GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI DSG Service Issue - Please Help

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Here here, completely agree. Forums are full of people advising the wrong way to do things, and spreading incorrect information flippantly. Like take this post for example:

^ lol

Over filling and removing the drain plug to observe what comes out is a waste of time.

4.7 is what it calls for. Fill it to that spec and be done.

It actually calls for 5.2 L per VW.

1713454380344.png

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/performSearchArticleSimple.do

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1713455369829.png

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Absolutely this. That's the problem with forums. While it's not going to harm anything doing it that way, it's still not right. Then you get people thinking that's the way vw recommends lol. 👀

There's people on here changing suspension with a 2x4 for fuck sake.
Used tubafur for downpipe removal. No fucks given.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Here here, completely agree. Forums are full of people advising the wrong way to do things, and spreading incorrect information flippantly. Like take this post for example:

It actually calls for 5.2 L per VW.

View attachment 303455

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/performSearchArticleSimple.do
Yep, book is 5.2l....but it then states to run up the dsg to temp window while cycling through the gears, and check final level by observing stream. Which will generally bring it down to....4.7l give or take a few ml. That extra 0.2l is the justification for some shops to sell dsg change kits with 6l not 5l.

As I mentioned earlier, I did the 4.7l top fill and called it good (might have been more like 4.75ish thinking about it as I wanted to account for any filter loss) But then I went and checked properly anyway. Didn't even get 50ml out before it slowed to broken trickle.

Next time round, to save a bit of time I think I'll do bottom fill method and will pump 5l in with my hand pump (gravity filling via the drain plug seems like nonsense to me....if you are going to do that you might as well just top fill with funnel through the filter) then whip the drain plug in, run it up to temp etc and then correctly level it. Only thing with bottom fill way is you've got to have fairly fast hands and be quick with the plug after disconnecting your fill attachment as you will lose a bit. Which is another reason why the book probably says 5.2l....to account for a little bit more loss if you fumble the initial drain plug reinsertion.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Only thing with bottom fill way is you've got to have fairly fast hands and be quick with the plug after disconnecting your fill attachment as you will lose a bit. Which is another reason why the book probably says 5.2l....to account for a little bit more loss if you fumble the initial drain plug reinsertion.
Put the snorkel in from the start and pump the fluid through that into the transmission. Then you’re removing the pump line once it’s up to temp and whatever drains out, should be the overflow.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yep, book is 5.2l....but it then states to run up the dsg to temp window while cycling through the gears, and check final level by observing stream. Which will generally bring it down to....4.7l give or take a few ml. That extra 0.2l is the justification for some shops to sell dsg change kits with 6l not 5l.

As I mentioned earlier, I did the 4.7l top fill and called it good (might have been more like 4.75ish thinking about it as I wanted to account for any filter loss) But then I went and checked properly anyway. Didn't even get 50ml out before it slowed to broken trickle.

Next time round, to save a bit of time I think I'll do bottom fill method and will pump 5l in with my hand pump (gravity filling via the drain plug seems like nonsense to me....if you are going to do that you might as well just top fill with funnel through the filter) then whip the drain plug in, run it up to temp etc and then correctly level it. Only thing with bottom fill way is you've got to have fairly fast hands and be quick with the plug after disconnecting your fill attachment as you will lose a bit. Which is another reason why the book probably says 5.2l....to account for a little bit more loss if you fumble the initial drain plug reinsertion.

I will say this, a fluid pump is absolutely worth it. I've done a DQ250 filling from the filter hole, and a DQ381 bottom gravity fill. I recently bought this pump for $48, and it made shit so much quicker and easier.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Ha, spot on. Of course knew to put the snorkel in first having done a couple of other vw non dsg auto boxes bottom fill.... but have always put the drain plug in finger tight before starting the car and running it up. And a there is no real need, especially as I even made a rubber bung for my attachment so I can quickly pull the hose off and put the bung in to make it easier to unscrew the attachment... so I can get the actual drain plug back in faster! Whereas as you say, no need to really take that off till car up to temp.

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I will say this, a fluid pump is absolutely worth it. I've done a DQ250 filling from the filter hole, and a DQ381 bottom gravity fill. I recently bought this pump for $48, and it made shit so much quicker and easier.
I went even cheaper, with a 'slippery Pete' one off Amazon for about $15. Fits right on the bottles (came with different attachments for different width bottle caps). Pump your one liter in, unscrew bottle and on to next one. Has worked great on 09G box on the 1.8, also used it when I did my vaq diff service on the gti. Much less hassle than messing about threading a tube down through the engine bay and then having to gravity feed as I've seen some do on YouTube.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I went even cheaper, with a 'slippery Pete' one off Amazon for about $15. Fits right on the bottles (came with different attachments for different width bottle caps). Pump your one liter in, unscrew bottle and on to next one. Has worked great on 09G box on the 1.8, also used it when I did my vaq diff service on the gti. Much less hassle than messing about threading a tube down through the engine bay and then having to gravity feed as I've seen some do on YouTube.

I have one of those that I used for my rear diff service. Definitely better than gravity filling. I didn't mind buying the actual pump because there are about 4 or 5 cars it'll get used on (in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area and want to do a DSG service? Hit me up), but if you're only going to use it once every couple of years, I can see why the bottle pump is enough.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Doing this just seems so much easier and less messy than any sort of drain hole pump adapter contraption IMO. You can empty the entire bottle and walk away for 2-3 mins and then put in the next one. The funnel is cheap too.

IMG_20210307_113541193.jpg

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...transmission-fluid-service-tool/000545sch01a/

I’ve used this tool for at least 5 dsg services and it also works on the haldex unit with one of the included adapters. Technically it can be made to work for the bevel box as well but since it’s so little fluid just using a big syringe style hand pump was probably easier and quicker. Just make sure you have a regulator that goes low enough, do not send 90 psi of shop air through it or you will have a bad time.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Doing this just seems so much easier and less messy than any sort of drain hole pump adapter contraption IMO. You can empty the entire bottle and walk away for 2-3 mins and then put in the next one. The funnel is cheap too.

View attachment 303462
That probably makes more sense for the 250 since you have to remove the battery and intake to change the filter. The 381 however can be done from underneath completely.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
That probably makes more sense for the 250 since you have to remove the battery and intake to change the filter. The 381 however can be done from underneath completely.
Ah okay my experience is only with the 250s. Makes sense to me then to just pump it if you can just do it all from under.

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
Thanks for everyones help...talked to another mechanic who specializes in VWs/Audis...He said once I dropped it off it needed to sit a few hours to get cold before he did something...does this sound right?

I thought you warmed the transmission up to temp before checking but could be wrong.