GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How can I make my exhaust sound like this?

myles1

Ready to race!
Hey there! Recently I stumbled upon a video of a Fiat 500s exhaust note, and holy hell it sounds glorious given it’s a 4 banger. Surely it’s possible to make the Golf sound similar? Any suggestions would be lovely. I’ve included the video for reference, around 1:40 is the exhaust.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zRmgjry5w

Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Engine swap.

Unfortunately there are a lot more things that go into engine sound than just the number of cylinders. My exhaust setup is resonator delete and downpipe with stock muffler, and I'm pretty happy with it. A bit burbley and a bit of grunt without being farty at all, but it's nothing compared to that fiat 1.4 and unfortunately I think it's far beyond my control to make it like that.

myles1

Ready to race!
Engine swap.

Unfortunately there are a lot more things that go into engine sound than just the number of cylinders. My exhaust setup is resonator delete and downpipe with stock muffler, and I'm pretty happy with it. A bit burbley and a bit of grunt without being farty at all, but it's nothing compared to that fiat 1.4 and unfortunately I think it's far beyond my control to make it like that.

Damn it. I wonder what makes it sound so good.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
As long as you have the stock muffler it's a non issue. It will still be just as quiet as stock but the sound will change. Even with what I've done the wind and tire noise is far louder than any engine noise while cruising.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
haha, its actually quiet simple really. They are using un-equal length heads to create a specific sound wave. Coupled with a certain exhaust build it creates that sound that you hear. However, due to this, it also takes away from the horsepower that the system can make.
Do some research on it and you will see what I mean.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Most WRX engines sound that way because they are boxer engines. Flat crank thats 180 degree split.

The unequal length headers do play a big role in it though. That's why the older Subaru engines sound better than the new ones.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The 500 abarth has no muffler. Sadly, a simple muffler delete on our cars wont make it sound as good.

Theres one in my neighborhood and it sounds mean as hell. First time I heard it I turned around and was surprised to see this pipsqueak car rumbling down the road. Its all bark and no bite though. Super impractical as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk