GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to - Install a Dash Cam and Wire it to Power on with the Car

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the write up OP,
what if you wanted to install 2 cameras? currently I have 1 in front behind the rearview and a second one on the back window, connected to the power outlet in the back, but want to get rid of all the cables, would this setup be able to power both or do I need to tap into another fuse?

I have cam in the back well, hiding the cables is very easy. Pop a few panels and feed the power cable to the socket in the trunk, I covered the screen of the cam because it will not turn off for almost a minute, otherwise it works great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 4,106

themyst

Ready to race!
Anyone know if there's any constant power in that fuse box? Reason I need it is to use parking mode on the dash cam I am looking to buy. When you live in NYC, you wanna get those pesky bumper tappers and make them pay. Which I always do :)

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know if there's any constant power in that fuse box? Reason I need it is to use parking mode on the dash cam I am looking to buy. When you live in NYC, you wanna get those pesky bumper tappers and make them pay. Which I always do :)

how many cams are you going to install??

aeozyalcin1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello SomethingNew,

Thanks for the tutorial. I just installed my dashcam in my GTI. I am wondering what you did to route the cable from the door side of the A-pillar to the corner of the headliner? Right now, my cable runs up the A-pillar from inside the rubber seal, and then runs on the outside of the A-pillar to get to the headliner, and then from there it goes under the headliner to the dashcam. You didn't really cover what you did for the A-pillar to headliner part in your tutorial, and I didn't see any visible cables in your pictures. I don't want to pull out the A-pillar so any advice is appreciated!

jolebole

Ready to race!
Thanks for your guide. I installed a SplashETech Mini 0806 today and there are no exposed wires. I'm planing to install a rear camera next week and if the weather allows I might take some pics and make a guide.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hello SomethingNew,

Thanks for the tutorial. I just installed my dashcam in my GTI. I am wondering what you did to route the cable from the door side of the A-pillar to the corner of the headliner? Right now, my cable runs up the A-pillar from inside the rubber seal, and then runs on the outside of the A-pillar to get to the headliner, and then from there it goes under the headliner to the dashcam. You didn't really cover what you did for the A-pillar to headliner part in your tutorial, and I didn't see any visible cables in your pictures. I don't want to pull out the A-pillar so any advice is appreciated!
This video can give you an idea, it is basically a radar detector install but same concept, if you don't want to take the A pillar cover just pull the cover a bit but keep in mind that it will block the airbag.

http://youtu.be/hPJpqP6hf8k

PGT

Ready to race!
Thanks....got it done and only broke one panel (the curved one between the dash and door....doh! need the p/n so I can order a replacement).

Quite literally my shakedown run this afternoon to check alignment vertically and such (needed to move down and also set time/date, etc) after finishing the hardwire install last night. Side note; these are the dumb neighbor kids my kid isn't allowed to associate with anymore. Max speed on my part was 18mph in a 25mph zone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDjlzr2D638

Rexing V1, by the way

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Is there any way to have the cam running when your parked at a mall, or the similar? So if I'm not in my car and some jerkoff backs up into me and then drives away I can still get plate info?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Is there any way to have the cam running when your parked at a mall, or the similar? So if I'm not in my car and some jerkoff backs up into me and then drives away I can still get plate info?

Yes some will do what you want. For some brands you need a separate module so that you don't drain the battery

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Yes some will do what you want. For some brands you need a separate module so that you don't drain the battery

Ok, looks like I have to some options in what camera to get. I definitely want it to run while I'm parked somewhere else than hone. Thanks for the help