GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R stage 1+ Possible haldex issues?

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Had a 2017 Golf R
So when I launch the car at 4k RPM with Uni stage 1+ the car sounds like it wheel hops mildly then the haldex catches up and I bog then I go
I used to get a 0-60 of about 3.7 seconds now i get about 4.0.

No other way I can really explain it.
feels like the haldex is lagging or something.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
How worn are your tires? How many miles?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's winter now...cold roads?

If it sounds like it wheel hops, it because it does. Try a BFI dog bone mount insert to take some of the terrible stock mount sloppiness out

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Getting really close to tire rotation time.

Would certainly start with the simple things that might be different as opposed to starting with the most complicated.

Just because the tire feels fresh from sticking your finger in the tread it doesn't mean that they're still gripping like day 1.

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Had a 2017 Golf R
Getting really close to tire rotation time.

Would certainly start with the simple things that might be different as opposed to starting with the most complicated.

Just because the tire feels fresh from sticking your finger in the tread it doesn't mean that they're still gripping like day 1.

Yeah fair point I should rotate them. gives me a chance to clean the rims while the wheels are off

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
watch out, my haldex completely failed ( and the dealer did not warranty it) because of my tune and downpipe etc. (even though I tuned the car back to stock when I took it in).

I was having major wheel hop after stage 2 REVO, and then one day no wheel hop and the front tires just broke loose. only R I know that could do a massive FWD burnout.

Wheel hop can be caused by a few things obviously, and may not be related at all to the AWD system. But, if you have good tires, no broken or worn bushings, chances are might be on your way to a future haldex issue.

lostru

Ready to race!
I have the same tune and my car will do the same on all seasons. Once the roads were warm and summer tires were installed that all went away. Do you have their DSG tune?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
watch out, my haldex completely failed ( and the dealer did not warranty it) because of my tune and downpipe etc. (even though I tuned the car back to stock when I took it in).

I was having major wheel hop after stage 2 REVO, and then one day no wheel hop and the front tires just broke loose. only R I know that could do a massive FWD burnout.

Wheel hop can be caused by a few things obviously, and may not be related at all to the AWD system. But, if you have good tires, no broken or worn bushings, chances are might be on your way to a future haldex issue.

How many times do we need to say, it makes no difference because dealer equipment now reads EVERY flash on MK7's, along with whether VW equipment did the flash? Once you're flash tuned you no longer have a VW driveline warranty. Period. Dealers want about $4,500 to install a new Haldex.

Last edited:

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
How many times do we need to say, it makes no difference because dealer equipment now reads EVERY flash on MK7's, along with whether VW equipment did the flash? Once you're flash tuned you no longer have a VW driveline warranty. Period. Dealers want about $4,500 to install a new Haldex.

I ended up going to Pacific German here in Laguna woods ca. They were slightly cheaper than the dealer and I trust them so much more. The dealer didn’t even want to confirm that fixing the haldex would fix the problem lol. Even if I paid full pop at the dealer, I wouldn’t trust their work. They’re such a waste of time.

The guys at Pacific german got me into a rental car so I didn’t have to take off work and their work is trusted.

Looking back, I wish I had known about the haldex issues on our cars as it may have swayed me to go a different route, but I would rather have this issue as a slight possibility than a focus rs warped engine / gasket issue as a certainty lol

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
My haldex failed too on my R. Luckily I am not tuned just slightly modified with an intake and ic. Covered for a brand new differential under warranty.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
I ended up going to Pacific German here in Laguna woods ca. They were slightly cheaper than the dealer and I trust them so much more. The dealer didn’t even want to confirm that fixing the haldex would fix the problem lol. Even if I paid full pop at the dealer, I wouldn’t trust their work. They’re such a waste of time.

The guys at Pacific german got me into a rental car so I didn’t have to take off work and their work is trusted.

Looking back, I wish I had known about the haldex issues on our cars as it may have swayed me to go a different route, but I would rather have this issue as a slight possibility than a focus rs warped engine / gasket issue as a certainty lol

Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently?

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Had a 2017 Golf R
Nah not a haldex issue, stopped launching at 4k and started at 3.5 and had no further issues. I need some stickier tires but fuck that I like sliding