GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Experience with Stoptech Ceramic Pads

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Does anyone have experience with Stoptech Ceramic Pads Posi Quiet? PP BRAKES.

I have ebc yellows and do not like them. I dont track the car so maybe that's an issue. Thinking of going oem or Stoptechs.

SRoads

Ready to race!
EBCs are general crap from my experience. Some people seem to like them though(very few). I don't have direct experience with Stoptech Ceramics, but their sport pads are great for the money. In general stoptech has a great reputation with their products. Do you want ceramics for the very low dust factor?

Remember the brake pad that stops well, doesn't dust, and is gently on rotors doesn't really exist. You generally get 2 out of the 3 from any brake pad, it's always a compromise.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Remember the brake pad that stops well, doesn't dust, and is gently on rotors doesn't really exist. You generally get 2 out of the 3 from any brake pad, it's always a compromise.

You forgot about low noise. However, my brake pads do all of those things, because they're made of unicorn hooves. :D

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
You forgot about low noise. However, my brake pads do all of those things, because they're made of unicorn hooves. :D

noice!

well- I upgraded from stock to PP front and rear with ss lines. yellow craps up front-
it feels like the stockers (pedal) was better- more firm. probably from the stock pads vs the yellow craps?

yellow craps produce a chit load of dust....semi trucks worth...

do you think the stoptechs will be better all-around? how bout the cerammies>

Thanks!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
noice!

well- I upgraded from stock to PP front and rear with ss lines. yellow craps up front-
it feels like the stockers (pedal) was better- more firm. probably from the stock pads vs the yellow craps?

Thanks!

Well, I've never used EBC Yellow, BUT, I do know that their green pads are more suitable for street use than yellow, which are a more track-oriented compond. So, despite what their marketing department says, I suspect the yellow don't work as well at low temps than regular OEM compound pads.

I'd expect the ceramic pads to be broadly similar to OEM, so if they're cheaper you might give them a try, as I've not heard anything bad about them. However, if you're looking for a streetable pad with more bite and can live with some noise, I've heard Hawk HPS or HP+ are good options.

Ultimately, as tmw2442 said, there is no perfect brake pad. OEM pads have to balance all-temperature braking performance with noise and dust levels, and not wear out too quickly under normal use. Each manufacturer does it a bit differently, so while Honda pads don't make noise or generate excessive dust, they aren't as good as BMW (or most any German OEM) when you have to panic stop. But since luxury car makers know their customers won't tolerate noisy brake pads, even when they're cold, you get pads that generate a ton of dust. It rained pretty steadily for the first couple of weeks I had my GTI (so I didn't get a chance to wash it), and in that time, the front wheels developed a noticeable amount of dust, even though I'm driving the car rather gently during the break-in period.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I had a 2003 Audi A4 1.8t wagon (great car but seriously slow) and it always dirtied the back wheels first, by a wide margin. I’ve always been curious why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
noice!

Thanks!

Did you change the master cylinder when you did this? That will have a noticable impact on the brake pedal feel, the non PP and PP have different sized MCs. Also as for EBC I think the general consensus is they aren't great. I run Stop Tech pads on my TT-RS setup and in the past have used Hawk HPS that I really liked. Try and find a MC from a PP GTI, if you find it from a junkyard it won't be expensive at all, there are plenty of GTIs being parted out.

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Did you change the master cylinder when you did this? That will have a noticable impact on the brake pedal feel, the non PP and PP have different sized MCs. Also as for EBC I think the general consensus is they aren't great. I run Stop Tech pads on my TT-RS setup and in the past have used Hawk HPS that I really liked. Try and find a MC from a PP GTI, if you find it from a junkyard it won't be expensive at all, there are plenty of GTIs being parted out.

Wow- I didn't know the MC's were different on the GTI and GTI PP.

Never knew that!

This would be the cure then?

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
I had stoptech on my mk6. Brake dust from hell. Hawk are a lot cleaner.

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
does anyone have a part number for the larger master cylinder from GTI PP ?
will the golf r also work fine?

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Wow- I didn't know the MC's were different on the GTI and GTI PP.

Never knew that!

This would be the cure then?

Yes, the non PP was 22.2mm MC and the GTI PP and Golf R is 23.8mm. Changing that will make a difference.

Here is the PP/Golf R/ S3 MC
https://www.vwpartworld.com/oem-par...MIwPykoM3m1wIVlhuBCh3wnwuUEAkYAiABEgKEQPD_BwE

And here is the exploded diagram.
http://1stvwparts.com/2017-volkswag...ual_clutch_6-brakes-hydraulic_system-9273480/

Hope this helps. I would bet you can find this for under $100 if you find a car being parted.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, the non PP was 22.2mm MC and the GTI PP and Golf R is 23.8mm. Changing that will make a difference.

Here is the PP/Golf R/ S3 MC
https://www.vwpartworld.com/oem-par...MIwPykoM3m1wIVlhuBCh3wnwuUEAkYAiABEgKEQPD_BwE

And here is the exploded diagram.
http://1stvwparts.com/2017-volkswag...ual_clutch_6-brakes-hydraulic_system-9273480/

Hope this helps. I would bet you can find this for under $100 if you find a car being parted.

Might i ask where you got the info for the non-pp gti MC diameter being 22.2? I only bring it up as the GTI has been 23.8 diameter since mk6 gti (mk5 r32, and mk6 golf r as well). Seems odd if they suddenly backed it down to 22.2 for a non-PP and bumped back up for PP/GolfR

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Might i ask where you got the info for the non-pp gti MC diameter being 22.2? I only bring it up as the GTI has been 23.8 diameter since mk6 gti (mk5 r32, and mk6 golf r as well). Seems odd if they suddenly backed it down to 22.2 for a non-PP and bumped back up for PP/GolfR

That's what I thought. I looked both parts up and they seemed to have the same part number too. My guess is they are the same. Which is fine by me...lol