GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurosport mounts

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I am not entirely sure what my luck is or deal is with this stupid suspension but I seem to keep running into weird crap.

Anyways. I installed Koni SAs and the EuroSport camber mounts recently.
Kept the stock springs, the stock lower spring insulator, and the stock upper spring mount.
I Did however replace the upper spring bearings with these ones specifically.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-strut-mount-bearing-febi-5q0412249e#reviews

Problem is the springs sound like they are binding. I jacked up the front of the car, had the wife turn the wheel and I can feel the area where the bearing is popping around.
I *THINK* the inside of the spring is binding on the bearing where I drew a line. The clearance there is almost zero.
1714739243859.png

Of course I didn't keep the old ones... because why the hell would I? So now I have no way to cross check.

I took the whole assembly out and fiddled around with it after this and everything is installed correctly..I think.
The one thing that caught me off guard was that if I rotate the upper mount the two halves seem to be moving away from each other at a certain point. I think this is just part of the design, because I don't think that lock-to-lock it would see this much rotation.

Here are pics of my install.
Have I done something obviously wrong? Or did I just happen to get two bad bearings?

Attachments

• IMG_3693.JPEG
    IMG_3693.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3692.JPEG
    IMG_3692.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3691.JPEG
    IMG_3691.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3690.JPEG
    IMG_3690.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Well, I have had binding noises on one of my multiple suspension iterations before. Top mounts and bearings (ending E) new, new bolts, everything installed after spec.

Many trials later I went back to the bearing that doesn’t have the multiple holes underneath. Was able to see witness-marks on the rubberized underside of the top mounts. You could see the plastic bearing case w/ the holes was actually sliding ever so slightly on the rubberized top mount.
IMG_7123.jpeg

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Well, I have had binding noises on one of my multiple suspension iterations before. Top mounts and bearings (ending E) new, new bolts, everything installed after spec.

Many trials later I went back to the bearing that doesn’t have the multiple holes underneath. Was able to see witness-marks on the rubberized underside of the top mounts. You could see the plastic bearing case w/ the holes was actually sliding ever so slightly on the rubberized top mount.
View attachment 304205
Oh interesting. I do recall something similar coming up elsewhere. I wonder if that's what is happening. It's just sliding a bit.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Did you use the battery impact to installed the hardware? I know that is not recommended.
Nah. I have pass through socket for the shock shaft and Eurocamber top nut. But I get your point in asking.