GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf as a "Borderline Supercar"

AJ15

Ready to race!
To me, a "supercar" is not just speed or raw performance... I look at the WHOLE car; performance, prestige, rarity, fit/finish/materials, the perception of the car, the brand/ownership experience behind it. If it's just speed, then a 500HP turbo'd Civic would have to be a supercar. A supercar doesn't get serviced on a lift next to a 1995 Volkswagen Jetta.

Just an awd hot hatch
Agreed. Though, I would say it's a "Very nicely appointed AWD hot hatch".

Rocinante

I like this thread. I was going to start one about just how good this car is but this will work for that. I have had my Indium Grey DSG for one week and have 1100 miles on the clock. I have owned ten Porsches since 1985. I sold my 2012 991 S Cab and bought the R. This car does everything very well. I wouldn't call it a near super car but it scores 8 ,or higher, out of 10 on all the performance aspects I look for in a car. It handles well and is tossable in turns. It has very good acceleration. It has fantastic visibility compared to my previous rides. The utility is very good as well with the AWD and hatch back. The car is far better than the sum of these factors. It is a blast to drive. It will be put in my list of the top five cars I have owned for overall satisfaction. Today the list is:
1. 2011 Boxster Spyder (the best handling car I have ever driven and the 6 speed manual was a joy)
2. 1997 Carrera 2 Coupe
3. 2012 Carrera S Cab (991 version)
4. 1990 Mazda Miata (a true sports car that was always great to drive)
5. 2015 Macan Turbo (my wife's current car)

I will most likely move the R to number 3 on that list and bump the Macan Turbo.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Does a Supercar come with a Supermodel?

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I'm OK with calling the R a "supercar". It is a car, and it is super.

I think the GTI is a "hot hatch".

We may just need to re-arrange the definition of other supercars into categories like "exotics" and "hypercars". The Golf R is NOT "exotic", nor is it "hyper". But it most certainly is super!

L3it3r1

Passed Driver's Ed
supercar? not really in my opinion:

In my understanding of the term "supercar" (which I will group Hypercars and Megacars into for these purposes), it needs to tick a few boxes:

It needs to be visually stunning
It needs to be fast
It needs to be rare, which in turn, makes it very expensive

The Golf R is not 'visually stunning'. It's attractive, it's handsome, it's understated. It does not grab your attention in a parking lot, going down the road, etc.. it might stand out to car guys, but it's not a 'look at me car'.

The Golf R is fast. Actually, it's supercar fast in many respects - as fast as many supercars of not-too-far-back vintage, and with very light modifications, it will actually hold up well against many modern supercars too.

The Golf R is not truly rare. It's not expensive. For a Golf, yes, it's pricey. But it's not a 'dream car' in the true sense. A supercar is typically very expensive. $200k+ (yes there are exceptions, but they are just that - the exception) I've been in and driven supercars. I've never been in one of them and pulled up next to another one at the light. I've only had my R a little more than a week and I've already done exactly that at least 5 times. And I live in a relatively small town. The final edition Viper ACR I saw the other day? That's a supercar. The R I was driving? no.. not really.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!