GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE 200Cell HFC Downpipe and CEL

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hi all,
I've looked at several threads and it seems that it may be a hit or miss item, but I'm going to have my installs done in a week and a half, part of those installs is the IE downpipe with 200 cell high flow cat. I use EQT tuning (stage 2 during install) and due to Cobb, clearing out the CEL isn't possible if it pops up.

With that said:
1. Anyone else have this particular downpipe and have issues?
2. If I get a CEL what's the route to make it disappear? Would a software/coding solution work such as VCDS? I also have an ODBEleven, which from what I understand has longform coding on it, would it be possible to use that to clear it permanently?

Or should I just return the downpipe now for ones that were suggested via facebook? Milltek downpipe was suggested.

Thanks.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
OBD11 and VCDS will not save you. You can try a straight O2 spacer insert for stock location cat pipe. Probably the same answers you've already read.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
you can clear the cel if it pops up, < your wording not mine, but you can not hide it. you may get an intermittent code for the catalyst, most of which can be fixed with a spacer, some have had great luck with inspections with 200 cell cats, I intend to use a spacer for my catless , as i am in CA no visual is required, you can check the readiness monitors after clearing your CEL.

there are a number of spacers that you can use/buy

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cel-and-vibrant-performance-j-o2-spacer.376054/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/those-with-o2-spacers-and-cel-free.347146/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-o2-sensor-spacer.327646/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-o2-spacer-cel-journey-is-finally-over.358252/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dp-o2-spacer-help.383256/

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Jajaja asking here now? Spacers mess with AFR correction logic of the ECU.
Once again, return your IE and get a Milltek HJS, AMS, BullX or Bain custom GESI cat.

Last edited:

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Once again, return your IE and get a Milltek HJS, AMS, BullX or Bain custom GESI cat.
Yeah, No offense, I just try to get as many opinions/thoughts from multiple sources. I'm looking at the AMS downpipe or Milltek HJS currently as a replacement. The Milltek shows a 200 cell count cat, what's the difference between the milltek and the IE (which also has a 200 cell cat)?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Not true. The front O2 is used for closed loop fueling. The rear O2 (the one where the spacer goes) is used to confirm cat health/efficiency. If you go down the EQT rabbit hole, you'll eventually find yourself in a pile of shit.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
@Jaer
Get this for your IE pipe and just be done with it. I've had mine on for 3 or 4 years now through summers and winters. No issues while starting the car in -10F or 100F.
Use the middle insert. The J spacers seem to work, but much more finicky because the exhaust cases get trapped in the J section sometimes and you'll throw a CEL. You basically want to pull the sensor out of the moving stream just a bit. I've literally NEVER thrown a CEL since install of this. Didn't even need to mess with it after install. Probably jinxed myself at this point.

https://fasthemis.com/i-23837153-vi...traight-w-adjustable-jets-cel-eliminator.html

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Not true. The front O2 is used for closed loop fueling. The rear O2 (the one where the spacer goes) is used to confirm cat health/efficiency. If you go down the EQT rabbit hole, you'll eventually find yourself in a pile of shit.
And how the efficiency of the cat is obtained champ? By correcting AFR smart boy

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
And how the efficiency of the cat is obtained champ? By correcting AFR smart boy

No the car will not change lambda under normal driving conditions to help the efficiency of the cat. The cat is an emissions device, if the ECU doesn't see expected values it just throws a light. It doesn't fuck around with trying to make it work.

The rear O2 may be used verify lambda at cruise, but I've never seen my cruise lambda go crazy. I've never seen full load lambda targets go off with my O2 spacer.

Explain to us how the ECU makes the cat more efficient my correcting AFR, champ, smart boy.

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
OBD11 and VCDS will not save you. You can try a straight O2 spacer insert for stock location cat pipe. Probably the same answers you've already read.
This. There use to be an O2 spacer thread on this forum started by @GTI Jake (Baun Performance) but it seems to have been deleted and I can assume why. Anyway, Jake recommended the straight spacer for those that have catted DPs with the O2 spacer bung AFTER the cat. I think a lot of people try to use the J-style spacer and quickly figure out it doesn't work.

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
No the car will not change lambda under normal driving conditions to help the efficiency of the cat. The cat is an emissions device, if the ECU doesn't see expected values it just throws a light. It doesn't fuck around with trying to make it work.

The rear O2 may be used verify lambda at cruise, but I've never seen my cruise lambda go crazy. I've never seen full load lambda targets go off with my O2 spacer.

Explain to us how the ECU makes the cat more efficient my correcting AFR, champ, smart boy.
Be my guest

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653667047969.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653667047969.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 102
  • FB_IMG_1653667041448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653667041448.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 101

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Be my guest
Neither one hits set point. There is some other problem. Try again. Don't even try to tell me it's not supposed to hit set point. You're gonna lose this one. 9% is well within the ECU's ability to compensate. There isn't a reason why the set point and actual should be off by that much.

Your information is bad. Your data is bad. Your tune is bad.

I'll play your stupid game.

This is my car with a spacer on a IE DP which the OP is talking about.

1653675590879.png

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I see now that you're just posting shit you're getting out of the EQT FB group. It's not even your own data which you understand. Just stop.