GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Green Autohold Indicator - AID1 Golf7/7.5 - For 791A Instrument

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I've been following this forum on vortex for a while as I retrofitted the autohold button to my wife's MK2 Tiguan. Anyway, someone figured out how to enable the green P for the autohold feature on the AID2 in the Tiguan. With the help and clarification on ross-tech I was able to get it to work on the AID1 (791A) on my MK7 Golf R (retrofitted). Note that the cluster that I have retrofitted has the (P) in lieu of the american market "park".

Anyway, generic coding is as follows:
VCDS In ABS Module [03] Byte 8 bit 1 checked
Byte 19 bit 6 checked

Bits checkboxes do not show in VCDS in the ABS module for me. Ended up having to manually code.
Hexadecimal
Byte 8 - 45 to 47
Byte 19 - A2 to E2

Video of Activation

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Couple questions...
1) Your car is a 6MT?
2) Do you have start stop?

If only number one, in what situation(s) does your EPB auto hold?

If one and two, I would assume that means your car has neutral position sensor. In which case I would also assume it auto holds when in neutral and at a stop (even if the engine doesn't stop for whatever reason). But then are there any other situations where you get auto hold?

Background here... my car is 6MT with almost complete EPB retrofit. I've been wondering about the auto hold function. And whether it is something I would ever see... Until @2018gti and/or I build up the courage to drill into the transmission case to retrofit start-stop that is 😂.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
For 6MT Golfs w/o EPB, I assume we're talking about the hill hold feature? Or is this something totally separate?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Couple questions...
1) Your car is a 6MT?
2) Do you have start stop?

If only number one, in what situation(s) does your EPB auto hold?

If one and two, I would assume that means your car has neutral position sensor. In which case I would also assume it auto holds when in neutral and at a stop (even if the engine doesn't stop for whatever reason). But then are there any other situations where you get auto hold?

Background here... my car is 6MT with almost complete EPB retrofit. I've been wondering about the auto hold function. And whether it is something I would ever see... Until @2018gti and/or I build up the courage to drill into the transmission case to retrofit start-stop that is 😂.
I know the R8 I drove had auto hold. It was a manual as well. No stop start though.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For 6MT Golfs w/o EPB, I assume we're talking about the hill hold feature? Or is this something totally separate?
I'm not 100% sure. Auto hold (and the indicator) should work at stop lights or stop and go traffic, and use the electronic parking brake.

Hill hold uses the ABS and only works on an incline. I don't know that it uses the EPB on so equipped cars but I would be surprised.

There is separate coding for hill hold and auto hold in the ABS module, for whatever that's worth.

I know the R8 I drove had auto hold. It was a manual as well. No stop start though.
That's promising. Although it's also possible that because of the electronic parking brake (and auto hold) that the R8 manual was/is equipped with the neutral position sensor, even though it doesn't have start-stop.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I'm not 100% sure. Auto hold (and the indicator) should work at stop lights or stop and go traffic, and use the electronic parking brake.

Hill hold uses the ABS and only works on an incline. I don't know that it uses the EPB on so equipped cars but I would be surprised.

There is separate coding for hill hold and auto hold in the ABS module, for whatever that's worth.

That's promising. Although it's also possible that because of the electronic parking brake (and auto hold) that the R8 manual was/is equipped with the neutral position sensor, even though it doesn't have start-stop.
I can’t speak to that. I can tell you even once you have it in gear it still holds the brake until the throttle input is increased.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I can’t speak to that. I can tell you even once you have it in gear it still holds the brake until the throttle input is increased.
Gotcha... did it have a green indicator in the dash to let you know hold was engaged? And could you hear the EPB engage/ disengage?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Gotcha... did it have a green indicator in the dash to let you know hold was engaged? And could you hear the EPB engage/ disengage?
No on both. I wasn’t aware of what it was when I drove it. I didn’t have my golf yet. I recall looking at the dash trying to figure out why it felt different. After I got my R I realized what it was.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No on both. I wasn’t aware of what it was when I drove it. I didn’t have my golf yet. I recall looking at the dash trying to figure out why it felt different. After I got my R I realized what it was.
Oh, then we might be talking about different things. My Golf has hill hold assist.

I'm talking about this feature, which is an extension of electronic parking brake...
https://www.vwgolf.org/auto_hold_function-261.html

Oddly it seems that a lot of NAR vehicles don't actually give the green indication in the dash when this version of auto hold is active.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Oh, then we might be talking about different things. My Golf has hill hold assist.

I'm talking about this feature, which is an extension of electronic parking brake...
https://www.vwgolf.org/auto_hold_function-261.html

Oddly it seems that a lot of NAR vehicles don't actually give the green indication in the dash when this version of auto hold is active.
Yup. That’s the one. No indicator in my car.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
If one and two, I would assume
1) Yes, my car is a 6MT

2) No, I do not have stop/start.

This retrofit is also seemingly exclusive to those clusters that have the "(P)" symbol and not "PARK". So, if you decided to retrofit a cluster that has the (P), you're in luck, otherwise, it seems clusters with the "PARK" symbol won't have this built into the software (maybe hardware too). I tried this on my wife's NAR MK2 Tiguan with the AID2 and it did not work. She has a cluster with "PARK" instead of the (P).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Kushdaiin Gotcha. I've got a 791A (software updates to 791B) cluster with (P) simple. So your work here will be stolen by yours truly 🙏🏿.

So in what situations do you get auto hold? Is it also safe to assume the situations haven't changed, but the difference is now you get the green (P) as an indication?

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
@Cuzoe The indicator comes on after coming to a complete stop and after initially starting the car and moving the EPB (goes from red to green). The reality is that there were many times where I didn't really know that it was coming on prior to changing the coding. I was worried it might become a nuisance light, but it is really nice to see when autohold activates. Speaking of, I've been heavily contemplating retrofitting the Golf R brake set onto my GSW, including the EPB. I've really grown to like that feature and the center console is way better. Anyway, I've only seen a couple of comments from you, but overall, the wiring sounds like it was a bit more involved than you initially thought? I was going to do the brake booster/master cylinder as well, just to get the whole package in there.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The wiring isn't too bad really. It's the swapping ABS modules (if your car has 38 pin instead of 46) with the TDI having a bunch of emissions equipment in the way. If you happen to already have the 46 pin ABS that would be a major win. The center console is annoying to swap, lots of different parts needed. I still don't have A/C in the back because I didn't think about the plastic vent tube being different. Cheap part, and it's in my garage, just haven't got around to pulling the console again. And really only want to do it one more time so it won't happen until I have time to also take care of this center console RGB stuff (got all the parts, just no time)... https://www.drive2.ru/l/594167288630902422/

I suppose that's the best time to do booster/master cylinder. But for what it's worth I have brake booster/master cylinder still in my garage from when I first installed Brembo 17zs up front (6 pots). I thought I'd have an issue with brake pedal... but never did. I've since switched to Macan (4 pot) fronts to avoid the need for a spacer with PP (and now Golf R, but same size) rears and still no issue with the brake pedal. I suspect the GSW has the same MC as my Golf TDI. I don't see any situation where I ever swap the brake booster/master cylinder unless something fails.