GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How can I tell if the DCC shocks are worn?

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
2018 Golf R. It was a slow and gradual change, but the suspension doesn't feel like it used to. At least in "normal" DCC mode, it feels like the initial travel of the suspension seems under-damped, and then somehow extra damping kicks in mid-stroke or on bigger hits, resulting in a "harsh" sensation. It feels kind of "rubbery" and "jiggly" over smaller bumps, but body-lean is still controlled. "Comfort" mode doesn't have this rubbery feel but the car does wallow and lean more. "Race" still has the initial rubbery sensation too, but just harsher on the bumps.
The shocks aren't leaking fluid, and the LCA bushings are fine too. I'm not sure how exactly the DCC mechanism "wears out" since it seems to be some moving electromagnetic valve mechanism, not shims that fatigue under repeated bending. Maybe the shock fluid had viscosity breakdown?

BigLips19

Car(s)
'19 GTI SE 6MT
How many miles on your car? I've got 55k on my GTI with DCC and haven't noticed a discernable difference, I figure when they do eventually go it'll be the seals giving out that cause them to leak.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
46K miles
At that mileage, I’d be checking things like the front LCA bushings up front, which are famously terrible and sloppy, especially after a few years and 30-35k miles.

I have entire articles published on here about it.

The DCCs themselves are pretty solid unless the driver is plowing over speed bumps like an Altima owner.

A competent European shop can look at them for you and give you more feedback.

DM me if you need more info on how to inspect the suspension bushings and strut mounts.

-Goat 🐐

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
PXL_20240331_223755092.jpg

I think they're fine, but maybe I'm wrong and they're not fine.
Link to ur articles, plz

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Dcc shocks can "naturally" fail two ways that I'm aware of. Leaking seals or failing electronics. The former is easy to see if you look at the top and bottom of the strut and you see any oil or residue collection. The latter will likely result in errors when scanned, but may be missed. More often it's the wire loom than the electronics that would fail, but if the electronics on the shock fail, the whole thing is out.

These dcc shocks are Monroe and actually super competent. I wouldn't be concerned about them wearing too soon unless you have them way out of operating range with super high spring rates.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG