GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello and welcome. Introduce yourselves here

randomquickness

What's up fellas! Name is Matt. I don't own a vw but I had a '99 audi a6 a while back. Long story short, my best friend died last fall and was an avid auto crosser in Virginia. He was running a mk5 gti. Well before he died he parted his car out and traded it in on another car. His mom is giving me all of his car parts because he hadn't gotten a chance to sell them yet. I've gone through several cars but right now my daily is turning into more of a project and less reliable (though I love it to death and will never sell it) and my weekend car is exactly that, weekends only for the most part. I found myself looking at economical newer cars and after test driving the mk6 golf tdi I knew I'd found the right car. I've always loved wagons and hatches and the golfs have always appealed to me so I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on one. I have a couple questions though:

1. if I buy one without HID's is there an easy plug-n-play aftermarket solution?
2. will the coilovers from his mk5 gti fit it?
3. does the premium audio have more speakers or just better speakers?

Thanks for reading!

amorican

Hi all.

First post here, and I just wanted to say this seems like a nice place. I look forward to doing some extensive learning here.

Some background on my car history, I've owned two e30 BMW's, an old Volvo 740 GLE tank, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My most recent project of sorts/DD of the last four and a half years has been a 2005 Saab 92x Aero 5mt. I loved the car. I had it Cobb Stage 2 engine management, with a catless turbo back exhaust, catless up-pipe, short shifter, urethane shifter bushings, 15% tint, and HIDs. I also swapped my front seats for the heavily bolstered 02' WRX seats. The 92x is affectionately known as a Saabaru, as it's basically a WRX with an STI steering rack.

Long story short, I needed something more economical on the wallet in both payment, and minor mpg improvement. My father has an 09' base Jetta, and although I must admit I'm not a fan of FWD generally, it impressed me. I really like wagons and hatches, and wanted back into a two door, so I wound up negotiating a good lease on a 2011 Candy White 2 dr. 5MT Golf 2.5. It has the usual mat kit, and Bluetooth, and cold weather package.

I'm losing significant power and handling with this step down, however, for my needs, and this price range, it can't be beat. The interior, however, is an upgrade for sure. This car is really fun to drive, and the Candy White is just damn sexy. I am hesitant getting too active here, as I said that I'd leave my Saabaru stock until I was out of warranty and that sure didn't happen; forums certainly encouraged it :). Oh well, what's the point in not enjoying a car, and I can meet some cool people in the process.

For now, my desires, which are long term, are a tint first most likely. Next is wheels and tires. Don't know about 18's, but some 17"s and some ContiExtreme Contacts sound mighty fine. I had those on my Saabaru and absolutely loved them both in snow and dry. I will definitely miss that AWD, boxer rumble and suspension, but thus far, this little Golf is fun enough. It's a beautiful car, and I look forward to being a part of this community!

Amorican

Last edited:

jvizzacc

Hey everyone,

My name is Josh and I am from RI. I just purchased a black 2011 2dr DSG GTI with interlagos and it should be here early this week! I caught the vw bug (no pun intended) after my mother purchased an 2008 EOS and I took it for a few spins. Im pumped and cannot wait to get involved with this awesome VW community. If there are any local vw meetups around RI let me know!

BMHo

Ready to race!
Hello all,

Long time stalker, first time poster... Just got a brand new 2011 GTI, so I though it's time to stop lurking and starting posting!

fullback

Passed Driver's Ed
I got my Golf 6 last year and I've stripped it down and race it. Undefeated so far this year, fingers crossed, and I'm wondering if anybody knows how one gets a ride in the Jetta tdi cup. The website says entry is $45,000. I've got the credentials, including a visit to Bondurant, but I need to picked up by a team. I'm dirt poor and Ive just turned 18. Any knowledge on how to get any ride on any team in any series would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Richgsr

Car(s)
2018 White GTI
Hello all,

Just bought a shadow blue 2011 GTI and should take delivery of it in three weeks. I'm very excited. I've had Hondas for years, but the quality has gone down somewhat and I felt I needed a change. Really looking forward to driving this car.

