GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How Long Did Your Front Lip Last?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I would love to get a front lip but it would probably be a futile purchase for me. I'm only on DG springs and I already occasionally scrape my front. I will most likely get one anyway and learn the hard way.

Just wondering if anyone could share their experiences with their front lip/splitter.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just learn to drive a lowered car is my only advice.

Not to be rude, but on lowering springs (even VWR or similar) you shouldn't have any issues. Take speed bumps and driveway approaches at a hard angle and you can go just about anywhere even with the car 3" lower than yours

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just learn to drive a lowered car is my only advice.

Not to be rude......

Yeahhh but you are being rude. Making condescending assumptions as I've seen you do on this board before. Ummm yeah I've driven my share of lowered cars. And being an experienced lowered car driver like yourself-- you can't tell me you don't occasionally scrape your front end. There are situations where you simply can't avoid it.

That being said, this topic is about having a front lip on a MK7 and what kind of luck people are having with them lasting. Do you even have a lip installed? If so, please tell me about it. I'm being sincere.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
We'll take it as you want, but I'm not being rude nor have I ever scratched or scrapped my mk7 lip in 40,000 miles on VWR springs daily driving.

I don't have a lip on my mk7 for the same reason it's not on coilovers. My wife drives it somewhat regularly and complained enough about the cars pictured above being that low for me to sacrifice and run a closer to stock set up. I did have a lip on my mk6 gti, but ended up trading it shortly after since the car was for sale.

With all of that said my wife did daily drive the UG mk6 Tdi above for 30,000 miles at that ride height or lower when it was on the stock 17s. Never hurt the car or had issues, but she enjoys the carfree ground clearance of her SUV now...even tho she can drive low she chooses not to and I respect that. Speaking from experience isn't being rude, it's just speaking without the uncertainty most have around here

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
So even VWR springs require being extra careful? Just picked up a set of koni yellows and was thinking of pairing them with VWR springs because I assumed the drop was conservative enough to not have to cringe at every speed bump or driveway.

I'm really not about that "low life" nor do I want to change how I approach driveways or bumps. Just want to stiffen up the ride and eliminate wheel gap.

Are VWRs a bad idea for someone like me?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So even VWR springs require being extra careful? Just picked up a set of koni yellows and was thinking of pairing them with VWR springs because I assumed the drop was conservative enough to not have to cringe at every speed bump or driveway.

I'm really not about that "low life" nor do I want to change how I approach driveways or bumps. Just want to stiffen up the ride and eliminate wheel gap.

I am in 1 inch drop Eibach and for 99% of situations it is OK.
Main thing is to learn where you should not go and to watch closely when driving get new locations.
In my town I only have one spot I avoid all the time in GTI.
Might clear but figure why test it.
If in doubt and can not avoid take them at and angle.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Dips in the road can be just as dangerous to the front end, and they're much harder to see.

Some of this is pure luck, not necessarily a pure experience thing, learning where to avoid usually is the result of scraping once first.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

Vwrs are not that low.....I have ever scraped anything, most times now I go straight over speed bumps and never hit anything

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
He isn't being rude. He is right. The best advice is learning where not to go, spotting pot holes, knowing exactly where that underside is in relation to the ground at all times and knowing how to quickly bank a hard angle over bumps. If you can do this your lip will survive, springs or not. I have a maxton v1 lip but stock springs and ive scraped it from not doing these things when driving. I've learned fast.. lol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

No, I wouldn't consider any lowering springs on any car low. All of the pictures I posted are slammed on coilovers.

My VWR springs are so close to stock ride and drive ability my wife has yet to complain about them, which was exactly my goal

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
He isn't being rude. He is right.

Yeah but he's stating the obvious. So no s#%t. Sage advice yes, but rude to imply that I need to learn how to drive a lowered car. I don't care how care how long you've been driving a lowered car, scrapes will still happen from time to time. And it if does happen to someone else, I'm not going to question their driving skill. I understand it just comes with the territory.

That being said, what lips have people installed and how have they held up. I hear the Maxton V1 is brittle but V2 is better. Any truth to this?

I ultimately went with the ECS carbon fiber lip. My buddy thinks I'm crazy and says it's going to start fraying if I scrape it and it won't last long. He laughs and says not to drive in San Francisco anymore. I don't know where you guys live but the roads out here is a damn obstacle course.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Yeah but he's stating the obvious. So no s#%t. Sage advice yes, but rude to imply that I need to learn how to drive a lowered car. I don't care how care how long you've been driving a lowered car, scrapes will still happen from time to time. And it if does happen to someone else, I'm not going to question their driving skill. I understand it just comes with the territory.

That being said, what lips have people installed and how have they held up. I hear the Maxton V1 is brittle but V2 is better. Any truth to this?

I ultimately went with the ECS carbon fiber lip. My buddy thinks I'm crazy and says it's going to start fraying if I scrape it and it won't last long. He laughs and says not to drive in San Francisco anymore. I don't know where you guys live but the roads out here is a damn obstacle course.
I agree my man. We're all friends here. I have the v1 but it just isn't as robust as v2 but looks night and day better. The v2 looks awful imo, I think they made it because v1 kept breaking on people. Mine hasn't been on long tho and I could see a crack after just one good pot hole. Fraying can always be fixed. Take the same approach as fraying cordage, ie, snip and burn carrrreeefully lol. And can clear coat to protect but I'm sure you won't have many probs. I almost went with the ECS cf one but I don't like the pillars in the middle. Much prefer the clean oem ish look of the maxton v1.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
VWR springs and maxton lip for a few years now. Just took it off for the winter actually.

I would say if you drive careful and plan your approaches into the unfortunately curbed driveways of your friends houses then you’ll only scrape 10% or the time. But it’s almost impossible not to scrape at lease once a month on something. That said, it has held up really well.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Cool thanks for the info guys. Didn't know you could patch up the fraying. Will have to check into that.

When you take your lip off for the winter, does that mean you only use screws and no adhesive? I'll be moving to Colorado eventually so I need to get up to speed on the winterizing tips and tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk