GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory QC Mishap: Missing Amber Reflector for Right Headlight

wysl94

Hi everyone, my first post over here (been posting for a bit over at VWVortex).

I recently took delivery of a PW 5-Door Autobahn w/DSG, Leather, and Tech - Tuesday specifically. The car is excellent and I will post a separate thread with pics another time.

But in a nutshell, I discovered a rather interesting defect on my GTI. As you may all know, amber reflectors are required by law for all new cars sold in the United States and Canada. Well, mine only came with one for the left headlight. With the right headlight, rather than the reflector being missing, a clear piece with the exact same design is there instead. I'm thinking this is a piece intended for a South American market GTI that the Puebla, Mexico plant produces in addition to US and Canadian models.

With this in mind, I'm definitely going to call the dealer tomorrow and let them know about it. But beyond that, what should I do? To be honest, I actually would rather keep it as is since it makes mine unique. I've heard that the headlight assembly itself would have to be replaced with a new one, and isn't as easy as removing the headlight cover to replace the clear piece with the amber reflector.

What would you do?

Right headlight without amber reflector

Left headlight with amber reflector

An overall shot of my GTI. Sans reflectors the car looks so much cleaner IMO.

CdnX

Ready to race!
Interesting. Worth bringing up to the dealer and contacting VW Customer Service to let them know. Thanks for posting as it will be something I'll look for on my inspection when mine arrives.

I'd have them replace the assembly.

I would try and get them to replace the left side with another clear one to match the "mishap" as having clear side reflectors now has become a ridiculously cost prohibitive mod if the whole assembly must be replaced. You will probably be the only one!

16plus4v1

Ready to race!
I'm curious how hard it would be to remove the other side? Looks so much better without it. I remember the days of removing reflectors from headlight housings, so I'm sure you could.. but what's involved? I have no intention of finding out on my own lol

b.rock1

I would not suggest trying to remove the other amber yourself - baking headlights to open them up often messes them up in the long-run. Unless you're a pro/have experience retrofitting, you're likely to make a mess and have a leak for condensation and other crap.

The car definitely looks better without the amber though! Interesting if there would be any implications if you (knock on wood) got in an accident and someone noticed the lack of amber.

fluidd

Passed Driver's Ed
Very Lucky! I wish I didn't have amber corners. It ruined the look imo.

The clear corner reflectors are the best!! Keep it OP!

jerhu

Ikea North York :)

The clear reflector does look a lot better I would try to replace the left headlight with a clear one also.

CH2015GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
MISSING AUTO HEADLIGHT FUNCTION

Hi everyone, my first post over here (been posting for a bit over at VWVortex).

I recently took delivery of a PW 5-Door Autobahn w/DSG, Leather, and Tech - Tuesday specifically. The car is excellent and I will post a separate thread with pics another time.

But in a nutshell, I discovered a rather interesting defect on my GTI. As you may all know, amber reflectors are required by law for all new cars sold in the United States and Canada. Well, mine only came with one for the left headlight. With the right headlight, rather than the reflector being missing, a clear piece with the exact same design is there instead. I'm thinking this is a piece intended for a South American market GTI that the Puebla, Mexico plant produces in addition to US and Canadian models.

With this in mind, I'm definitely going to call the dealer tomorrow and let them know about it. But beyond that, what should I do? To be honest, I actually would rather keep it as is since it makes mine unique. I've heard that the headlight assembly itself would have to be replaced with a new one, and isn't as easy as removing the headlight cover to replace the clear piece with the amber reflector.

What would you do?

Right headlight without amber reflector

Left headlight with amber reflector

An overall shot of my GTI. Sans reflectors the car looks so much cleaner IMO.

Hi everybody,

New VW owner - just purchased 8/31/2014 - I stumbled onto a Silver SE 4DR w/ Lighting and FCW + it was a manual... and on my way home from the dealer (2.5 hour drive), I realized that my SE was missing a crucial feature on the headlamp switch. It looks like they installed the S trim w/ lighting package's headlamp switch instead of the SE, because there is no auto function to select from. I went by another VW dealership this morning on my way to work and they acted like they didn't know if they could claim that as a warranty repair??? Are you serious? I have owned the car for three days now and it is clearly a manufacturing error. So, when I got to work I chatted with someone at VW and they were super nice and apologetic. They said they would get a regional case manager to contact me within 24hours and that we would get to the bottom of this. So far, besides this one issue, I love the car. I'm not used to such a comfy cruiser because I had a MINI Cooper S Hatch 6MT w/ sport suspension, roll bar, tune, etc... and it was super rough riding, but the GTI feels as planted in corners, just without the rough ride. I love the new GTI's interior. It feels like it could have come from an Audi. My only other dislike so far is with the OE Tires. Why would VW equip the GTI with H-rated tires? I know my car doesn't have the performance pack, I really thought about waiting but I just couldn't, but still - a Civic Si has at least V rated tires standard. My MINI had Z-rated tires. I will hopefully have the OE Pirelli's taken off and replaced with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's soon. I just wasn't expecting such a low rated tire on such great looking rims and on a great performing car. Again, this is a tiny gripe and most people don't even care. If anyone has any knowledge about the light switch being an issue for other people, please let me know. I hope the GTI community is as open and friendly as the MINI community. I am really looking forward to my first VW being the first of many GTI's to come. :)

Below is a link to my car. I don't know how much longer it will work before they take the car down, but you can see in the pics it's missing the auto setting.

http://www.vwsouthcharlotte.com/VehicleDetails/new-2015-Volkswagen-GTI-SE-Charlotte-NC/2317749273

Last edited: