GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Impressed by the 2017 Honda Si 2 door

Tico63

Ready to race!
Funny I just was on Youtube looking at CivicX Si's and was seriously underwhelmed. All stock Si's going to the track get 93-95mph trap, and they don't start touching 100mph until they've been flashed and fiddled a bit. The slowest GTI I saw, stock, 99.x mph. Then I started looking at JB4, Stage 2, and yeah my curiosity with the Si pretty much died right there.

You know what is surprisingly fast? A new F-150. Raced one the other day, I had to overcome some serious FWD demons! The F-150 jumped me by like 3 cars (I think my Titan would smoke my GTI across a large intersection no prob too) and it took me a LOOOONG time to get the power back onto the pavement and reel the guy in.

Anyways, I seriously considered the Si. I am a huge Honda fan(boi). My GTI is my first Euro car, you know how Jap car guys love to bash Euro cars! But 21st Century Honda isn't the same as 20th Century Honda.

Here's what I can't stand about the Si:

-The black window trim peels (same as my previous Si did too! WTF Honda?!?)
-The Android Infotainment system is possessed, unreliable and doesn't have knobs
-The sheet metal is so thin that the hood tin-cans when you wash the car, and the C pillars dent themselves
-The AC vents droop on a hot day
-Si turbos have been failing (Well Mk7 early versions did too)
-they are UGLY, WAY too many swoops
-only a 6MT? Yeah I'll keep my DSG
-no option for a "Lighting Package"
-1.5 liter motor, WTF? It should be 2.0T in the class it occupies. The new Accord 2.0T+10AT traps 102mph! Now we are talking! (Accord 2.0T has a detuned/decontented CTR motor, just as the Si should have had!)

It's a $25K car for a reason! It's cheap.

I am a big Honda fan. I could *possibly* be OK with a 1.5T CivicX if it wasn't so over-styled. Those of us who appreciate the old-school Hondas clean lines certainly must appreciate the clean lines of the Mk7. I always say the Mk7 is the successor to the 1990 Civic Si hatchback that Honda failed to make. I actually really really wanted a 2dr red GTI because it looks so much like the old Si actually...

I think the Frs/Brz tried this approach as well with regards to styling. Overdone or understated, if you don’t reward the enthusiast with at least potential under the hood, they’ll get bored quickly. I think the 2 door si is similar to the frs as far as styling and power output, the 1.5 is just a watered down version of the type R as far as styling. Both are hideous in my opinion. 25k for a car isn’t cheap in my opinion, you can find amazing quality for 25k in Mazda’s with everything but performance. Heat soak and my ignorance played a role in the confusion. But overall for someone just starting out or a fan of cars, the Si is not a bad car. The Gti in my opinion is just better in every way and has a way of manufacturing a very refined and upscale feeling car, while keeping the price down.

Loonster

Ready to race!
Don't really care for the look of the SI. The whole Civic line has gotten too big. At the end of the day it's a 1.5L engine, so it's going to take a lot more to get it into the 300 whp range. We can do that with a simple stage 1 flash and be done with it. As far as dollars are concerned, you'll never see 6-7k discounts for Honda's. The whole dieselgate thing has been both good and bad for VW owners. If you bought one prior to the scandal then you were seriously affected by it, if you bought one after the scandal, you probably got a great price on one. I don't think there's a better time to get a 2017 GTI than right now. They're so heavily discounted you can get some top of the line trim levels for a whole lot cheaper than sticker. I cant imagine anyone walking into a Honda store and saying that they'd like a 6k discount on a 25k Honda and actually getting away with it. GTI's are a bargain right now.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
While we are talking about the Honda 1.5T, can we all agree that Honda should put the Si's 1.5T into the Fit? You'd have my attention then!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
While we are talking about the Honda 1.5T, can we all agree that Honda should put the Si's 1.5T into the Fit? You'd have my attention then!

Agreed.

If they even made a 6 spd manual version that isn't geared so high, I'd be driving one now. At 80, it's at 4000rpm. So buzzy.

The 1.5t would be a perfect Fit (pun intended)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My apr stage 1 gti and another local apr stage 1 gti (redshift) trapped 109-110 consistently at Zmax.

https://youtu.be/ZrCWoWmS0Ug
Video of our runs. He was short shifting like these guys suggested, I was running the gears all the way out

You shoulda put bus lengths on that SI...even with a car load of people.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I went to a Honda dealership before I got my GTI. I originally wanted a Type R, please don't judge, I kinda like the look and I love the idea of Type R's. But no dealership has them and the couple that do, sell for a large amount over msrp.

The SI is a decent car, I looked at those too. But the interior is shit and the power output isn't there. I was looking at the sport hatchback but you cant get it with leather and a 6-speed. And CVT's are horrendous.

That being said they are very reliable cars, but stock for stock a GTI will win. And tuned, the SI isn't in the same class.

[Edit] Everytime I see an SI or a sport hatch, I get happy that I picked the far superior car, at least in my mind.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI

laznsher23

Walked into a Honda dealership on the off chance they had a Type R. Looked around a bit and saw a new Si with a 5k markup over MSRP. Literally LOLed and walked out.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Walked into a Honda dealership on the off chance they had a Type R. Looked around a bit and saw a new Si with a 5k markup over MSRP. Literally LOLed and walked out.

They do the same thing here. The sticker price was like 30k+