GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Assist , scary!

Maka344

Ready to race!
What about the driver behind you?

This could be a massive problem is mk7's are being rear ended due to false alarms.

Does it kick in on the motorway? That could be a death trap

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Do you mean the car actually does an emergency stop, or just warns you ?
That what I am wondering - what does the car actually do in the situations you refer to? Does it just tap the brakes to increase your distance from the target car or more interference than that? or do you just mean the red warning comes up? I have seen that once or twice but never have been aware of the car actually braking for me outside of normal ACC operation.

Thanks.

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
For the posters above, who haven't experienced the wonderful technology of emergency braking.... on the motorway the GTD has given a small 2 car symbol at the bottom of display to say "too close".
Once or twice it gave the "large red" warning sign telling me to brake.

The GT never experienced either of these warnings.

Both cars have applied emergency braking (scary, ABS moment) on the occasions mentioned above. (this system has been tested and shown on TV shows such as Top Gear)

My fear is that some day there will be a car behind which rear ends my vehicle because I have unintentionally emergency braked.

My point is, it happens very rarely, once every several thousand mile in the GT, but about every 500 miles in the GTD.

For the record, it's a 2013 GT and a 2014 GTD in case it's a software change, but I think it's to do with different fronts on the different models.

Last edited:

Craigy1

Passed Driver's Ed
What I experienced was something else than what you describe, I know what you mean, I have experienced it myself, not a big issue.

But the scary experience I had on the highway was something completely different. I didn't shift lane or something, just driving in the left lane passing a big truck in the right lane. I was not especially close to the truck, the weather was dry and it was sunshine. The car braked HARD for some tenths of a second before it released the brakes. It was an sensor/system error, a normal good driver would never have touched the brake pedal in that situation!! I don't like it.

If u don't like it then turn it off ! Just press button

dickt

Ready to race!
16,000 miles with the older Mk 7 sensor. it has braked (hard) on me twice when it should not have done. A few false warnings, too.
As it is German, I guess that they have not figured out that we Brits have lots of bendy roads. Even in London, when it did not like me passing a bus on the inside.

Daughter has a rental Golf at the moment. She seems to rely on this gadget.!!!

Mr_Jiminy

Passed Driver's Ed
Have to admit it saved my bacon yesterday... I took my eyes of the road for split second to press the call button the screen, whilst the driver in front decided out of courtesy to let a parked vehicle out. The Front Assist kicked and slowed the car down... Big sigh of relief from moi!

I have had the tinker decide to apply full brake action, because of an empty family size pack, of walkers sensations crisps, decided to masquerade as a stationary object. Alas the system immediately ceased when the said stationary vehicle floated off.

pjr

Ready to race!
I had a bizarre front assist false alarm this morning on the way to work.

As I accelerated around a sweeping right hander at about 30mph, the front assist picked up a pedestrian on the pavement and showed the red chevron & audible warning. There were no other vehicles about and the only moving object was this pedestrian.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
The system doesn't necessarily have to detect a moving object as such to give a warning.

There is sweeping righthand bend I use regularly and I notice if I approach it and leave the steering movement a little later, and depending on speed, it will trigger the warning assuming I am going 'off road'

Clever piece of kit which I like.

bypassbazza

Passed Driver's Ed
Front assist nearly modified backend

Passing a big truck on the highway in 110km/h then suddenly the car brakes hard, some messages in red comes up on the dashboard. There was NO reason for the Front Assist system to brake the car, it must have been a false alarm from the sensors. Scary!! Can we trust the new systems on the Golf?

AGREED - VERY SCARY
Travelling approx. 20mph in traffic a cardboard box flew across front of car.
Car braked hard and stopped - vehicle behind just managed to stop before hitting my backend, but the car following him didn't and went into the back of the vehicle behind me. This is the second time the system has braked the car hard, which was unnecessary and potentially dangerous to other road users. I realise that there should be a safe distance between vehicles, but I am certainly not comfortable with this system - would prefer the choice to permanently disable this rather than having to remember to deactivate it every time the ignition is switch on.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just think - that sudden braking could have caused a car following you too closely to slam into you. I can hear it now, "officer, it was the car not me". And try to convince your insurance company and a court you didn't do a brake check.

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
Just have a dash cam running and it will prove what happened. People shouldn't be following you so close that they can crash into you, but they will.

No need, its their fault, unless you're some serial insurance fraudster it WILL be classified as the person behinds fault not yours: that could have been a kid running out just as much as a box.

in addition, if a kid did run out how would you feel about having disabled the braking system?

Hobby55

Ready to race!
If you had done the chances are you'd have voided the insurance as well as the insurance quotes relate to the safety systems the car has when delivered so any changes and your insurance is gone as well...

I've never had what happened to the OP though it has braked for me when it didn't need to when someone in front pulls off to the left and it catches site of their rear end and notices I haven't braked as I've judged I will miss it be it doesn't think so!!