GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf TSI good traveling car?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Best highway car under 30k? fat chance. there are many more spacious, quieter and more comfortable cars that get even better mileage for under $30k

Nyulak

Ready to race!
That isn't VW's fault...
Wasn’t blaming VW for anything. Somebody made a post after my initial post that stated they would rather drive a TSI than a lowered and tuned GTI. I thought it was a reference to my GTI being tuned and lowered and I just wanted to add that my TSI was also tuned and lowered. Oddly, that post has disappeared.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
My TSI still absolutely eats up the miles. Only real issue is with my exhaust setup giving me a bit engine drone at speeds above 85, but well I really shouldn't be going that fast anyways lol.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
on topic....my Mustang was a better hwy cruiser but the GTI is a better drivers car. I wouldn't consider renting unless it was for work. I've done similar drives often for work and it's cheaper for the boss to rent (and buy gas) than pay the .55 per miles I get driving my own. If you are interested in scoping out new car and want to get a good idea of it go ahead and rent one.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Im just confused how you put 50k on your car but don't know if its a good car to drive..?

silkblue

Passed Driver's Ed
Just drove for 11 hrs round trip a couple weekends ago and would say the golf is perfect for long drives.

I have a 2-door 5-speed and it was fine. Just make sure to do all of ur maintenance at 50k (esp tires!) and you should be good. Like w any car, do all the safety checks and you're good!