GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

golf mk7 vs audi a3

bobwilson

We're trying to decide between a new golf mk7 GT 5door (fully loaded) and the new audi A3 5door s-line (fully loaded but without the lowered suspension) but for the life of us can't seem to make a decision :confused: so we're interested in people's thoughts who have actually used both cars.

We've done test drives, but each time change our minds towards the other.

Both cars would be fully loaded with the tech options, so end up the same price (£30k). DSG, Heated seats, folding mirrors, auto distance control, park assist, sensors, electric seats with memory, highbeam assist, auto hill hold etc.

With all of our options both cars end up almost the same price!:cool:

We're going for the options we think we'll find them really useful. For example, park assist & surround view will be useful in central london & suberbs with tight parking spaces while traffic is mayhem, and out on the motorway ADC will be really useful, also our driveway is on a steep hill, so the auto hill hold will be put to good use!

We test drove an A3 sline but the ride was too firm and too much road noise on the motorway. We've been assured that this wouldn't be the case on our car as would de-select the sports suspension.

We test drove both and the golf seems to have a more comfortable ride than the A3, but the A3 looks more sporty, feels more solid and seems to have more upmarket appeal.

We'd love to be able to have more time with both cars on our own to make a decision, but it's very hard to find a dealer willing to allow an unaccompanied test drive. During the accompanied test drives, the dealer talks the whole time trying to sell the car while you're driving. We're always conscious that the dealer is desperate to make a sale, and can't really relax to focus on the car.

Has anyone here driven both? We welcome your thoughts as we need to make a decision soon!

le0n1

Ready to race!
I personaly think the Golf exterior looks at lot bether:)

bobwilson

Sorry, pics of the models are attached

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 7,850
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 7,536

ellie43

HiI'm in exactly the same position .... I have to say I felt slightly in favour of the Golf after the test drive. The Audi was a harsher ride (although I would have non-sport suspension) but it is a lovely car and more upmarket (which I think, perversely works against it for me as I felt more at home and more relaxed in the Golf)
I have never thought that I would ever own an Audi so maybe that's in the back of my mind ....
But it is lovely ..... decisions, decisions

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
If they bring that A3 Sportback here to the US (they were only going to bring the sedan, but are now saying the hatch will come) I just may get it over the GTI.
Especially if it comes in at a comperable price.

FRVRNGN

Passed Driver's Ed
If the A3 is not heavier, has comparable fuel economy, and gets 7spd auto (instaed of the Golf's 6spd), I think i'd go for the A3.

I might check insurance rates too.

Tough choice.

EDIT: Find dealers that let you do unaccompanied test drives. Tell them that's the only way you'll consider buying. If they say no, go somewhere else (and see how fast they change their answer to "yes")

le0n1

Ready to race!
If the A3 is not heavier, has comparable fuel economy, and gets 7spd auto (instaed of the Golf's 6spd), I think i'd go for the A3.

I might check insurance rates too.

Tough choice.

EDIT: Find dealers that let you do unaccompanied test drives. Tell them that's the only way you'll consider buying. If they say no, go somewhere else (and see how fast they change their answer to "yes")

Golf has the 7 speed DSG, at least in Norway. Do they have 2 versions of the DSG?

iPope

Passed Driver's Ed
I have drove both of these, unaccompanied.

Out of the two, if I am honest, I did prefer the Audi.

I cannot explain why, I just preferred it, but there was not alot between them.

The main sway for me to a Golf was the waiting time really, if the time was the same for the Audi I would have gone for that.

As regards to the handling, I really found it was like splitting hairs - I couldn't find any difference between them..... both on a dual carriageway and winding Cornish lanes.

I did love the motorized display and the jog dial though!

Aesthetically I find the Audi more appealing also.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Both Golf and A3 come with the same gearboxes/transmissions.

7-speed-DSG - up to 250 Nm
6-speed-DSG -up to 380 Nm (revised version, formely up to 350 Nm)

Therefore it depends on the engine (and whether it's FWD or 4WD)
which DSG it comes with.

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
To me, the A3 looks silly. If I want a hatchback, I am getting a Golf. If I want a 4dr compact sedan, I am getting an A4.
What if you want a little more luxury than a golf? What if you don't want to pay that much for an A4? It's all about options, and trying to get people into the brand.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
What if you want a little more luxury than a golf? What if you don't want to pay that much for an A4? It's all about options, and trying to get people into the brand.
If I want more luxury, my only option would be an A3. If I want a compact sedan, however, I would definitely get an A4 vs VW GLI/CC. Thats what I meant... Many of my coworkers drive A3 Quattros. They just look awkward.

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
The A3 sedan hasn't made it to the states yet tho, that's the one I was referring to. I see what you are saying tho, you just don't like the looks of it. To me, the current A3 looks like an older Golf in terms of body style.

bobwilson

If you're in the US, you're probably talking about the old A3. Here are some more pics for those who haven't seen the cars yet:

Sorry, its very hard to find pictures of both cars in the same colour from the same angle..

Attachments

• spyshots-2013-audi-a3-5-door-sportback-with-rendering_6.jpg
    spyshots-2013-audi-a3-5-door-sportback-with-rendering_6.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 7,230
  • Golf-Mk7-Oryx-White.jpg
    Golf-Mk7-Oryx-White.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 8,385
Last edited: