GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change mileage?

zero10

Ready to race!
What is the normal mileage before the first oil change message appears?

I am at 8800km and my car has just started notifying me I am due in 1200km (it will expire at 10012km precisely), but I thought the first change was due at 15,000km (as the dealership told me when I bought the car).

I've already got the filter at the ready and will do UOA when I drain the oil but I was trying to figure out if I am changing it needlessly early or whether the first one is really due at less than the normal interval.

And, before it comes up, yes I know many change their oil obsessively early, but I believe in utilizing everything effectively, that is, driving for good fuel economy, not wasting oil, etc. so I want to check on what the correct interval is so as to also not cause unnecessary wear.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
In the states the notification comes on around 9500 miles, 10,000 miles being the standard interval here. So, every 15-16k km sounds about right for you if your stock. Many of us will change it around every 8k km, or every 5k miles to compensate for higher hp/tq numbers. For me it is just an excuse to go out to the garage, lol.

zero10

Ready to race!
In the states the notification comes on around 9500 miles, 10,000 miles being the standard interval here. So, every 15-16k km sounds about right for you if your stock. Many of us will change it around every 8k km, or every 5k miles to compensate for higher hp/tq numbers. For me it is just an excuse to go out to the garage, lol.

Which is what the manual says, 15,000km, but here I am with 8872km on the odometer and it's saying 1200km to next service.... (and will turn to 1100km at 9012km I predict)

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Which is what the manual says, 15,000km, but here I am with 8872km on the odometer and it's saying 1200km to next service.... (and will turn to 1100km at 9012km I predict)
I'd be willing to bet you've been short-tripping your car for a good while and, thus, the ECU is prompting the early oil change. Good idea, IMHO.

zero10

Ready to race!
I'd be willing to bet you've been short-tripping your car for a good while and, thus, the ECU is prompting the early oil change. Good idea, IMHO.

Unfortunately you lose that bet ;)

This is my commuter car, 65km each way 80% highway 20% city. There are no short trips here, the car gets warmed up completely every trip and lives in a nice warm garage at home so it doesn't even really see cold starts.

Is everybody seeing the first oil change indicator fire way before 15,000km? Is there any consistency on when it is triggered?
Given it is at 10,012km it almost feels like at 12km some dealership reset the change interval to 10,000km - is that even something they could/would do?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
From what many others have reported, the oil change or service notification seems to be set up for 1 year intervals (from build date) if not the actual mileage. I'd think that it goes with whichever comes first.

My car's build date is 8/2016, and I bought it 9/2016. I got the notification some time in 8/2017 despite having only 8000-9000 miles on it at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

zero10

Ready to race!
From what many others have reported, the oil change or service notification seems to be set up for 1 year intervals (from build date) if not the actual mileage. I'd think that it goes with whichever comes first.

My car's build date is 8/2016, and I bought it 9/2016. I got the notification some time in 8/2017 despite having only 8000-9000 miles on it at the time.

Where do I find the build date? The dealership told me this was a very late production 2017 model year car, and I only bought it in August so I suspect it is well under a year old but now I'm curious and would like to know!

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Where do I find the build date? The dealership told me this was a very late production 2017 model year car, and I only bought it in August so I suspect it is well under a year old but now I'm curious and would like to know!
It should be on a sticker on the driver's inner door jamb -- on the door itself, not the one on the body of the car.

Logistician

I would personally do the first two oil change myself at 100 miles and 1k miles, and then follow the normal schedule.

The reason I do that is to get the metal shavings out as soon as possile. Also because i've always done this with my motorcycles and new cars. Is it overkill maybe, but it makes me feel better.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What is the normal mileage before the first oil change message appears?

I am at 8800km and my car has just started notifying me I am due in 1200km (it will expire at 10012km precisely), but I thought the first change was due at 15,000km (as the dealership told me when I bought the car).

I've already got the filter at the ready and will do UOA when I drain the oil but I was trying to figure out if I am changing it needlessly early or whether the first one is really due at less than the normal interval.

And, before it comes up, yes I know many change their oil obsessively early, but I believe in utilizing everything effectively, that is, driving for good fuel economy, not wasting oil, etc. so I want to check on what the correct interval is so as to also not cause unnecessary wear.

Just read your manual. It'll give you a mileage and time interval (whichever comes first)

In the US it's 10k or one year

zero10

Ready to race!
I would personally do the first two oil change myself at 100 miles and 1k miles, and then follow the normal schedule.

The reason I do that is to get the metal shavings out as soon as possile. Also because i've always done this with my motorcycles and new cars. Is it overkill maybe, but it makes me feel better.

zero10 said:

Gti jake said:
Just read your manual. It'll give you a mileage and time interval (whichever comes first)

In the US it's 10k or one year

That's exactly what I did, and it says 15,000km for the first change, yet here is the maintenance reminder coming up....

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
That's exactly what I did, and it says 15,000km for the first change, yet here is the maintenance reminder coming up....
Did you ever check the build date sticker on your car?