GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Footwell A/C isn't working. air distributing into dash instead of floor.

panos_lympe

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.6 TDI
Hi team, as the title says i have this issue.

I have found on another forum a similar post from 2015 but it didn't answer my questions.

So i went to the mechanic and he said its the "heat temperature flap actuator" and he asked me 250 euros for the fix (that i can't afford at the moment) so I thought i could make an attempt to fix it myself. (also this component is for the car to choose from cold/hot air - wtf). also when I asked him to show me the VCDS error he refused to do so. furthermore he told me he has to pull the whole dash for the fix, but as google guides me, it doesn't has to be this way. (I don't like anyone to touch my car for such a simple issue)

I searched all over the internet and I came across a fellow golfer in youtube that goes with the name "golfwagen". he has tutorials for everything.

I have so many questions. the old post in this forum said that he solved it by going to the dealership and replacing the blower motor. (i mean if the blower motor works, why it has to be replaced in the first place, all it does is blow, not distibuting air to specific areas).

the issue is that air isn't being distributed to footwell (floor), but when i press the footwell button, air blows to the dash instead. (even if dash button is off)

how you guys you think i should proceed? in general i think the fix is easy if i find the problem and the correct component to replace. can someone help me?

thanks in advance, cheers.

~Panos

*sorry for my non-perfect english
** i drive the mk7 1.6 TDI (2016)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sounds like the air distribution flap motor...really need to see what VCDS or OB11 throws up via the cars fault codes...

Try a reset:-

Start engine and wait for the Climatronic to turn on

Press and hold the AC and Middle Vent button at the same time

All display segments should be fully on. Flaps now will move to max position & back again

After a few seconds the reset procedure is finished & the displays will go back to normal

If that doesn't work then its a new flap motor

One set of instructions here:-
Volkswagen Golf Service & Repair Manual - Removing and installing fresh air/recirculated air, air flow flap control motor -V425-, RHD vehicles - Control motors (vwgolf.org)

panos_lympe

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.6 TDI
First of all I can’t thank you enough for spending even a minute of your life here helping me you guys.

I don’t own either obd11 nor VCDS, but the following week I might be able to provide the codes you asked for.

as I stated earlier I searched the whole internet , so I also made the reset you told me about, with no success whatsoever.

more questions to come:

A) are there many flap motors in the car? (Floor, dash, etc) and if so, how can I know what to replace?

B) I saw your link so I gotta ask.. which photo is the flap motor? Picture A or B?

C) I think myself as a crafty man but also kinda noobie with no extremely rich equipment (I can get my hands on screwdrivers and simple tools but that’s about it) you think I can pull of something like it? I mean do I really need to pull out the whole dash?

Thanks again both of you!!

Attachments

• B51B1D49-FE6D-4576-88A7-7FA9038AC4CF.png
    B51B1D49-FE6D-4576-88A7-7FA9038AC4CF.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 4435A88E-1602-4ED3-8F07-C3E70F1B69E0.png
    4435A88E-1602-4ED3-8F07-C3E70F1B69E0.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 212

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This is from the VW workshop books..

Item No.2 is the "distribution flap motor"...this is basically behind the dash area between the speedo dials & the central air vents.....you have to remove the trim under the dash & reach up...

AC flap motors.jpg

Custom441

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
I am having the same issue as OP. Whenever I select the defrost or footwell buttons I get a buzzing/humming sound from behind the dash that lasts for ~15 seconds then stops. Air comes out of the defrost vents normally, but I am getting nothing out of the footwell vents at all.

Troubleshooting I've done so far:
- Scanned with Bluedriver - Air Conditioning 590081 (no description available)
- A/C & heat function normally through all vents except footwells
- Removed trim and visually confirmed correct movement of the temperature (blend) flap control motor.
- Attempted the reset mentioned above

My suspicion is the air distribution flap control motor. The buzzing noise I hear is coming from that part of the dash as well. I physically felt the blend flap control motor when the buzzing was happening, and there were no vibrations or anything from that motor. Going to see if my mechanic can attempt to renew the flap control motor with a diagnostic tool as mentioned above since I likely can't do that with my Bluedriver. Otherwise it looks like a replacement may be necessary. @golfdave any chance you can send me the removal/installation instructions on pg. 209 of that service manual?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Otherwise it looks like a replacement may be necessary. @golfdave any chance you can send me the removal/installation instructions on pg. 209 of that service manual?

pages 209 & 210..;)

AC V428 pg1.jpg

AC V428 pg2.jpg