-Rich

GTI_Flyer

I was in Germany and had a day off to go explore the area after a work trip. A coworker and I decided since we were already up in the Northwest of Germany and Amsterdam was only a few hours a way that we would rent a car and drive up there for the day. When we got to rental counter I asked for something German (obviously), hoping for an Audi s3, and was given a 2011 VW GTD. I started driving the car and immediately fell in love. The seats, the interior, and the drive are just phenomenal. I was able to drive it unrestricted on the Autobahn and it was like a dream. Took it up to 125mph and was a little to nervous to go beyond that...my coworker...a girl was telling me to go faster.

Anyways...2 weeks later and I have a 2011 GTI MKVI in my driveway. Black 4DR with standard options. I love it and have been driving around all day. Look forward to getting involved with VW enthusiasts and putting some subtle touches inside and under the hood. Message me if you know about any meet ups in the Cleveland ohio area.

NeuralCliques

Hi all.
I have been following this forum while researching VWs and finally decided on a '11 UGM GTI DSG. I have had it for two weeks and love it. This is my first new car and my first automatic.

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hey,
I've been lurking for info and stuff on my new Mk6 on the website for a couple of weeks now. I figured I should just join and say hi. My name is Mark. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I moved from a Nissan 350Z to a GTI a little over a month ago and I'm extremely happy with the car and my decision so far.

ma-bo-

Ready to race!
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2011 GTI 6MT 4dr in DBP last month and thought I would finally join the forum after lurking and researching for several months.
I've been in the market for a compact wagon/hatch for a couple years, and there really isn't a lot out there geared towards enthusiast drivers, especially with the CUV trend these days. I don't like the current Impreza hatchback style with the ricer tail lights, and Mazda Speed 3 with the smiley face was out of the question. I considered the Audi A3 for a long time, but didn't like the features that were unavailable with a manual transmission. I've never considered a VW before, but knowing the GTI shared the same platform as the A3, I figured it was worth a look.
The minute a sat in one and looked at the features available for $8000 less than a base A3, I made my decision :) Things have changed a lot with VW ever since the last time I sat in my friend's Mk3 VR6 many years ago!
I always work on my cars and not afraid of taking things apart, so I hope to contribute to this forum as much as I can.
It's too bad a shop manual isn't readily available yet. As far as know, the Ross-Tech site doesn't have a Bentley manual for our Mk6s.

Shock360

New to the forum

Enjoying my new United Gray 4 door 2011 GTI. The car has a 6 speed manual, sunroof and nav. Did a 600+ mile round trip to the Boston area last week and drove back tp PA with the car packed full of my daughter's college gear. The ride was comfortable and fun; mostly interstate with some good hills and winding roads. 30mpg+ at 65mph.
In the past we have owned '66 and '69 Beetles, '76 Rabbit, '84 Jetta and '94 Jetta. I had purchased a GTI new in 1986 and am happy to get another GTI 25 years later.
Our other current VW vehicles are a 2003 Jetta, 5M and a 2007 Rabbit automatic.
The 2011 GTI is a post tuition payment gift to myself.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 CW GTI Autobahn
Thought I'd introduce myself since I've stalked this site for a while and finally decided to sign up.

My name is Rhod and I live here in Sacramento, CA, originally grew up in the Bay Area. I've owned my 2011 CW GTI DSG Autobahn since November 2010, and the car is bone stock. Planning on keeping it that way.......for the time being :).

My past cars have been a 2002 Toyota Echo 5spd (coming out of high school), a 2001 Toyota Corolla slushbox (after I totalled my Echo), and now my 2011 GTI. Decided to pick up the GTI after I graduated from college and landed a job as a Software Engineer for a DoD contractor. Sort of a congratulatory gift to myself.

Why the GTI? Was looking specifically at hatchbacks so I can haul my dog and bike(s) in the back. I did research for a couple of years, and a number cars were under consideration: Subaru WRX, Volvo C30, Audi A3 to name a few. But ultimately as you all know, the GTI offered the best combination of comfort, gas mileage, speed, utility, refinement and price over the rest of the cars I was comparing it to.

Anyway, glad to be part of the forums now. Happy Dubbing everyone!

Shockwave1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone. I just purchased my first Volkswagen last week after a car accident in my 06 Legacy GT. I've been a Subaru guy for a long time, but I felt the need for a change. I purchased a new 2011 Shadow Blue Metallic, 2door, with the 6MT. I love the quality of the materials used in this car, not to mention how mush fun it is to drive.

I told myself that I was out of the car modding game after totaling my Legacy and losing my ass on it, but I find myself already looking at short throw shifters, and coilovers.