GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front / Rear Break Pad Replacement

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Hey guys,

I am going to be replacing my brakes pads over the weekend and I have a few questions regarding the process I have a 2016 GTI SE Non-PP. When replacing the front brakes when it comes to the piston do you have to compress them to get the new pads in (I've watched a few videos and didn't see anyone doing this) if I do would a C Clamp do the job? Second question when replacing the rear brakes pads will I need to do anything to release the brakes pads through VAGCOM?

Thanks

Last edited:

danky520

Whoa, I have the same car and same year but why are you replacing them so early? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's have a 'brake'. :D:D

Alright, let's get more serious: ;)

When replacing the front breaks when it comes to the piston do you have to compress them to get the new pads in ...?
:eek::eek::eek: When you need to ask this question you should definitely get the work done by someone else!! :eek::eek::eek:

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Damn people roasting me, it was late at night and I was half asleep when I posted this. But thank you for one reply that was actually serious...

makopolo

Passed Driver's Ed
I am planning on doing front pads this weekend. Definitely look at the youtube guides. You can get a piston compression tool from Amazon and autopart stores should have it as well. On other cars with unpainted calipers I just used a c-clamp.

Just make sure you test the system in a safe location. Perhaps do front first, test drive and then do the rear.

eobie

Ready to race!
Yes, you'll need to compress the front pistons and a c clamp is perfect for the job. FYI the two small bolts that attach the caliper to the carrier need to be replaced. They are one time use. Technically you should be able to reuse them, but for the buck a bolt, why risk it. The bolts for the carrier can be reused. The rear calipers you need the tool to turn them in while compressing them. I haven't done mine yet so I can't tell you any of the nuances.

eobie

Ready to race!
Let's have a 'brake'. :D:D

Alright, let's get more serious: ;)

:eek::eek::eek: When you need to ask this question you should definitely get the work done by someone else!! :eek::eek::eek:

This is nonsense. Everyone learned by doing them. Why discourage people working on their car. At least he's asking the right questions. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
This is nonsense. Everyone learned by doing them. Why discourage people working on their car. At least he's asking the right questions. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Thank you for a good reply. I've changed pads on other cars I'm just wondering if it's any different when changing them on a VW GTI without PP. every video online I never see anyone compressing them

eobie

Ready to race!
Thank you for a good reply. I've changed pads on other cars I'm just wondering if it's any different when changing them on a VW GTI without PP. every video online I never see anyone compressing them

no problem bud, good luck. FYI I just threw the EBC redstuff pads on my fronts and they are working great. give them a look!

eobie

Ready to race!

eobie

Ready to race!
oh, I missed your second question.. if you have the standard e-brake (ie, do not have the electronic e-brake), there is nothing you need to do in VCDS..

Yppf77

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
oh, I missed your second question.. if you have the standard e-brake (ie, do not have the electronic e-brake), there is nothing you need to do in VCDS..

Awesome! You just answered my question. I appreciate it