GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Improvement to the 2x4 method of installing lowering spring.

axl911

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I did the 2x4 method of removing and re-installing the strut for my lowering springs this weekend. It worked pretty well. I only have to remove the pinch bolt and the top 3 bolts. Didn't touch the LCA or the axle bolts.

Anyway, the 2x4 worked pretty well, but it was unstable on the driver side. My modification is to drill a hole in the 2x4 and bolt it to the sway bar mounting hole in the strut. I used the pinch bolt&nut to do this. It worked really well in preventing the 2x4 from slipping off!

See attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_9561.JPG
    IMG_9561.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 13,044

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Now, that's thinking out of the box!!!!! Genius !!! I've done the 2x4 method in another car and it works great but in the back of your head you have that what if lol. This takes care if that, I'm trying this with my instal, whenever that is. Great work

herbie

Ready to race!
I dont get it what is this????

When removing the front struts, It is a method of removing it by pushing it with a piece of wood without requiring the removal of axle bolt/s. Axles don't extend long enough to allow the lower portion of the struts to be completely free the part the holds it. (I don't know what it is called, steering knuckle?)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Good idea.

The downside/tricky part of using the 2x4 method on the driver's side is that the strut does want to rotate, but this should take care of that

two thumbs up

axl911

Passed Driver's Ed
Good advice, I plan on doing my install within the next week or two. Can I ask what length 2x4 you used?

I think around 24 inches. With the wheels off, just make sure the 2x4 sticks several inches below the lower control arm when it is bumped up against the upper part of the strut.

This is how I made the hole. Put the 2x4 up against the upper strut face where it will be pushing the strut up. Snuggle it against the sway bar mounting tab. Use a pencil to mark the location of the hole where you will bolt the 2x4 to the sway bar tab.

Then just drill a hole using 1/2 inch drill. And bolt it up using the spindle bolt & nut.

The 2x4 method works really well because when removing, the jack help push the strut out of the wheel spindle. In the install, jack up the strut with the 2x4 attached. Line up the spindle. Lower the jack slowly. The force of the strut will push the strut into the spindle.

This method also saves you time and money since you won't have to replace the axle bolt/nuts. I spent 3 days chasing dealers for the associated bolt & nuts needed for the suspension work. Dealer part inventory sucks here in Dallas.

theophilus

Passed Driver's Ed
great, thanks for these tips. I'll be attempting my install once my 21mm offset wrench gets in!

I think around 24 inches. With the wheels off, just make sure the 2x4 sticks several inches below the lower control arm when it is bumped up against the upper part of the strut.

This is how I made the hole. Put the 2x4 up against the upper strut face where it will be pushing the strut up. Snuggle it against the sway bar mounting tab. Use a pencil to mark the location of the hole where you will bolt the 2x4 to the sway bar tab.

Then just drill a hole using 1/2 inch drill. And bolt it up using the spindle bolt & nut.

The 2x4 method works really well because when removing, the jack help push the strut out of the wheel spindle. In the install, jack up the strut with the 2x4 attached. Line up the spindle. Lower the jack slowly. The force of the strut will push the strut into the spindle.

This method also saves you time and money since you won't have to replace the axle bolt/nuts. I spent 3 days chasing dealers for the associated bolt & nuts needed for the suspension work. Dealer part inventory sucks here in Dallas.

Aknedude

Passed Driver's Ed
Does it just popup from the spindle nice and slow when you push the jack up??? i have done a lot of lowering on different cars, this looks so awsome. i will try it tommorow on my brand new Golf GTE.