your stock airbox is pointless (and hacked)

Drop in a better filter aka a dry one (oiled filter+turbo car= dirty old sucked off the filter into the turbo)

Or buy an intake.

Or leave it alone...literally sound and 10hp or less lays in the balance here on a tuned car.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
I've had the driver's side of the air channel Dremeled out for probably about 2 months now and April was crazy with the rain to the point where some of the streets flood around here (New Hampshire) and I've never had any problem with rain in the stock intake box. The only thing I'm doing is checking periodically to make sure that drain at the bottom of the airbox is clear of debris but I honestly haven't seen anything in there yet. :)
Why would opening the driver's side make any difference for water getting in? All air and water still has to enter from the slits on the passenger side.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
It doesn't make a difference... if you looked at my comment I quoted toledospeed and was assuring him that I haven't seen a problem with Dremeling out the driver's side on my ride. Air still does come in on the driver's side under the edge hood though its not all from the passenger's side after the mod. You can hear it just by listening to that side of the grill once its open, especially after a cold start while the SAI kicks in.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
It doesn't make a difference... if you looked at my comment I quoted toledospeed and was assuring him that I haven't seen a problem with Dremeling out the driver's side on my ride. Air still does come in on the driver's side under the edge hood though its not all from the passenger's side after the mod. You can hear it just by listening to that side of the grill once its open, especially after a cold start while the SAI kicks in.
No, air doesn't come in from the driver's side of the grill. It ONLY enters from the passenger side through the slits.

I understand that opening up the driver's side allows air to enter the intake there and that it reduces restriction but the only air feeding that location comes from the passenger side of the grill.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for the reply!

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
No, air doesn't come in from the driver's side of the grill. It ONLY enters from the passenger side through the slits.

I understand that opening up the driver's side allows air to enter the intake there and that it reduces restriction but the only air feeding that location comes from the passenger side of the grill.

No offense, but I'd love to see how you explain how the APR cold air intake works then since it removes the air channel entirely and bolts directly to the top of the grill on the side without the slits, miraculously it still gets air... weird. The hood does not seal air tight to the top of the grill so the intakes that remove the channel still pull air over the top of the grill in the gap between the grill and the hood. I understand it's not a huge gap but it's enough to pull air into. Likewise Dremeling out the air channel has the same effect. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
No offense, but I'd love to see how you explain how the APR cold air intake works then since it removes the air channel entirely and bolts directly to the top of the grill on the side without the slits, miraculously it still gets air... weird. The hood does not seal air tight to the top of the grill so the intakes that remove the channel still pull air over the top of the grill in the gap between the grill and the hood. I understand it's not a huge gap but it's enough to pull air into. Likewise Dremeling out the air channel has the same effect. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Maybe read what I wrote again. You missed it.

Using the APR intake as your benchmark doesn't help your case any.