GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you think VW with respond to the Type R?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
As many may already know, the Civic Type R beat the Clubsport S around "The Ring" by 3 seconds. Not only that, but it will be priced around the same as a loaded GTI. VW has to respond, but how? Just wondered what others think VW will do, gosh knows the Type R will certainly intercept GTI and possibly even R sales. Sure, it's a Honda and we all know the daily usability won't come close to a GTI/R, but some people like numbers and number only. This could work to our advantage as VW may give us something special. Or not. VWAG is known for keeping the special models on the other side of the pond.

What do you guys think? I would love to see a rendition of the Clubsport/Clubsport S come to the states, even if it isn't called the Clubsport anymore. I would be like "Here take my money VW" lol.

Last edited:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
No clue, other than speculation. I don't think VW _has_ to respond, really, though. They've made it pretty clear that, at least in NA, they aren't interested in chasing the needle in the numbers war. And I'm thinking they aren't too worried about cannibalization of GTI sales. Could be wrong, but I'm betting that they are betting that the style and vibe differences between Honda's batmobile things and the VWs puts the cars in very different buyer categories. Or at least, they'll be thinking there aren't enough number-chasers on the fence between the two marques to make it worth their while to send anything special over our way.

In Europe? No clue at all. Not familiar with the market there really.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Heh, I haven't been in a street race since my 20's. Last time I think was in Berlin, Germany, in our rented Audis and BMWs. Managed to out hustle the Navy guys through a few lights, much to their chagrin.

Why do you think VW will respond to a Honda? Who's Honda? Who cares about drag racing?
Volkswagen's got the R, they may even say get an Audi RS3. Has Honda anything to compete
against the RS3? So has Honda to respond to the RS3?

deanmarr

Ready to race!
As many may already know, the Civic Type R beat the Clubsport S around "The Ring" by 3 seconds. Not only that, but it will be priced around the same as a loaded GTI. VW has to respond, but how? Just wondered what others think VW will do, gosh knows the Type R will certainly intercept GTI and possibly even R sales. Sure, it's a Honda and we all know the daily usability won't come close to a GTI/R, but some people like numbers and number only. This could work to our advantage as VW may give us something special. Or not. VWAG is known for keeping the special models on the other side of the pond.

What do you guys think? I would love to see a rendition of the Clubsport/Clubsport S come to the states, even if it isn't called the Clubsport anymore. I would be like "Here take my money VW" lol.
Go stage 1 in the GTI. Bye bye ricer.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Why do you think VW will respond to a Honda? Who's Honda? Who cares about drag racing?
Volkswagen's got the R, they may even say get an Audi RS3. Has Honda anything to compete
against the RS3? So has Honda to respond to the RS3?
In terms of motorsports it's hard to simply blow Honda off. They've been around for a long time, and know what they're doing. Honestly what bad images we all have of Honda(short of their DNFs this year in F1) are credited to their buyers and fanboys, not the company itself. I still wouldn't ever consider a vehicle from them unless it starts with the letters "CBR". It would take a number cruncher on the fence to lose a GTI/R sale possibly, is that many people, who's to say. I know someone who bought an RS over an R because of numbers, and he has 3 VWs. This market changes it's mind every 5 or 6 years in terms of what it want's and likes.

Also, VW needs to start learning to react to other brands here in the states, you guys gotta remember VW isn't nearly as popular here as overseas. Not even close. Their SUVs for example, flops so far. What do most Americans want these days? SUVs and cars with huge trunks. VW gave us the B7 and it sold a ton in 2011 and '12, but sales for that fell off hard right after that, because other brands here responded. I'm not saying the GTI is under fire or threatened at all, but for once I would like to see something happen that would spark exciting car magazine articles and the sort. We all know the GTI is good, why even read reviews. I want to get excited for a VW here again. I hope the hot hatch market here continues to grow.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'm thinking a fifth tail pipe on the R would be an appropriate response.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
I'm thinking a fifth tail pipe on the R would be an appropriate response.

LOL this comment made me laugh a little too hard. Definitely need to add a spoiler onto the front bumper for maximum down force on a FWD car.

homersapiens

Seriously? When has a Honda ever been deficient in "daily usability".

I've owned 6 Honda's in succession and "daily usability" was never an issue. (Well, other than my S-2000). I will concede a hatchback is always more useful than a sedan, but that's it.

Last edited:

homersapiens

No clue, other than speculation. I don't think VW _has_ to respond, really, though. They've made it pretty clear that, at least in NA, they aren't interested in chasing the needle in the numbers war. And I'm thinking they aren't too worried about cannibalization of GTI sales. Could be wrong, but I'm betting that they are betting that the style and vibe differences between Honda's batmobile things and the VWs puts the cars in very different buyer categories. Or at least, they'll be thinking there aren't enough number-chasers on the fence between the two marques to make it worth their while to send anything special over our way.

In Europe? No clue at all. Not familiar with the market there really.

LOL! I will concede Honda has lost their way in styling. Their current styling reminds me of 60's era Buicks, in miniature. It's been all downhill since my '92 Civic EX.

The other thing that (finally) turned me off Honda's is they generally stopped offering hatchbacks and wagons. Apparently, they feel the CRV alone serves that market. Anyone who refuses to drive an SUV - even a small one - is just SOL with Honda.

I'm loving my Golf Sportwagen though.

(I also love my '05 S-2000, a bunch!)

Last edited: