GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I just went Stage 1 Unitronic on my 2016 Golf 1.8T and I have a few questions

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
It's been amazing so far. I haven't even been tuned for a full day but I'm really excited to see what this car can do.

I drove it off the lot a year ago and I've put all 33,000 km on it since then. I've been following the factory maintenance schedule but now that it's tuned I'd like to do as much preventative maintenance as I can. I'm not worried about whether or not I'll be flagged at my dealership--the guys there are mod-friendly and actually recommended that I tune it. And on top of that, I'll probably be going to the local shop that tuned me every other oil change and going with Liqui-Moly 5w-40

Here's what I'm thinking so far, but I'd appreciate any feedback on supporting mods or the maintenance schedule:

- 7,500 km oil changes instead of the recommended 15,000 km
- Will I see performance gains from a CAI?
- Should I look into new spark plugs? I've read mixed reviews about the effectiveness of RS7 plugs, for instance.
- Is there anything I should watch out for? The tech working on my car told me that these engines can have problems with the fuel injectors.

Thanks in advance. Unitronic rates the tune at 242 hp/273 tq but all I know is that this thing is a blast to drive now. I mean, it always was but it's on another level now.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It's been amazing so far. I haven't even been tuned for a full day but I'm really excited to see what this car can do.

I drove it off the lot a year ago and I've put all 33,000 km on it since then. I've been following the factory maintenance schedule but now that it's tuned I'd like to do as much preventative maintenance as I can. I'm not worried about whether or not I'll be flagged at my dealership--the guys there are mod-friendly and actually recommended that I tune it. And on top of that, I'll probably be going to the local shop that tuned me every other oil change and going with Liqui-Moly 5w-40

Here's what I'm thinking so far, but I'd appreciate any feedback on supporting mods or the maintenance schedule:

- Should I look into new spark plugs? I've read mixed reviews about the effectiveness of RS7 plugs, for instance.
- Is there anything I should watch out for? The tech working on my car told me that these engines can have problems with the fuel injectors.

Thanks in advance. Unitronic rates the tune at 242 hp/273 tq but all I know is that this thing is a blast to drive now. I mean, it always was but it's on another level now.

First off, even though you will get help here, you'll be better off posting in the golf engine section. Secondly, glad you are enjoying the tune. It really wakes up the 1.8.
As far as your questions, changing the oil more frequently can't hurt. It also depends on your driving conditions and habits. I'm finding that the reminder is right on the ball for me and telling me to change already at less than 5,000 miles. A CAI won't really do much other than make noise. Our intake is the same as the gti. It flows quite well. You can change the filter to a high flow, remove the snow guard below the filter and cut out the vents in the grill right in front of the airbox. I'm using a JB4 and e30 on stock plugs with no problems. Again, same plugs as the gti. At our power level they should be fine. I'm on the fence about changing to the RS7 plugs to see if it does anything. I doubt it as I have logged lots of pulls and have no timing issues. I'm not sure the techs background, but I haven't heard any issues with fuel injectors on the MK7. Maybe he thinks because the older platforms had them that it carries over. Enjoy. I'm sure it won't be long before you are thinking about a downpipe and going stage 2

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reply, TwinDad. I appreciate it.

That's good to know about the CAI--I didn't realize we shared it with the GTI. I imagine that there'd be at least some performance games with the high-flow filter. Are you able to recommend one?

The tech works at a shop that's been taking care of European vehicles for nearly 30 years. He only mentioned the thing about the fuel injectors to me because there were still a few fault codes when they ran the diagnostic on my engine before applying the tune. One of them had to do with the fuel injectors.

I haven't seen an EPC light for a few months now but I want to take extra care now to preserve the engine now that it's tuned.The only time I'd seen them before was when I stupidly ran the engine hard before it had a chance to warm up, and once during a cold start.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reply, TwinDad. I appreciate it.

That's good to know about the CAI--I didn't realize we shared it with the GTI. I imagine that there'd be at least some performance games with the high-flow filter. Are you able to recommend one?

The tech works at a shop that's been taking care of European vehicles for nearly 30 years. He only mentioned the thing about the fuel injectors to me because there were still a few fault codes when they ran the diagnostic on my engine before applying the tune. One of them had to do with the fuel injectors.

I haven't seen an EPC light for a few months now but I want to take extra care now to preserve the engine now that it's tuned.The only time I'd seen them before was when I stupidly ran the engine hard before it had a chance to warm up, and once during a cold start.
could you post your oem lowering springs height ?

Chronic

Go Kart Champion

I agree with the 7500km oil changes
Your tuned now so oil is important

As for CAI agree that if you are stock then no need for it
But you are tuned now so you will see minor gains on stage 1 and little more on stage 2

For spark plugs you'll want to go colder as you up the horse power RS7 will work fine as your not going to be adding over 100 hp to your car

Anyways that's my opinion and this is first time I've heard of fuel injectors bad on the golfs MK7's

Last edited:

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Anyways that's my opinion and this is first time I've heard of fuel injectors bad on the golfs MK7's

Thanks for the feedback, Chronic.

I'm guessing that the tech had worked on a lot of 1.8Ts over the years so there's a chance he was talking about the older generations.

I noticed that you have a CTS Turbo CAI. How do you like it? I've read a bit about the advantages of open vs. closed CAI's but of course, it's always a different story in practice.

And Chris, here's a picture of the car with the OEM springs:

Before: http://imgur.com/D0cM4RN

After: http://imgur.com/VTU9nyH

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
For me it is what I wanted like you said everyone has an opinion
CTS looks nice sounds nice and it performs as it should
The whole open air closed air is all about preference,all depends what your use to as I have only bought open air intakes and always will
Here's a few pics

Ram the air in in my opinion is the best way for the coldest possible air going into Intake

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I cut out the stock grill vents to achieve the same direct cold air. Stock airbox still though. Just put a K&N filter in, removed the snow guard and I blocked off the side that feeds across the radiator too. This way the air comes directly in from the grill to the airbox. I have a friend who was running an open intake on his gti. He JB4 with a downpipe. He felt the low end was soft, so he put the stock airbox back on with the grill cut out. He swears it pulls harder. Everyone has their own opinions on it though. I think they all do about the same

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the feedback, Chronic.

I'm guessing that the tech had worked on a lot of 1.8Ts over the years so there's a chance he was talking about the older generations.

I noticed that you have a CTS Turbo CAI. How do you like it? I've read a bit about the advantages of open vs. closed CAI's but of course, it's always a different story in practice.

And Chris, here's a picture of the car with the OEM springs:

Before: http://imgur.com/D0cM4RN

After: http://imgur.com/VTU9nyH

What are the OEM springs?

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R

1. 7,500 km oil changes instead of the recommended 15,000 km
2. Will I see performance gains from a CAI?
3. Should I look into new spark plugs? I've read mixed reviews about the effectiveness of RS7 plugs, for instance.
4. Is there anything I should watch out for? The tech working on my car told me that these engines can have problems with the fuel injectors.

1. Never a bad idea, I set my thing at 8000 and try not to let it go past 10,000.
2. Nnnnnnnnope.
3. Nah. When it comes times to do your plugs (I think VW recommends 80k I could be wrong though), then get some better ones. Don't make a point of changing them now. Stock are fine. Im at 77k with 70k of those at stage 2 with stock plugs, stock intake, many track days. Car has ran perfectly :)
4. Every engine "can have problems". If it ain't broken don't fix it. Otherwise, don't worry about it so much, you'll go crazy.

Cheers fellow Canadian eh :cool:

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
1. Never a bad idea, I set my thing at 8000 and try not to let it go past 10,000.
2. Nnnnnnnnope.
3. Nah. When it comes times to do your plugs (I think VW recommends 80k I could be wrong though), then get some better ones. Don't make a point of changing them now. Stock are fine. Im at 77k with 70k of those at stage 2 with stock plugs, stock intake, many track days. Car has ran perfectly :)
4. Every engine "can have problems". If it ain't broken don't fix it. Otherwise, don't worry about it so much, you'll go crazy.

Cheers fellow Canadian eh :cool:

Ay, thanks for the reply, Freshpots. Looks like we're from the same neck of the woods.

Are you familiar with SEM Motorsport? That's where I had the tune done. They told me that they can do oil changes for $100 and they'll use Liqui Moly 5w-40. It's right around the price of a oil change at the dealership, but do you know any other spots around the city that'll do it for less?

What are the OEM springs?

Just the DG lowering springs that they sell at the dealership.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Ay, thanks for the reply, Freshpots. Looks like we're from the same neck of the woods.

Are you familiar with SEM Motorsport? That's where I had the tune done. They told me that they can do oil changes for $100 and they'll use Liqui Moly 5w-40. It's right around the price of a oil change at the dealership, but do you know any other spots around the city that'll do it for less?

SEM is great but I mean.. Don't go there for oil changes lol. That's like paying a heart surgeon to put a bandaid on your thumb.

Go to Today's Automotive at Warden and Sheppard (in the same parking lot as the Petro Canada). Volkswagen Midtown Toronto is literally next door to it, so you can go there and get your filter/drain plug and then go next door and have the oil changed. Today's Automotive uses Liqui Moly as well, and Stephen is a good dude. I pay around $50 for the oil change.

charles.v

Hi Skinnyroots,

I wanted to check in and see how your Golf is running? I know you've had the tune for a while now, I was wondering how it's holding up? I wanted to see the long-term review? Any issues or problems? Also, How is the preventative maintenance going? Any other mods as well?

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T

I know it's such an old thread but my car is also from 2017 and i am wondering did you go stage 2 ?

how's your car with stage 1 or stage 2 in terms of reliability?

Thank you

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

#1. Yes, 15km is too long in my view, to begin with.
#2. No, only sound.
#3. No, your tune was developed for stock plugs, keep on using stock plugs. I am stage two on stock plugs.

$100 for an oil change with LM is a good price.