GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Give me your thoughts on wheels

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Those wheels look way too busy imo. Too many spokes going in every direction. Looks like a kid scribbled inside a circle and they designed the wheel after it. Again, just my opinion, but they cheapen the look of the car just like slammed stanced suspension setups.

Wheels, like many mods, are subjective. Personally, I think neuspeed or vmr 19s look perfect for a nice looking DD if you can handle the roads. For a more track oriented setup, something like those lightweight konigs (hypergram?) in 18x8.5 are a nice balance between looks and function.

For me, it would come down to 19x8.5 vmr 710ff, 19x8 neuspeed rse14, or 18x8.5 hypergrams. Of course, if you can afford more expensive forged wheels, go that route.

Last edited:

SouthSideGti

Ready to race!
Those wheels look way too busy imo. Too many spokes going in every direction. Looks like a kid scribbled inside a circle and they designed the wheel after it. Again, just my opinion, but they cheapen the look of the car just like slammed stanced suspension setups.

Wheels, like many mods, are subjective. Personally, I think neuspeed or vmr 19s look perfect for a nice looking DD if you can handle the roads. For a more track oriented setup, something like those lightweight konigs (hypergram?) in 18x8.5 are a nice balance between looks and function.

For me, it would come down to 19x8.5 vmr 710ff, 19x8 neuspeed rse14, or 18x8.5 hypergrams. Of course, if you can afford more expensive forged wheels, go that route.

Different spokes for different folks :D:D

those Hypergrams are amazing too... There are few wheels that look BAD on the MK7's

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
Different spokes for different folks :D:D

those Hypergrams are amazing too... There are few wheels that look BAD on the MK7's

Would you recommend I get 19's for the BLQ's? How much are you dropped? Thinking 19s would look better with my ED springs but not sure how ride quality would be. Shouldn't be bad... most R's come with 19's anyway right?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

They look like Spirograph.
I'm of the belief that no element of the car should specifically draw your eye to it at the expense of the overall look.

SouthSideGti

Ready to race!
Would you recommend I get 19's for the BLQ's? How much are you dropped? Thinking 19s would look better with my ED springs but not sure how ride quality would be. Shouldn't be bad... most R's come with 19's anyway right?

Size is up to you. I think they both fit the wheel well, well enough

My specs are 18x8.5 et35, no spacers, Vogtland coils dropped about 1.5 inches on Michelin Pilot Super Sports (225/40/R18) No rubbing with this set up

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
I don't know why but I really want to go with all black. I feel like either way, whichever route I go with... i'll wish I went with the other at times.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I don't know why but I really want to go with all black. I feel like either way, whichever route I go with... i'll wish I went with the other at times.

All black is best black. I mean take for instance a super hot black man in a black on black tuxedo, you can put the same tux on a white, asian, or hispanic man, and even if they are all the same level of hotness, the black on black on black still looks the best. This is ah.... according to a GQ article I read back in like 2008.... yeah lets go with that....

Anyway it's your car and you have to look at it and drive it everyday, none of us have to. So some will say they hate black, but that's just because they don't want to go out to their car and see black rims, not because there is an actual reason. Unless you are trying to appeal to the masses, or win all the internet Instagram whore points, do what makes you happy and what you like. For as many people who say they hate it and it's ugly, there will be that many people who like it and think it's beautiful.

Here is a picture of my car with black rims. Edit... wow that broke tables, one sec...

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
All black is best black. I mean take for instance a super hot black man in a black on black tuxedo, you can put the same tux on a white, asian, or hispanic man, and even if they are all the same level of hotness, the black on black on black still looks the best. This is ah.... according to a GQ article I read back in like 2008.... yeah lets go with that....

Anyway it's your car and you have to look at it and drive it everyday, none of us have to. So some will say they hate black, but that's just because they don't want to go out to their car and see black rims, not because there is an actual reason. Unless you are trying to appeal to the masses, or win all the internet Instagram whore points, do what makes you happy and what you like. For as many people who say they hate it and it's ugly, there will be that many people who like it and think it's beautiful.

Here is a picture of my car with black rims. Edit... wow that broke tables, one sec...

I like those side walls. Don't think that the wheels need to be any bigger imo.

Definitely would look at some actual colors like sunken treasure, bronze, gold, hyper silver or gun metal finish personally

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I like those side walls. Don't think that the wheels need to be any bigger imo.

Definitely would look at some actual colors like sunken treasure, bronze, gold, hyper silver or gun metal finish personally

More info: These are 17" Sparco Assetto Gara Black 17" diameter 7.5 inch width et 48 rims weighing 18.5 lbs per rim instead of the stock 25 lbs per rim. They clear the PP front brakes just barely. If the wheel weights for the rims ran on the same track as the brakes they would lock up due to friction. Luckily for me I had them hunter road force balanced and the wheel weights do not interfere with the brakes. As far as I know for only like $120 per rim, these are the best light weight rims you can fit to the GTI, unless you want to spend lots of money. These rims have withstood some impressive pot holes and road conditions without any damage to the rims or tires. The worst roads most people drive on are some of the best roads I drive on. I may live in one of the most expensive places in the world (#7 I think), but our taxes are not spent to repair the roads. Earlier this year some landslides took out Highway 1 and it still hasn't been fixed.

Edit: I think the tires are P245/40R17. But I'll go check right now and then edit this comment. Whoops they are P225/45ZR17's. So many of the tires I recommend get replaced are 40's that I guess that has defaulted in my mind.

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
The machined silver from rotiform looks great on black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
More info: These are 17" Sparco Assetto Gara Black 17" diameter 7.5 inch width et 48 rims weighing 18.5 lbs per rim instead of the stock 25 lbs per rim. They clear the PP front brakes just barely. If the wheel weights for the rims ran on the same track as the brakes they would lock up due to friction. Luckily for me I had them hunter road force balanced and the wheel weights do not interfere with the brakes. As far as I know for only like $120 per rim, these are the best light weight rims you can fit to the GTI, unless you want to spend lots of money. These rims have withstood some impressive pot holes and road conditions without any damage to the rims or tires. The worst roads most people drive on are some of the best roads I drive on. I may live in one of the most expensive places in the world (#7 I think), but our taxes are not spent to repair the roads. Earlier this year some landslides took out Highway 1 and it still hasn't been fixed.

Edit: I think the tires are P245/40R17. But I'll go check right now and then edit this comment. Whoops they are P225/45ZR17's. So many of the tires I recommend get replaced are 40's that I guess that has defaulted in my mind.
That explains the beefy sidewalls.. they look great on the car and probably make the car feel more nimble and peppy than stock. I have OZ wheels on one of my cars and i believe the Sparco brand is run by the same owners. They are high quality wheels! That was a good pick for anyone who values performance. 245s would be stickier and probably help you cross your third world terrain even better, but everything would be more expensive too.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Neuspeed RSe52 Satin GunMetal on my Black GTI

Attachments

• P1000052 (Medium).JPG
    P1000052 (Medium).JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 688
  • P1000050 (Medium).JPG
    P1000050 (Medium).JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 647

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
The Rotiform are beautiful but I bet they will be a major pain to clean. I like bright colors for wheels and emblems. It makes the details "pop" rather than disappear. From a distance those beautiful wheels in black will look like old black steel wheels. In silver people a hundred yards away will be thinking "wow"...