GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hearing clunking when turning wheel all the way

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
So I recently lowered my car but upon receiving it back. I noticed that in sharp turns I hear a loud clunking noise. As if a metal is getting stuck to another piece of metal and making that noise. Only happens when I turn the wheel to the right all the way. I get a slight clunky noise when I turn it to the left but not as bad.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks :)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Gotcha. Would you recommend just the front or both the front and rears? And which brand?
No, I mean check them and ensure they're tightened

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
No, I mean check them and ensure they're tightened

Oh I see. I’ll take a look and check them out. Perhaps the person who installed them didn’t quite tighten everything back together. Worth mentioning to him, thank you!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Check the sway bar bolts as mentioned above.

If that is ruled out you can try and recreate in a parking lot with the hood open. It might be the Strut Mount Bearings.

Did you have them replace those?

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Check the sway bar bolts as mentioned above.

If that is ruled out you can try and recreate in a parking lot with the hood open. It might be the Strut Mount Bearings.

Did you have them replace those?

I’ll have the person who installed the springs check out the bolts. If that’s not the case I’ll have him check the strut mount bearings because I did not have them replaced. Everything was reused.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
OP....is this noise during sharp turns over bumps or just turns?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Just turns. Over bumps it seems to be fine and quiet. It’s mainly whenever I start to make a turn, I can hear creaks and clunking
Yeah I go back to sway bar and end link bolts not properly tightened

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
subbing for update. I have this intermittently, not enough to worry me, but it only comes up at embarrassing times. Like, drove from Florida to Pittsburgh, no issues. Pull into a parking lot with a bunch of nice cars, so I don't want to look like a total VW peasant, and boom, make loud noises.

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
I am feeling the same symptoms as OP. Did u ever find out what caused the noise? I need to fix the issue ASAP because it’s driving me nuts. I only here the noise when coming out of my drive way or making a sharp turn while not moving. Over bumps and pot holes there is no noise

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I am feeling the same symptoms as OP. Did u ever find out what caused the noise? I need to fix the issue ASAP because it’s driving me nuts. I only here the noise when coming out of my drive way or making a sharp turn while not moving. Over bumps and pot holes there is no noise
It's most likely the sway bar end links. If they're not tight enough it's really easy for them to move just a tad every time there's a force on the sway bar

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
A sway bar is a torsion bar connecting opposing suspension sides together to reduce body roll. By nature, the car needs the suspension under load to tighten the end links to avoid noise due to preload. The best way I now to do that is connect & tighten everything except one lower end of an end link. Put the wheels back on and put the car on ramps to tighten the last end link.