GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fluid Extractor (Oil Change Question)

bigdaddyvoodoo

Ready to race!
Due to part laziness and because the oil filter is open hood accessible I was thinking about about doing my oil changes using a fluid extractor.

Good Idea / Bad idea?

Anybody do this?

Should I not be so fat and lazy?

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
I do. Got a Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus.
Pluses are there for sure:
-Oil drain plugs are single use on the MK7 so with extracting you won't need to replace it.
-way cleaner (potentially)
-no lifting the car.

Anyway before I got my extractor I paid for all my oil changes as DIY was too inefficient for me in my current area I live in. Pulling from the top changed all that.

I totally recommend!!
Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
I have used extractors for 3/4 of every oil change across four cars now. I flush the fourth by removing the plug and using leftover clean oil (early) or spirits (high mileage) to clear the pan. That said, if you look in the bottom of the extractor after a change there is sludge and muck in it so there isn't much left over. To each their own, but I think it works very well and saves time and effort so you can keep up with or exceed your maintenance requirements.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I am looking to do my first oil change on my GTI soon, currently at 4750 miles. I have a Pela from my TDI days, and intend on using it.

Couple questions:
1. Has anyone using a Pela (or other extractor) extracted all the oil it could get, then pull the plug to see if any oil was leftover? In my TDI the Pela did a good job, but didn't get everything I found.

2. Where did you get the filter from? The dealer? Amazon?
HU-6002-Z?

Planning switching from the factory Castrol to probably Liqui-Moly.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
I am looking to do my first oil change on my GTI soon, currently at 4750 miles. I have a Pela from my TDI days, and intend on using it.
FWIW-
For the first oil change I would strongly recommend you do it the old fashion method, via the drain plug, to ensure you remove any "stuff" that has settled to the bottom of the sump.....after your first change the extractor seems like a nice DIY tool....
Regarding your question on the filter----I get mine mail-order---The last place I got the Mann filter was Rock Auto

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW-
For the first oil change I would strongly recommend you do it the old fashion method, via the drain plug, to ensure you remove any "stuff" that has settled to the bottom of the sump.....after your first change the extractor seems like a nice DIY tool....
Regarding your question on the filter----I get mine mail-order---The last place I got the Mann filter was Rock Auto

Great advice. Do you know where to get those drain plugs?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Not convenient when the engine needs a rebuild because of the sludge build up though.

I thought sludge was more of a top end and valve train or oil line, internal oil pathway thing? Not so much an oil pan thing.

Unless you never change your oil.

CrankArm

If the cost saving of DIY with the added convenience of an extractor leads you to change the oil more often, say at 60-75% of manufacturer recommended mileage, then sleep well at night knowing that you are taking fantastic care of your ride. If you're changing oil at that frequency, and making sure the oil temp is as warm as your extractor will allow, the last thing I'd worry about is so-called sludge. Love my extractor.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I thought sludge was more of a top end and valve train or oil line, internal oil pathway thing? Not so much an oil pan thing.

Unless you never change your oil.

Modern engines do not get sludge at the top end unless neglected. The sump is the lowest part of the engine and everything the filter misses will collect there including swarf on a new engine. Each to their own but I prefer to be sure I have drained everything out when changing oil.