GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First drive review: Golf GTI MK7 (by Topcar)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
^^^according to all the sources that I've read, the GTI will have the 2.0.

By EU application right? By all speculation right? I've heard NO confirmation of what our engine will specifically entail for the NA market. Its merely people saying "Oh, if EU gets this....then we'll get it as well"

Everyone is assuming a 2.0L that is the same in the EU market, but we already know the Silao plant and the Wolfsburg plant will be developing and producing DIFFERENT engines.

I'm keeping an open mind seeing as though our emission standards are more harsh that EU's. Feature cutting is the first thing to go:

Again, MPI is gone.
Rotary Slide Coolant Pump is gone
Valvelift is gone.

"US- specific Components To be updated with future stringency of GHG Rules"

http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speakers/presentations/40/schmidt_oliver.pdf

Grambles knows that all too well. He is not making a displacement comment. he is making a poiunt about the specific features on the cyl head. (the "1.8" head does not have the advanced features of the 2.0 head.)

I myself am speculating a head commonization based off of nothing :D. I shouldnt be doing it, sure, but one can only set their expectation low to merely be surprised in the end.

However, think about this:

If Silao is producing both engines, and we know the features are being cut.......what truly makes the difference between a 1.8L head and 2.0L head?

I, for one, hope the 2.0L EA888 will be imported from EU to apply to the GTI, but again that's just a thought.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Looks like Jamie at VWVortex is getting a chance for a test drive and has some mummurs of what NA application will include.

I'm hoping it'll put an end to my speculation

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
By EU application right? By all speculation right? I've heard NO confirmation of what our engine will specifically entail for the NA market. Its merely people saying "Oh, if EU gets this....then we'll get it as well"
This is straight off of the VW website:

"Lucky 7: The next-generation Golf debuts in NY
You probably know that the Volkswagen Golf is popular, but did you know that it’s our best-selling car worldwide and one of the best-selling cars of all time? Because it is. And that means that people had reason to be excited when we revealed the Volkswagen Golf 7 to American audiences at the New York International Auto Show. Adding to that excitement, the Golf was named “World Car of the Year 2013” by a jury of international experts.

With a recipe as successful as the Golf, we knew that we didn’t want to start from scratch. Instead, we set out to enhance its more popular attributes. We further sharpened its state-of-the-art styling and refined the features that have made it one of the most popular compact vehicles on the road, like its distinctive rear pillars, long roofline, and signature front and rear ends. We also increased interior space for passengers and luggage while only increasing its length by 2.3 inches. (After all, it’s still a compact.)

One big change to the seventh generation Golf is the addition of a standard touchscreen that controls the new information and entertainment systems.* It features a proximity sensor that automatically switches the screen to show the primary user controls. It’s self-explanatory and easy to operate. And because safety is always of the utmost importance at Volkswagen, the new Golf comes standard with front airbags, side head airbags and side airbags in front.**

These changes aren’t going unnoticed. “The Golf is just the right size – it’s spacious, practical and comfortable. It has got a fresh, progressive design, a new range of engines, plus an impressive list of equipment and safety systems. If there is a car for everyone, the Golf is it,” said the World Car of the Year jury.

The Golf 7, which will go on sale in the US in 2014, will be available in all of the familiar versions, including TDI®clean diesel, GTI, and Golf R models. We’re planning to launch with the 2.0 TSI® engine in the GTI, the 2.0 TDI, and a 1.8L TSI in the regular Golf. I hope you’re as excited as I am. For my money, 2014 can’t get here fast enough."

Kevin Mayer
Vice President, Marketing, Volkswagen of America, Inc.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
"Planning"

Having actually and currently worked/working for an OEM, "planning" is very very very open ended. Seeing as though some our designs and features never made it to the model, I still remain skeptical.

Planning could mean further into the model life too.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Ok, here is another link: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/gti-first-drive-event-live-blog/

Seriously every link that I've clicked on talking about the GTI says 2.0. Stop being a negative nancy Grambles! =^P

Again....all that says is that VWoA is planning. Very cryptic words. I even mentioned it in the thread created by Jamie.

In the first slide below you get a general overview of the current features that are planned for our market.

By all means, I HOPE I'm wrong. I hope my source, while extremely credible and has access to VW's system, is wrong as well. We all do. Until an official release is out, I will not believe what is being told to me and I will remain very very cautious.

This is all believing I'm under the condition of considering another VW, which I'm not, UNLESS everything is 100% brought over. MPI, VVL, RS Coolant Pump, VAQ, etc. etc. etc. Doubtful. But if true, I would at least test drive it.

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
I just think what you are suggesting wouldn't be a very good business practice on their part. One of those articles that I posted a link to said that because they are going to be saving money building in Mexico, there will be more options engine wise, not less options. As far as the engine losing some components, that's another story.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I' m confused guys reading the above
Not good news if I say if the article now on www.jayscarblog.com is true.
No Golfs or GTI's until build starts in second quarter 2014 ( Mexico )

Thread posted on TDI club.com

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I just think what you are suggesting wouldn't be a very good business practice on their part. One of those articles that I posted a link to said that because they are going to be saving money building in Mexico, there will be more options engine wise, not less options. As far as the engine losing some components, that's another story.

Exactly. Which is why I think either VWoA Execs are out of their minds, or I'm totally 100% wrong.

Still, given the PDF I posted, we will have a de-optioned, decontented, less featured (Or however you want to say it) engine. This is a technical document from VW. Let's hope the development has changed:

http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speakers/presentations/40/schmidt_oliver.pdf

I think from a sales standpoint, VWoA cannot afford to lose their GTI sales by offering a decontented version here in the states. It would be madness seeing as though the line is being drawn much closer with the Focus ST being a big hit.

I' m confused guys reading the above
Not good news if I say if the article now on www.jayscarblog.com is true.
No Golfs or GTI's until build starts in second quarter 2014 ( Mexico )

Thread posted on TDI club.com

What?

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^Shoooot, I'm surprised that they aren't going to bring some more MK6s in for 2014...Maybe a ploy to blow up sales for the MK7 I'm guessing. I dunno man, VW wants to be the biggest, so I would think that they would want to make their world famous hot hatch the hottest it can be. Here's to hoping, eh?

FRVRNGN

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, US-spec GTI is back on my lust-after list.

There is new info coming out on vwvortex that directly addresses many of my concerns about engine specs. (eg. valvelift is 'in')

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
OK, US-spec GTI is back on my lust-after list.

There is new info coming out on vwvortex that directly addresses many of my concerns about engine specs. (eg. valvelift is 'in')

Could you print the source? I STILL havent seen anything official on the matter. Its just been EU Spec stuff.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
NVM. I found it.

Good deal. But as I've mentioned over on the Golfmk6 forum.....my MKV TSI (among other things) has ruined my perception of VW quality.

FRVRNGN

Passed Driver's Ed
NVM. I found it.

Good deal. But as I've mentioned over on the Golfmk6 forum.....my MKV TSI (among other things) has ruined my perception of VW quality.
I heard that.

AND, as a first year model (@Puebla for US), there are likely to be MANY initial gremlins to be sorted out.

The fact that my excitement outweighs my common sense says ALOT. I hope my overexuberance does not become a horror story. (I am at least convinced in my heart that this is my next new car.)

Being a bit more rational for the moment, a 3-year bumper-to-bumper and (at least) 5yr powertrain might actually be key to my final decision.