GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

hatch lid compartment

jtucker

Passed Driver's Ed
There is a covered compartment on the inside of the hatch lid, directly ahead of the latch. Inside is a bracket that is obviously meant to hold something. Any idea what it might be. I am new to the MK7 GTI, returning after previously owning a new MK1 back in 1983.

Thanks,

J. Tucker

Wass

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you are referring to the rear hatch release compartment. This is used to open the hatch from inside. You remove the cover and then slide your fob key bit into a slot. Then push it to the left while pushing the rear hatch out. I think there is a dual purpose to hold a VW warning triangle.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
My dealer told me that it was for one of those collapsible umbrellas. They said that it was a "British thing". Really you can put whatever fits in there in. The collapsible safety triangles also fit well.

jtucker

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it is the hatch release, but there is a bracket that holds something. It sounds like either a warning triangle or umbrella...who knows?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Kjhcambs

Ready to race!
My dealer told me that it was for one of those collapsible umbrellas. They said that it was a "British thing". Really you can put whatever fits in there in. The collapsible safety triangles also fit well.

British thing. :) thats pretty lame, from the salesman. I will see if the teapot fits lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
British thing. :) thats pretty lame, from the salesman. I will see if the teapot fits lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget the crumpets. Or do they store in the teapot?

I know you Brits know what rain is. Who would stand in the pouring rain to open the hatch and release an umbrella from its holder? If a salesman told me that I'd ask him to accompany me to parts so I could order the VW umbrella that goes there.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
My snow brush fits perfectly!!!! My sister-in-law pointed out an umbrella would also. Use your imagination, but yes, as other have said VW intended it for a warning triangle, which it should come with I think.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Brits know what rain is. Who would stand in the pouring rain to open the hatch and release an umbrella from its holder? If a salesman told me that I'd ask him to accompany me to parts so I could order the VW umbrella that goes there.
Well some, like myself, hate clutter in the passenger compartment, and keep everything in the trunk if it doesn't fit in the door holders. But, that's just me.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I still have a snow brush from when I lived in the NE. It sits in my attic. You never know when it's going to snow here :)