Go Kart Champion
Konig ultraforms would look sharp!

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
I call it Tomato Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Ordered a new wheel due to that pothole I hit last month. Then I’ll be putting the ExtremeContact Sports on for summer.

Downpipe or Coilovers coming soon.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion

The journey’s over gang. Wish I could say this ended on the best of terms, but it’s bittersweet.

My car was totaled due to a mechanical breakdown on a money shift. The upgraded clutch held fine for a bit but then gradually started to fuck itself, especially going into third. When I would go to shift into third it would not slide into gear fully or even at all. This was Southbend, for those curious. At first, I chalked it up to one lazy misshift, but it happened again and after testing it out something wasn’t right. It was all a matter of days. Before I had time to address the issue, it happened. A highway merge from second into third - Nope, first - caused me all the heartache. Went to upshift and it dropped right into first on me. By the time I could even react the damage was done.

14 years of daily driving a clutch without issue and within a couple months of having this aftermarket one this happens. It’s easy to spot the culprit. Either way, the red beast is gone.

My GTI journey is over. I made out fine financially so I can’t complain. Thought I should update this with a final post so anyone curious about this build knows what’s up.

Y’all can spot me on the ST forums, as that’s where I’ll be. I wish everyone the best and hope to stay in touch with some of you fine fellows on here ✌️

PS check out my mini part out if interested

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sad to hear. I drive a TDI but your car is one of my inspirations. Not a great picture but you won't be forgotten on here anytime soon.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Take care Hulk, fun watching your car build! What ST did you get focus or fiesta?

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Sad to hear. I drive a TDI but your car is one of my inspirations. Not a great picture but you won't be forgotten on here anytime soon.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thanks man, looks great! Love the Neuspeeds

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Take care Hulk, fun watching your car build! What ST did you get focus or fiesta?

[emoji482] cheers mate
Focus ST. Quite a fun car I must say

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Sad news for sure - your car was one of my favorites. Kept me up at night thinking about those 17" wheels...

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion

The journey’s over gang. Wish I could say this ended on the best of terms, but it’s bittersweet.

My car was totaled due to a mechanical breakdown on a money shift. The upgraded clutch held fine for a bit but then gradually started to fuck itself, especially going into third. When I would go to shift into third it would not slide into gear fully or even at all. This was Southbend, for those curious. At first, I chalked it up to one lazy misshift, but it happened again and after testing it out something wasn’t right. It was all a matter of days. Before I had time to address the issue, it happened. A highway merge from second into third - Nope, first - caused me all the heartache. Went to upshift and it dropped right into first on me. By the time I could even react the damage was done.

14 years of daily driving a clutch without issue and within a couple months of having this aftermarket one this happens. It’s easy to spot the culprit. Either way, the red beast is gone.

My GTI journey is over. I made out fine financially so I can’t complain. Thought I should update this with a final post so anyone curious about this build knows what’s up.

Y’all can spot me on the ST forums, as that’s where I’ll be. I wish everyone the best and hope to stay in touch with some of you fine fellows on here [emoji111]️

PS check out my mini part out if interested

Sad day! Good luck with the new ride sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Oh no!! Sucks to hear, but I’m glad to hear it wasn’t because of an crash/accident! I hope you enjoy your Ferd! Definitely a whole different animal.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Hulk if you don't mind, would be cool if you could give some feedback on the focus vs the GTI from an owners perspective? Also let's see a pic of the new ride[emoji41][emoji106]

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Hulk if you don't mind, would be cool if you could give some feedback on the focus vs the GTI from an owners perspective? Also let's see a pic of the new ride[emoji41][emoji106]

Thanks all for the kind words and farewells! Nice to know this journal was worthwhile.

Jedi, that’s a good idea. Been really going over some comparisons in my head recently. Didn’t even think to share that here:

So from an owners perspective, here goes:

The ST exterior looks better IMO. I always felt the GTI had a boring front end and bad rear leaning stance. I still feel that way. The ST comes stock with a more aggressive look and stance. I’ve also gotten more compliments from this car in the short time I’ve had it. The GTI is an acquired taste, which I like, but it also has that awful reverse rake that I’ll never forgive.

