GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat & D mode driving

rafycotto

Ready to race!
So the temp is over 100 deg now in phx and I've noticed that after the car gets hot (220+ oil temp), the shift points in D mode raise ever so slightly. On a normal acceleration, I notice that 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear will hang at the 3k mark instead of shifting to the next gear.

Anyone else notice this?

Happening to me here in CA. temp over 105 deg.

pgard1

Ready to race!
I've noticed the same thing the last few days here in Florida. Glad to know I wasn't imagining things.

If you havent already notified your local Service Manager, please do so. The more folks that report the issue should help to increase the attention this gets.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Are we certain that it is actually an issue and that it isn't intentionally programmed to behave that way? Maybe VW found during testing that it was easier on the transmission in higher temps to raise the shift points somewhat.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Are we certain that it is actually an issue and that it isn't intentionally programmed to behave that way? Maybe VW found during testing that it was easier on the transmission in higher temps to raise the shift points somewhat.

I was thinking the same thing, but if that's the case, then VW should confirm this for us. Aside from the poorer MPG's I actually prefer the way it shifts at the higher shift points (seems smoother overall) in auto mode. Most of the time I drive in manual mode anyway.

mtbiker

Same problem on my 2015 Audi S3

My audi S3 2015 located in Las Vegas has the same problem.

Took it into the dealer. No help. They plugged it into the computer said everything was testing fine. We also drove another S3 at the dealership that had been sitting out in the heat and it had the same issue.

drew1

I had the same issue yesterday when it was 106. The indicated oil temp was 217, and I was just in Normal/D driving it easy in city traffic.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
No, this has to do with the programming of the DSG, not with the engine making less power due to heat soak.

I'm going to text my friend who's been an Audi tech for a number of years here in Florida and see if he's aware of the phenomenon and can perhaps confirm whether or not it's just a high temp mode that comes on above a certain temp.

mtbiker

No, this has to do with the programming of the DSG, not with the engine making less power due to heat soak.

I'm going to text my friend who's been an Audi tech for a number of years here in Florida and see if he's aware of the phenomenon and can perhaps confirm whether or not it's just a high temp mode that comes on above a certain temp.

Let us know what you find out.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I guess it could be a function of these new DSG's but it certainly never happened to me on my MKV's DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgard1

Ready to race!
UPDATE:

Here is what VW came back with to my SM:

"I received word from Volkswagen what they told me is the condition is normal. They called it a "Temperature based performance driving profile". When outside temp outside at or about 100 degrees the vehicle is programmed to keep the performance up and changes shifting patterns. That's all I have at this time."

-------------------------------------------

I expressed my concern around this response as this is a DD car for me. Constantly dealing with irregular shift patters, hard shifts, and 3k rpm cruising at 45mph when this occurs doesnt work for me. Looks like I will be reaching out to VWoA to see where this is going to go.

All-in-all, I'm pretty disappointed with this as I dont expect this type of issue on a 40k car. My 2012 GTI never had this issue.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
I think that's good news. At least we know for sure now that it is programmed that way (for a reason, not just to piss you off) and isn't erratic unexpected behavior.

My best guess as to why they would program it that way would be to keep the responsiveness of the engine in a more ideal range because at those temps the IAT's are going to be sky high causing a decrease in power.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Good news that it's normal behaviour. Hopefully they'll start working on a software fix for it that people can get on a voluntary basis.