GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hood insulation removal for sound?

heliotrope

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the Injen cheapo intake, and LOVED the sound it made. I didn't love the performance drop in hot weather.

I've been reading that removing the hood insulation might make the turbo more audible. Anyone tried this? Any downsides? I can't imagine the hood getting hot enough to damage the paint (although I will measure) and I'm not really worried about engine fires.

AR11

Ready to race!
You're going to get more than just engine noise as a result of this (stupid) idea. I don't recommend it but do as you wish.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
This warrants a collage of facepalms...

I would not recommend this because even IF it did make more sound from removing it, then your hood would be exposed to absorb more heat from the engine. Causing the engine bay to be even hotter and making the heat soak even worse in hot weather causing the car to be even slower.

Gareezy

Passed Driver's Ed
Its for sound reduction. It doesn't absorb heat. Its not a fire blanket like some other people think. If you search the part number on the internet you'll find that the name associated with the part number says it is a sound deadener.

Also explain why the M4 does not come with hood insulation please.

Its for sound reduction. It doesn't absorb heat. Its not a fire blanket like some other people think. If you search the part number on the internet you'll find that the name associated with the part number says it is a sound deadener.

Also explain why the M4 does not come with hood insulation please.

I am not saying it's not for sound proofing. Parts can have multiple purposes. I just quickly googled "under WRX hood" and "under mustang hood" they all have a black shield cover under the hood too. Pretty much any car I have seen has it. Even cars that aren't sports cars.

They do have the function of protecting the hood from heat. Also from protecting the hood from any potential oil or coolant leaks too. Sure people remove it for a cleaner under the hood look sometimes. But I wouldn't remove it personally even if it does increase sound.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
I think I read some threads elsewhere about this. It seems to be big with the tdi crowd.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Ran my mk5 with no insulator for a few years with no negative consequences to the paint. It did audibly increase turbo sounds (and valvetrain noise).

Also pulled it off my tiguan two years ago with the same results.

Long term, it may keep your hood paint in better shape, but i'm not really 100% sure it's needed for anything besides quieting down the valvetrain noise, which becomes pretty substantial after removal.

If you pull it off, make sure you can put it back on if you don't like it.

Gareezy

Passed Driver's Ed
My point was that if hood insulation was so important you'd think that BMW would put it on their M4 but they don't. Those cars you googled and other cars have it to reduce engine noise.

I am not saying it's not for sound proofing. Parts can have multiple purposes. I just quickly googled "under WRX hood" and "under mustang hood" they all have a black shield cover under the hood too. Pretty much any car I have seen has it. Even cars that aren't sports cars.

They do have the function of protecting the hood from heat. Also from protecting the hood from any potential oil or coolant leaks too. Sure people remove it for a cleaner under the hood look sometimes. But I wouldn't remove it personally even if it does increase sound.

It's sound deadening purposes only. No heat insulation. Just see the
painting inside the engine bay of any car that is a couple of years old.
It looks like new.
Keep it, since it'll sound worse wirthout. It absorbs higher frequency
noise, say valvetrain, belts, gearbox. You don't want to increase that.