The interior overall is nicer in the GTI. I’ll forever miss my sexy plaid seats. The GTI just blows the competitors out the water with a perfect compromise of sporty and comfort, yet still feeling refined. The WRX, another major competitor, has the worst interior of the three. Just plain boring. The Focus ST has a pretty bland looking interior tbh, but the touchpoints are actually better than the GTI.

The steering wheel, the e-brake (the location of which actually makes sense) and definitely the gear shifter. More weight to the ST standard shift knob and it’s grip is accommodating to overhand and side grips, similarly to what you’d look for from an aftermarket option for the GTI. The mk7 had a stock shifter that looked cool, but was too light and boring to really experience. Rowing through the gears on the ST, on the other hand, is much more fun and engaging. Ford has really delivered on an enjoyable manual driving experience. There’s something satisfying about banging gears in this one. The car only comes in MT, and it’s this kind of confidence that makes the car stand out.

Out of its competitors it is my opinion that the focus st is the best manual driver. Though the DSG is obviously great it was never for me. I’m MT for life, and I’m happy to know the stock clutch on the FoST is much more capable and able than the mk7 platform. It has a much higher torque rating from the factory, is conservatively rated m, and can actually handle some modding, which leads me to my next point.

Ford has a plethora of in-warranty modding options. GTI finally got APR plus, but aside from that there really aren’t that many ways to mod a GTI with piece of mind. Ford Racing and Mountune offer all kinds of performance mods that will keep that warranty intact. Different exhausts, suspension mods, intercoolers, intakes, Ford Calibration, tune reflash, etc.

The GTI and ST, stock for stock, are basically just as fast as each other in a straight line. The ST has more low end torque but Peters out quicker than the GTI. So to me the GTI was funner on long pulls and highway merges. The ST feels better ripping around town and down country roads. I’d say the ST *feels* slightly faster - probably all that torque early on. Though the Ford has the stronger clutch, it’s weak link seems to be the intercooler. Just like ppl say the downpipe is restrictive for the GTI, the focus st community has suggested to me that the intercooler is an early mod to go with dot reduce heat soak.

The handling is where the biggest difference is. The ST has this loose rear end suspension which contributes to a slight oversteer around corners. A FWD hatch with oversteer? Such a unique feeling. Again, that goes along with this feeling of the car being more “fun” in that the car wags it’s tail like a happy dog around corners. Is it actually quicker around a track? I have no idea, but it’s certainly the more fun one to punch around a bend.

My takeaway is this: If you want a refined car with great modding potential and don’t mind an automatic, get the mk7 DSG. You’ll smoke muscle cars and STI’s with your golf and it’s very satisfying. However, if you want a hot hatch with a great manual transmission, the ST is king.

The ST being discontinued in the states is a sad day. The Mazda S3 went away years ago, along with the WRX wagon. As a lover of a true hot hatch (an affordable, practical performance car) - not these new mega hatches that aren’t a budget car - it’s sad to see all the GTI competitors go away. The Veloster N seems to be the only upcoming hatch to fill that void. As for its price, who can say. Meanwhile, I’m glad I was able to get the last year for the ST. They’ve really worked to fix any early problems it had / for example, the torque steer has been greatly reduced with the new models. At any rate, i got a 2018 for below invoice price so that didn’t hurt.

As for my modding goals on this new car - I plan on keeping it simple. I’ve learned all kinds of things from my experience on the GTI - both good and bad. I once considered doing an OEM to OEM+ Build before I got started with my GTI, and this time around that’s my goal. After trying lots of added power on a FWD hatch (pretty unnecessary), I’m looking for a more balanced car. My ST is going to run mostly OEM modifications. Subtle, modest adjustments that don’t drastically change the car as it feels and drives stock. I have a newfound appreciation for tested, well-fitted OEM parts after experiencing how variable aftermarket parts can be. Fitment issues, etc. I really like the ST as it comes from the manufacturer, it’s very well balanced. That, plus my previous bad luck w the GTI has me being more conservative this time out.

Hope this answers any questions y’all might have. As always, feel free to drop me a line peoples.

-Hulk

Last edited: