GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI owner thinking of swapping to a Golf R

KO7

Ready to race!
Yup, I've realized I'm screwed when it comes time to replacing the R and I want something different while staying in the same price bracket and retaining the combination of performance, AWD, dual clutch transmission, interior quality, practicality, and safety/convenience features. Nothing else comes close to ticking all the boxes.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I agree. But if that means I’ll be driving R’s for the foreseeable future I wouldn’t have a problem with that! The two cars I wish we got was the RS3 hatch and A45 hatch, definitely more expensive though.
Agree with you about that! I have no problem with driving a Golf GTI or R for my only car :D

Listen guys, if you're looking for mpg, VW has an app for that!

My other Mk7: http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/2015/BlueHenTDI/618927
I LOVE TDIs. I had a mk6 that averaged ~40mpg over it's 2-3 years I owned it. I even had a KermaTDI tune that did wonders for the engine :D

Alas, no independent rear suspension never sat well with me on the mk7. And no AWD option for the TDI was the final nail in the coffin. If I did get a TDI I'd get a gen 1 again (2011-2014). Then put a cp3 pump on it and keep it forever :p

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Went from mk6 gti to mk7 golf r. Shouldn't have waited so long. Fwiw, the DSG on my R is WAY better behaved than it ever was on my GTI.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
OP,

I take it you do not have PP in GTI.
If you did I think the draw of the R would be less.
Yes the R will be beat in rain and snow but a FWD with LSD is a good thing.
For history my family is from Wisconsin.
When my Dad retired from the Army I had to finish High School and College in Wisconsin so 6 years of snow driving in FWD Honda Civic and a CRX. FWD in snow does well and I was only stuck once due to snow plow pile I tried to cross.

In snow the LSD makes a difference. You feel the side to side wheel spin but it still pulls hard and in a straight line. You do get winter in your location but it is not super heavy is it, and for many months? The decision to switch is yours and depends on funds. You will lose money but up to you what you can handle. The R is a good car but so is the GTI.

If you keep GTI try a set of winter tires/wheels.
The tires help any car. Also good time to try 17" wheels with more tire meat.
Likely a help in your location.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
OP,

I take it you do not have PP in GTI.
If you did I think the draw of the R would be less.
Yes the R will be beat in rain and snow but a FWD with LSD is a good thing.
For history my family is from Wisconsin.
When my Dad retired from the Army I had to finish High School and College in Wisconsin so 6 years of snow driving in FWD Honda Civic and a CRX. FWD in snow does well and I was only stuck once due to snow plow pile I tried to cross.

In snow the LSD makes a difference. You feel the side to side wheel spin but it still pulls hard and in a straight line. You do get winter in your location but it is not super heavy is it, and for many months? The decision to switch is yours and depends on funds. You will lose money but up to you what you can handle. The R is a good car but so is the GTI.

If you keep GTI try a set of winter tires/wheels.
The tires help any car. Also good time to try 17" wheels with more tire meat.
Likely a help in your location.
I have the 2017 Sport trim. Which is basically the S with both lighting and performance packages. Love the car, but the FWD part seems to be the only limiting factor.

I'm going to see how the "Increased Traction" vcds mod helps the front end grip.

But in the end a is38 and FWD seems like I'd be spinning through the first two or three gears under WOT. Money spent on mods to get to that point seem to be better spent on the Golf R.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I agree with Sandman, the LSD in the snow works really well. Pair that with snow tires and the GTI is better in the snow than most cars on the road. Hell the LSD on dry pavement was really fun, but I’ve never had AWD before so once I got into the R I was blown away. Many things to consider!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I agree with Sandman, the LSD in the snow works really well. Pair that with snow tires and the GTI is better in the snow than most cars on the road. Hell the LSD on dry pavement was really fun, but I’ve never had AWD before so once I got into the R I was blown away. Many things to consider!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I agree with both of you guys!

If it wasn't for the limited slip on the performance package I would have went for the Golf R from the start. Again, I currently have winter centric tires on my car. The Nokian-wrg3 to be exact. Fantastic tires for sure! They skid very little if at all in the dry unless I'm REALLY hooning. Wet is more "fun" I'm able to get a bit of rotation going in turns. But I'll be honest, reaching those limits in my car to other drivers probably looks like I'm a mad man :D

Ultimately, I feel like the Golf R is a better overall fit for my area. Though the GTI with Performance package is indeed 85% of what you'd get from the Golf R. And being a bit lighter the GTI feels a little more playful :D

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
When I went from the GTI to the R, I felt I did indeed lose a bit of playfulness, but gained a lot of stability and solidity. In the snow, both are great with winter tires, but the R is simply right at home (as long as the snow isn't too deep for the ground clearance). Can't really go wrong with either.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Yep, I agree with both of you guys!

If it wasn't for the limited slip on the performance package I would have went for the Golf R from the start. Again, I currently have winter centric tires on my car. The Nokian-wrg3 to be exact. Fantastic tires for sure! They skid very little if at all in the dry unless I'm REALLY hooning. Wet is more "fun" I'm able to get a bit of rotation going in turns. But I'll be honest, reaching those limits in my car to other drivers probably looks like I'm a mad man :D

Ultimately, I feel like the Golf R is a better overall fit for my area. Though the GTI with Performance package is indeed 85% of what you'd get from the Golf R. And being a bit lighter the GTI feels a little more playful :D

You really don't need an AWD car in baltimore for snow (I lived in DC, worked in bmore for 5 years), because freaking NOBODY knows how to drive in snow down there. Most businesses will be closed, and snow is rare enough it really shouldn't factor into your decision to go AWD.

That said, AWD is awesome for traction in all conditions, not just snow, but don't let the 1-2 snowy days a year make your decision for you!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
A bit of a update to the thread... Test drove a friend's 6MT mk7 golf R today. The manual transmission is so well geared though it really does have short gears for the power output. Would be nice if 6th was a bit longer for highway use.

Between the two (manual vs DSG) it really is a tough call. They are both fantastic depending on what you want. I still feel like the R is a better fit for the DSG. That said, if you want to row your own gears the manual is fantastic!

Interesting note is that the clutch feels a bit heavier and grabs much sooner than the GTI's clutch. Not bad though!

On to the replies...

When I went from the GTI to the R, I felt I did indeed lose a bit of playfulness, but gained a lot of stability and solidity. In the snow, both are great with winter tires, but the R is simply right at home (as long as the snow isn't too deep for the ground clearance). Can't really go wrong with either.
This is exactly what I am looking for. Both Rs I've driven feel so buttoned down. I feel like I'd have to be doing stupid speeds to get near the limits of the car.

You really don't need an AWD car in baltimore for snow (I lived in DC, worked in bmore for 5 years), because freaking NOBODY knows how to drive in snow down there. Most businesses will be closed, and snow is rare enough it really shouldn't factor into your decision to go AWD.

That said, AWD is awesome for traction in all conditions, not just snow, but don't let the 1-2 snowy days a year make your decision for you!
I can work from home when the weather is bad in the winter. And yeah, NO ONE seems to know how to drive. The concept of keep right except to pass is alien to most people here. It's amazing how much better drivers are in PA once you get 20miles into PA :D

OP, how much snow do you get? How many months, how many inches?
Is global warming not helping you?
Well normally, not too much. But we tend to get a interesting mix of winter weather conditions.

I really like the traction that awd offers in all conditions. The sure-footed feeling is great! And quite honestly I'd be happy with the stock power of the R. Maybe stage one. If I went DSG I would have to get a DSG tune.

Overall the features that I'm really looking forward to getting...
-AWD (duh :p)
-DAP
-DCC
-No sunroof (they never did it for me)
-the highly adjustable driver's seat that is much more comfortable than the GTI's seat.
-much slower depreciation.

Don't get me wrong here. The GTI is a fantastic car! I guess you could say that I'm simply looking for a bit more of a car.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
The manual transmission is so well geared though it really does have short gears for the power output. Would be nice if 6th was a bit longer for highway use.

Between the two (manual vs DSG) it really is a tough call.

I am a big fan of the short gearing in the manual R, and wish the GTi had it too.....however, I can agree with you that it would have it's downsides. I haven't driven the DSG R yet (as I would unlikely modify it, I was searching specifically for a manual to drive for the long haul), but I can't imagine it being bad lol. Having owned both DSG and 6spd mk7 GTi's now, I do think that the DSG is the better car, but I still enjoying the traditional manual quite a lot. My next car will be a very hard choice I imagine.

Interesting note is that the clutch feels a bit heavier and grabs much sooner than the GTI's clutch. Not bad though!
So I'm NOT crazy!?! Lol, when I first drove my current GTi, it was one of the most perplexing cars I'd ever driven because of the clutch. It was almost like they made it so people who had been driving manual their whole life, couldn't drive it smoothly haha.

I test drove the R with the manual, and it felt very different, and I had no issues at all lol. I wasn't sure if I was crazy, or it was real. I also get drove the 2017 GTi Autobahn, and the clutch felt different than the 2015 I have now. Weird.

-the highly adjustable driver's seat that is much more comfortable than the GTI's seat.

Did you get the Autobahn for your GTi? My 1st mk7 was an Autobahn, and now I've got the SE....and I totally miss those Autobahn seats. They just have more adjustments, and they're important ones! (rake being the most important one)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ara35

Passed Driver's Ed
I traded in a 2015 GTI with Eurodyne stage 2 for a 2017 Golf R. I felt the car was maxed at Stage 2 and the wheel spin and lack of control made me start looking at the R.

Financially – Probably not a great decision, but was able to swing it and traded my GTI for what I owed on it.

Everything else – Great decision. I’m on Eurodyne Stage 1 and the car is a monster. Control off the line and in corners, straight line speed and feel is superior to the GTI. One downside at the start was going from 2 door – 4 door but I have to say, I am sold on the 4 door now. I realize that the ease of use far outweighs aesthetics. I am so happy to get rid of the sunroof, rattled like crazy and all the fixes never worked.

Manual on both cars. I know the DSG is amazing but really I enjoy the manual. I will say I never had an issue with the clutch on the GTI, even with stage 2 for 6 months. Golf R clutch is already slipping (same clutch supposedly..). So I’ll be replacing that. That’s the only issue so far, but I know it’s the game we play when we tune, just early than anticipated.

Feel free to PM for more information! Good luck!!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I traded in a 2015 GTI with Eurodyne stage 2 for a 2017 Golf R. I felt the car was maxed at Stage 2 and the wheel spin and lack of control made me start looking at the R.

Financially – Probably not a great decision, but was able to swing it and traded my GTI for what I owed on it.

Everything else – Great decision. I’m on Eurodyne Stage 1 and the car is a monster. Control off the line and in corners, straight line speed and feel is superior to the GTI. One downside at the start was going from 2 door – 4 door but I have to say, I am sold on the 4 door now. I realize that the ease of use far outweighs aesthetics. I am so happy to get rid of the sunroof, rattled like crazy and all the fixes never worked.

Manual on both cars. I know the DSG is amazing but really I enjoy the manual. I will say I never had an issue with the clutch on the GTI, even with stage 2 for 6 months. Golf R clutch is already slipping (same clutch supposedly..). So I’ll be replacing that. That’s the only issue so far, but I know it’s the game we play when we tune, just early than anticipated.

Feel free to PM for more information! Good luck!!
Nice!

I'll be honest with you, I'm more torn between the two transmission choices than I was with the GTI. In the GTI the choice was easy. The DSG in that just seemed to be blah in comparison to the manual transmission. The R has closer gear ratios in both transmissions. The DSG also seems much snappier as well.

I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning towards the DSG ever so slightly.