GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hardware replacement for IS20--->IS38

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
The problem with waiting for the is20 to blow before replacing it is the potential of more work and cost and depending on how bad the turbo blows parts that may need to be replaced other than the turbo.

I for one would prefer not the extra cost and replace before it goes.

Good point ...
Find it a little bit frustrating spending 30$K + for a car and having to pay 1800$ + to replace the turbo for piece of mind.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Good point ...
Find it a little bit frustrating spending 30$K + for a car and having to pay 1800$ + to replace the turbo for piece of mind.

However you are doubling the power.of the car quite literally. Can't complain about that :D

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Crazy part is wolf ran that is20 to the ground and it still held strong. I think its just luck of the draw with any turbo tbh.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Crazy part is wolf ran that is20 to the ground and it still held strong. I think its just luck of the draw with any turbo tbh.

I want to believe this so badly. As mine has held up quite nicely. But it would be nice if we could psyhically inspect if our turbos are good.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
wy2sl0 said:
However you are doubling the power.of the car quite literally. Can't complain about that :D

No arguing this! But this is also done on a FWD platform. Must use sticky tires ($$$) and even then ...

I want to believe this so badly. As mine has held up quite nicely. But it would be nice if we could psyhically inspect if our turbos are good.

Yep - that would be pretty wicked. It's something that's always in the back of my mind. I tend to hold back in beating the car since you never know.

Venumous

Ready to race!

And if you didn't tune it would be covered for 60k if the turbo did go as well. I mod all things but you cant complain about having to pay to fix something if you take the chance.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone know of IS20 vs IS38 dynos on a GTI? I'd love to see the powerband after a swap.

Full boost comes on around 400 to 500rpm later and holds to redline on the is38.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Full boost comes on around 400 to 500rpm later and holds to redline on the is38.

TBH I think if tunes moved the powerband out to how the JB4 guys do theirs, our turbos would have a much higher likelihood of surviving. For those tuned with 5150 can someone ask if that might be possible?

This would give me some reassurance until is38 goes in.

I'm not having much luck getting a hold of him as of late...

Last edited:

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I don't think the IS20 is any less reliable than the IS38. I think it mostly comes down to how hard the end user wants to push the turbo, it can only do so much.

You can check for shaft play at every oil change and see if it changes. Not the best measure, but could save you down the road.

Perry01

Ready to race!
TBH I think if tunes moved the powerband out to how the JB4 guys do theirs, our turbos would have a much higher likelihood of surviving. For those tuned with 5150 can someone ask if that might be possible?

This would give me some reassurance until is38 goes in.

I agree about the powerband. Pushing your IS20 well beyond its efficiency range will probably reduce its life expectancy.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Here is a log done when MoonLuv's turbo gave up.

Turbo experts please chime in on what looks possibly the cause lol. Boost looks conservative and nothing really jumps out at me. Just a bad part maybe?

Lower timing meaning more turbo stress to make power?

http://datazap.me/u/moonluv810/freek...og=0&data=7-11

BTW turbo shaft RPM is within 500 of what 5150 tune is running. For example one was 205045 the other 205545.